Socio's Learning Log

Sounds like it’s all happening in your house James. Trio+, 2i2 interface package, new source of backing band. Looking forward to hearing the results of all this. :grinning:

I setup the Scarlett 2i2 today and downloaded the trial Reaper software. I had a play about with the software to familiarise myself with it, recording the acoustic. I tried recording vocals and guitar on separate inputs and then both with just the microphone. The guitar sounded so much better using just the microphone. Shame I couldn’t say the same about the vocals :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

It’ll probably be a week or so before the Trio arrives as I ordered it from Thomman. They were £100 cheaper than everywhere else. Maybe the others charge more for supplying a UK version.

1 Like

The three songs I’m currently learning are going reasonably well. One of them I’m currently just focusing on the one particular section I’ve been having difficulties nailing down. I decided to mix it up a little bit and throw two more songs into the mix.

Being a fan of The Who, I’ve added Squeeze Box. This should be a good one to work on the D, C and G chord with embellishments. So far, it’s coming along nicely and a lot of fun to play.

The other song I chose to add to my practice was Dude I Totally Miss You by Tenacious D. I happened to come across a video of KG teaching it. I chose this one as it has a 3:4 time signature. So far, it’s coming along well and the B7 thrown in there hasn’t been too difficult (some how my fingers are listening to me today and going where I want them to go)

1 Like

Mine arrives tomorrow, shorter hop down to France and a normal 5 day turn around. Enjoy when yours arrives.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Well, I’ve been off for a couple of days recharging my batteries. What better way to relax than to pick up the guitar, do a few lessons, and play some songs.

I have to admit that mini F chord is starting to become my nemesis. On the other hand, the F Barre chord is coming along well.

Today, I got to grips with the chord progression and strumming for that tenacious D song. Never did I imagine the day I would be playing along with Jack Black.

That song not only got me playing the B7, which I think is quite a difficult chord but introduced me to the c shaped D chord. With a bit of Googling I found Justin’s 58s video in the playground section of the website covering the c shaped d chord. So much useful information on Justin’s website, I’m going to spend some time going through every page.

On the electric guitar front, well there could be some movement on that front, fingers crossed.

1 Like

Thanks for the update, James, sounds like good progress.

If it makes you feel any better, I am now starting to be able to play the mini F. I found the making the mini-barre and fretting the other notes well beyond my capabilities when going through the Beginner Course. It just took too much dexterity and flexibility.

I think there are many things which in the current moment that are too challenging and then it’s OK to pass on them to come back in the future.

Thanks, David. That makes me feel much better. I’ll just keep working on it as I progress through the course. I’ll probably stay on Module 9 for another couple of weeks and focus on applying the F Barre Chord onto a song or two.

Finally, the electric guitar that I wanted has become available and purchased today. They are going to fit some S Locks onto it whilst doing the setup. So, I should have it in my hands next week to practice those F Barre Chord songs.

Also time I started learning to play standing up.

4 Likes

So exciting James. I’m glad you have good strap locks fitted, essential if you’re standing.

2 Likes

Aren’t they just.

Looking forward to the new arrival.

2 Likes

Damn, my heart cries out to that guitar. Glad I’m getting the GC to fit S Locks onto the electric and it’s cousin. Not that I’m going to be gigging; I just can see something like that happening to me as soon as I try to play standing up and get in the groove.

2 Likes

Don’t do that, Toby!
I just clicked ‘latest’ and this pic came up.
I actually verbalised: “Not again!” :roll_eyes: :grimacing: :rofl:

Once bitten. Everything strapped and locked, after the Cherry incident !

2 Likes

All’s well that ends well.

2 Likes

Good to hear that. How are you getting on with the Trio Plus? Mine should arrive sometime today.

1 Like

Spent yesterday studying the manual but didn’t get a chance to use it due to family distractions. So will be trying some new things this evening and see what the footswitch brings to the party. Have fun once your is out of the box.

Alright, NGD to go along with your previous NGD day!! :guitar: :gear: :grinning:
Looking forward to pics of the guitar and following your journey as you put guitar and Trio+ through some paces.

Hi Robert, I will certainly share pictures when the new guitars arrive next week.

The Trio Plus arrived today. The missus is working tomorrow, so I’ve got a full day planned to start learning how to use it. That’s if my dogs don’t go all weird with it. Happy to share my learnings with you, we can learn together mate.

2 Likes

Thanks, Maggie. I took notice of one of Justin’s videos when he was discussing strap locks. I did buy the D’Addario one for accoustics that he reviewed but when it arrived it didn’t fill me with that much confidence. I’ve been thinking about trying out the MusicNomad Acoustilok as that looks far better. It would be good if Justin reviewed that one too in order to give a more comparable review.

@Richard_close2u maybe that’s something that Richard could suggest to Justin as it’s always good to have reviewed an alternative option.

Just to add the D’Addario Cinch Fit would fit the Hummingbird but not the Yamaha APX600. My concern with the Cinchfit was it seemed to rely on a knot.

1 Like

I suppose I’d better let the cat out of the bag. I’ve been really enjoying the tones out of the Epiphone hummingbird. I’ve enjoyed having a cutaway with the Yamaha APX600 but decided it’s time to move that onwards. So, I struct a deal with the GC for a package comprising of the electric that I’ve wanted, an Epiphone ES-335, and a replacement cutaway Epiphone J45-EC. Both of which should arrive next week. As for the Yamaha, I’m looking to give that to charity as I’d really like to help someone with the healing power of music.

3 Likes