Socio's Learning Log

What a cool and generous thing to do - good on you and I’m looking forward to seeing the new guitars :sunglasses:

James, I’ve been following along with a keen interest, and vicariously enjoying your several purchases. With a Trio+, 2i2 package and an incoming 335 and J45 you are going to be seriously well stocked up on goodies.
Donating the Yamaha is a very generous move. Vibes for that.
I look forward to the avoyp you serve up soon.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

It is my understanding that @JustinGuitar has a charitable trust to supply instruments to those in need. I would think he could give you a recommendation.

1 Like

Thanks, Robert. If Justin has a charitable trust he is associated with that would be a great option.

1 Like

That’s a mighty fine cat, James. And bravo on the choice to gift the guitar.

@laryne Laryne, can you provide more info on the charity? @Socio is looking to gift a guitar to a suitable charity.

2 Likes

27 February 2022

Today marks the day when I consider it now time to move onto Module 10 of the beginners course.

• I get a good sounding F Barre Chord 80% of the time.
  • I’m reasonably confident playing the F chord cheats.
  • I can now play the C Major scale from memory and in time with the metronome.
  • I feel reasonably confident playing the 16th note strumming patterns I’ve explored so far.
  • I’ve added a couple of songs with an F chord cheat to my repertoire.

Next Actions:

• Commence Module 10
  • Continue to practice the Mini F.
  • Work on a couple of songs incorporating the F Barre Chord and Mini F Chord.
  • Complete Strumming Techniques Part 1.
  • Work on a couple of songs with the percussive playing techniques

The next progress update will be when I complete Module 10, which looks challenging with that one finger A chord. For songs, All Along The Watch Tower looks like a good one to add to my practice sessions for Module 10.

I should have the electric guitar delivered next week, so the plan is to alternate practice sessions between acoustic and electric.

3 Likes

Well, the Epiphone J45-EC won’t be making its way to me as it failed the QC. At least the GC does give the guitars a proper QC and professional setup before dispatching them. That’s given me something to think about now, as that was the only J45-EC they had in stock.

Update: An alternative has been decided upon. For the replacement cutaway, I’ve opted for a Cort Gold A6. Guitars are expected to arrive on Wednesday after being set up and S Locks fitted.

2 Likes

Hey! :slight_smile: We’re working on the JustinGuitar ASSIST program, but that won’t happen shortly, just because it involves many regulations and stuff!

So, for now, we can’t help students direct their instruments to charity, but we’d encourage them to chat around the Community and see if they find a fit…

Good luck, and thank you to all of you for paying it forward! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The new guitars have been dispatched. I’m looking forward to finally getting my hands on my first electric guitar. I think it will add a lot of value to my continuation of Grade 2 being able to alternate between acoustic and electric. I’m also looking forward to the cutaway acoustic guitar upgrade as I do tend to alternate with the acoustics. It may not have been my first choice, but the more I think about it, things happen for a reason. The Cort Gold A6 gives me an alternative to the dreadnought, which is something that I never thought of at the time, and it has that vintage tone. As for the Yamaha APX600, I’ve chosen to pay it forward to a local charity. They will sell it via eBay. They get the proceeds to support their amazing cause, and someone out there gets a great starter guitar in fantastic condition. Before the Yamaha goes, I think it is only fitting that I do my first AVOYP with that guitar as it started my JustinGuitar journey. As for the next guitar purchase, it won’t be until I’m intermediate/advanced stage and motivation will be an upgrade to a Gibson. Last month was a one-off to treat myself as I haven’t been on a holiday in years and had the refund from holiday to NYC that I had scheduled and playing guitar has not only been enjoyable but its been great for mental health.

4 Likes

It was a couple of hours ago today
When DHL brought the guitars around to play

Cort Gold A6:

Epiphone ES-335:

Both fitted with S Locks and accompanied by a Gibson Strap.

Boss Katana Mini Amp delivered to get me started with the electric.

Update:

The Cort Gold A6 has been a great surprise as an alternative. It produces lovely vintage tones, and the neck feels great. The setup is fantastic; the dreaded F Chord felt like no effort at all.

The ES-335 that is just a pleasure to hold. It’s going to take a bit of time learning all the controls and that of the amplifier. So lots of fun to be had.

I’m totally digging those S Locks on both guitars. I’m tempted now to fit a MusicNomad Acoustilok on the Hummingbird and replace the pin with an S Lock now.

4 Likes

Sweet happy NGD ! Enjoy.
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

You got yourself some fancy guitars! Now enough of shopping and more playing! :wink:

1 Like

Really nice guitars!

Very nice idea to donate your Yamaha to charity :slight_smile:

I’m still with my first guitar :sweat_smile: and I was waiting to intermediate level to buy my second one. But, I’m starting to want an acoustic one and I’m not sure if I’ll be able to wait seeing all the beautiful guitars all you have 🥲

1 Like

Muchas Gracias Edgar.
You play your first guitar :guitar: very well. I was going to wait until Intermediary Level too but after seeing Nitjus getting his electric in Module 9 and alternating his practice sessions between acoustic and electric, I just couldn’t wait. Hopefully, I can follow in your footsteps and rock the community with it.

1 Like

Both look wonderful, James, happy playing.

1 Like

Sure you will :metal:

1 Like

Happy NGD, James :smiley:
oh yes, and
Happy NGD, James :smiley:
They look gorgeous.
Oh yes, kudos for offering to donate your ‘old’ guitar to someone who ‘needs’ one.
The offer alone spreads good vibes, even if matching up presents its own problems.
Cool :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks, Brian (@brianlarsen). Let’s hope I can make them sound as gorgeous as they look. I gave them a bit of play last night along with the Trio Plus. That’s a neat little magic box, I’m glad a few folk posted that you could use the Trio Plus at the stage I’m on. Once I get properly familiar with using it, I can see that adding an extra dimension to my song practice.

Today, I downloaded and installed OBS. Time to learn how to use it along with the Scarlett 2i2. I presume that I just need to configure OBS with Audio Input as the Scarlett 2i2 and video input as laptop camera, hit record and walla I’ve recorded a song that’s butchered original. Still to get to grips with the Trio Plus, but I’m sure @sairfingers post made reference to where there was some good information to digest to get started. So some time needed to get put aside for learning all this gadgety stuff. All part of the learning process.

2 Likes

New guitars look great James. Enjoy!