Third Original - Hold On

Hey all,

Following posting my first two originals Living Your Life In Your Head and Shadows of our Former Selves in the community I decided to wait a while for my guitar playing to develop further before going back over them and working on more polished versions.

Though, whilst I have been continuing to work my way through Beginner’s Grade 3 I have continued to explore songwriting using it as an opportunity to further consolidate everything Justin has taught me in the Beginner Grades. In this case I’ve used the stuck 3&4 chords taught in Grade 2.

This song goes out to anyone and everyone that has lost someone in their life.

As always feedback is more than welcome and much appreciated.

Click Me:

Hold On - frame

Lyrics

Hold On by James aka Socio

Verse 1:

As the world you know comes crumbling down
And tears of sorrow flood the town
Troubles washed upon the shore
Feelings you can’t take no more

Verse 2:

As the bad news takes it’s toll on you
And every colour turns to blue
Emptiness fills the air
No hope, no joy, just despair

Chorus:

Hold on…I’ll be your shining light
Hold on…I’ll guide you through the night
Hold on…Everything will be alright
Hold on… Hold on

Verse 3:

As all the people gather round
From every street and every town
Every heart is shattered
A million pieces scattered

Verse 4:

When they take a moment to say goodbye
They ask themselves how? and why?
How can we go on?
Why does it feel wrong?

Chorus:

Hold on… Hold on

Bridge:

Believe me when I say it’s true
I’ll always be a part of you
No matter how hard it seems
I’ll be that angel in your dreams

Chorus:

Hold on… Hold on

18 Likes

Absolutely magnificent James. Beautiful song well played and with wonderfully crafted lyrics. Loved it!!!

1 Like

Sounds good, James, and a very universal theme too! The chorus is catchy, and the chords sound full and rich. The opening little walk down is quite nice too.

1 Like

Just saw this come up on my YT feed James so came looking for the thread :slight_smile:
Your original’s are coming on in leaps and bounds, this was great. Really catchy chorus progression and melody, cracking stuff mate.
:+1: :clap:

1 Like

Hello James, oh wow, that’s already your 3rd original :astonished:. You’re very creative and productive :clap::+1::smiley:.
Great song with interesting changes of dynamics. My favourite part was the bridge. It was very catchy :blush:.
Wonderful, thoughtful lyrics, as well.
Thanks so much for sharing :hugs:.

1 Like

What a beautiful tune, James! :clap: :star_struck: :+1:

You have an amazing feeling for putting it all together, lyrics and melody together with emotions - it all fits so well! Just amazing. All your originals were great stuff, but this one I definitely like best. It got me and I bet, a lot of folks out there can relate as well, either being the one needing or providing the shining light. Really great stuff.

But one funny side note: one of my Originals from 15 years ago starts with exactly the same bass walk on stuck 3&4-chords, only difference is I played in completely fingerstyle instead of pick-strummed. :rofl: Maybe that’s why I like it that much? :thinking: :nerd_face: Naah, I like it, because it’s a great tune!

Thanks a lot for sharing - you raise the bar with every post! Already looking forward to the next one!

Cheers - Lisa

1 Like

Nice one James.

1 Like

Loving your originals, James. I think it is really well put together in every respect. I especially liked the change up in the chorus. Also noticed how well you executed the stuck 3&4 chords, solid as a rock. You have excellent feel for lyric-writing.

Keep exploring, I think you are discovering and creating some mighty fine music.

1 Like

You certainly have a blossoming songwriting skill James. That was terrific, well done. The change in dynamic for the chorus certainly mixed things up and kept the song interesting.

1 Like

@Eddie_09
Thanks for the listen and feedback, Eddie. Those words mean a lot to me coming from someone who writes such beautiful songs.

@Mari63
Thanks for the listen and feedback, Mari. It is amazing how sometimes the saddest moments in life can also be the most inspirational moments. I guess music is the gateway to the soul.

@Notter
Thanks for the listen and feedback, Mark. Yes, I seem to have opened up a door and the lyrics have been coming to me and it’s like piecing together jigsaws. How are you getting on with your original? I’m so looking forward to hearing it.

@NicoleKKB
Thanks for the listen and feedback, Nicole. If you had asked me when I picked up the guitar again whether I would record an original I would have laughed. It just goes to show the level of inspiration and encouragment I’ve received from this community. I’m very pleased to hear that you found the lyrics wonderful & thoughtful.

4 Likes

@Lisa_S
Thanks for the listen and feedback, Lisa. A funny side note: I had come up with a fingerstyle arrangement & decided to see if it would work with the lyrics but I was struggling a bit with some of the phrasing so decided to take that arrangement as a basis for a pick-strum arrangement. I’m pleased to hear that you thought this one was a great tune. I would agree with you that this one is better than the first two songs.

@jkahn
Thanks for the listen and feedback, JK. I’m pleased to hear that you thought this was a nice one. I took your advice to polish this one up the best that I could do within my current playgrade and record it properly with the DAW.

@DavidP
Thanks for the listen and feedback, David. I’m pleased to hear that you thought that it was well put together. I tried to incorporate the advice to have the vocals sitting more prominently in the mix. I’m in no rush to race to the advanced grades. So I’ll definitely keep exploring as I take a leisurely stroll through the grades. All part of the musical development. I have another partial one in the works that’s giving me a sort of 60s feel.

@sairfingers
Thanks for the listen and feedback, Gordon. I’m pleased to read that my song writing skills are blossoming and you thought the song was terrific. Back when I first picked up the guitar in my teenage yeats and dreamed of being in a band (as we all did when we were young) I did dabble in some song writing resulting in some really cringeworthy songs.

2 Likes

James, I enjoyed this one even more than the two other songs. You’re really a talented song writer and you are improving every time. Melody, vocals, text and dynamics fit very well together. I appreciate your ability to express emotions with your song writing. Very well done! :hibiscus:

1 Like

@Helen0609
Thank you for the listen and feedback, Andrea. What a lovely comment :blush: I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed this song and feel I’m making progress with writing them. Hopefully, the next one lives up to expectations.

1 Like

Good question James and one that’s had me looking at your originals for a bit of inspiration and guidance actually. I’ve got lyrics, I’ve got a reasonable song structure in terms of chord progression but what I can’t come up with is, what I think at least, is a decent melody for the vocal line. I end up reverting to copying the chord progression which, to me, does not sound good. Perhaps I should just round it out and post it as a work in progress for some advice!

1 Like

The quality was noticeable better. And yeah, I usually try to leave longer comments, but when in a rush a short one is better than none I reckon :smiley:

1 Like

Top notch, beautiful song, well crafted, structured and executed. :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

James, it’s so beautiful! What else to say apart from echo all the positive feedback others have already written? You’re not just playing music, you’re making music!! You’re progressing so well in your Musician’s journey!

1 Like

Hi James,
Nice :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet:
Good in all areas, but certainly also a second time in a few months or years with renewed / improved strum / timing qualities …please :grin: :crossed_fingers:
Greetings

2 Likes

Hey James,
Congratulations on pursuing your ‘originals’ streak :smiley:
I always assume those of us who venture down that path experience a whole other dimension of satisfaction. Keep at it, it only gets better :smiley:
@roger_holland forgot to give you the second slice of goodness in his ‘bad news sandwich’, so I’ll give you extra kudos for tackling a serious subject with appropriate gravitas :wink:
(As an added bonus the title Hold on, reminded me of one of my favourite songs Hold on, Hold on by Neko Case, which I just found the chords for and am having a nice little session with :wink:)

3 Likes

@Notter
Hey Mark, that is great that you’ve got the lyrics and chord progression. I find that it helps sometimes to either try humming the melody line until something sticks and then work with the chord progression and/or record the guitar and sing over it making slight adjustments to the lyrics. No harm in posting something as work in progress for some advice or if you don’t feel ready to post it to a wider audience I’m happy to take a look at it for you.

1 Like