Soldier's Eyes (Jack Savoretti) + A Symptom Of Being Human (Shinedown), two covers

Hello folks! I’ve got something here for you.
In his original, Jack Savoretti has only acoustic arpeggios and a very simple violin. So I allowed myself to add a bass with drums, a rhythm guitar, changed the violin and added an acoustic solo at the end. It doesn’t seem to have ruined the original.
The second song is different in style, but there was no bass in the original either! How is that? I had to fix it :slightly_smiling_face:
Just in case, I add lyrics for fear of my accent :thinking:

Stream Soldiers Eyes cover (Jack Savoretti) by crocodile1 | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

Stream A Symptom Of Being Human (Shinedown) - cover by crocodile1 | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

Hope you like it,
Leo

Lyrics:

Soldier’s Eyes

Lately I’ve been wondering what’s been going on
I’ve been here before but I don’t remember when
And every time we get to where we’re entering
I feel my beliefs and hopes surrendering

But I know I’ll be coming home soon
And yes
I know that I’ll be coming home soon

Cause like the enemies that we are battling
I am nothing but a human alien
Left with nothing else but to keep wandering
Down this path whilst stopping my hands trembling

Because I know that I’ll be coming home soon
And yes
I know that I’ll be coming home soon with a soldier’s eyes
With a soldier’s eyes
With a soldier’s eyes
With a soldier’s eyes

I’ve seen inside the devil’s dreams where young men die
And graveyards open up their arms for mothers left to cry
I have seen the bleeding and I hate what we’ve done
But just like every other fool here I’ll keep marching on

Because I know that I’ll be coming home soon
And yes
I know, that I’ll be coming home soon with a soldier’s eyes
With a soldier’s eyes
With a soldier’s eyes
With a soldier’s eyes

A Symptom Of Being Human

I can still remember me and Miss November Rain
Beautiful and strange
Always so inclined, coloring outside the lines
Yeah, you were never on time

You’ve always been slightly awkward, kind of weird
Upside down and not all here
What’s wrong with me and you is crystal clear

Sometimes I’m in a room where I don’t belong
And the house is on fire and there’s no alarm
And the walls are melting too
How about you?
I’ve never been the favorite, thought I’d seen it all
‘Til I got my invitation to the lunatic ball
And my friends are comin’ too
How about you?
Don’t worry, it’s all just a symptom of being human

Unpack all your baggage
Hide it in the attic, where
You hope it disappears
This all seems so familiar
But it doesn’t feel like home
It’s just another unknown

You’ve always been slightly awkward, kind of weird
Upside down and not all here
Right or wrong, it’s all so crystal clear

How about you?
How about you?
Don’t worry, it’s all just a symptom of being human

We’re all just passing through
Passengers on a ship of fools
We’re all just passing through
Passengers on a ship of fools

How about you?
On a ship of fools
Don’t worry, it’s all just a symptom
Of being human

8 Likes

Sometimes, when you’re a passenger waiting for a ship of fools, not one but two arrive together
What can I say?
Nailed again :laughing:

Loved the Western feel to the beginning of the Soldier song (funny, I’m working on a western myself), before it descended into a punky folk rock.
Yeehah! (I shall skim over the depressing topic of soldiers’ eyes :roll_eyes:)

The human song- Again, all the elements weaving in and out together.
A sonic kaleidoscope if that makes sense
Bravo! :sunglasses:

1 Like

These both sound absolutely amazing - vocals, guitar, backing, production - everything! Superb work Leo!

Leonid

Particularly enjoyed A Symptom of Being Human: I could sense your belief in the song in every beat, every word of the performance. Excellent.

Brian

This is just amazing Leo! I can’t imagine how many years of playing/practicing are needed to be able to put this together. I loved that acoustic solo in the first song at the end, I would love to see you playing it. What do you use to record/edit/mix your sound?

Leo, these recordings are fantastic! Given that you have a very beautiful voice, can I ask? …how many years are you into learning to make music? To my ear these are like professional performances. Thanks for sharing them! And a lot of :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::blush:

Hi Leo,
Solders - Good tune, well done. I like the tone on your A Guitar! Good vox too, like how you doubled them up in spots. I would call this a toe tapper for sure…

Human - This is good, but I think I like the other tune better. This has a nice airy feel to it. Well done all around and a good listen. Enjoyed it and look forward to more down the road!

Keep up the good vibe!
LB

Hi Leo,
:clap: :sunglasses: :clap: :sunglasses: :man_bowing:
Absolutely great songs and the way you bring them :boom: :dizzy:, and the lyrics also make my thoughts run,
Greetings,Rogier

@brianlarsen
Brian, thanks for your comment. It’s always interesting to read your original humorous conclusions :wink:
I was supposed to name the Soldier song genre as country, but that’s not quite it. And it turns out that this is punk-folk-rock. Bravo!

1 Like

@twistor59 @beejay56 @LBro @roger_holland
hanks guys for your kind comments, it’s uplifting and self-esteem :smile:

@Boris1565

Thanks, Boris!
I first picked up a guitar at the age of 12, it was 100 years ago. I studied classical guitar at music school at that time (I only had enough for two years :laughing:), and since then I have had the “wrong” non-rock’n’roll setting of my left hand with my thumb under the fingerboard, and the guitar on my left knee :wink:
All these years, I’ve been playing guitar from time to time and singing in the campfire style. And about 15 years ago, I started to study music more closely.
I record music and mix it in Cubase, using the UX1 tonport from Line 6.
This solo was recorded using a condenser microphone and a tube preamp MiniMic on a Gibson J-45 custom. I can say that it wasn’t easy to pull a bend and play vibrato on 12 gauge strings :laughing:
Drums are from Addictive Drums. Keyboards, wind instruments and strings are from HALion Sonic, played on a midi keyboard. There is nothing complicated about this!
Leo

1 Like

@SILVIA

Silvia, thank you for the warm comment!
All my life I have been playing the guitar and singing, with varying success :laughing:
And I decided to do this seriously about 15 years ago. But I’m still an amateur musician, and besides, I retired a year ago. So there is more free time now :wink:
They teach recording music and mixing at universities. This is definitely the right way. And I’m slowly moving forward through trial and error, but it’s very interesting :grinning: Well, the Internet helps, you can learn something from there.
Keep on rocking,
Leo

He learned from the best :laughing:

The Croc is rocking again !

Leo

Did not know the Savoretti track but some real powerful lyrics there amongst other messages !
As others have mention a definite Spaghetti Western vibe. Like what you did with the Shinedown cover, its a little laid back than their normal stuff and you really did it justice.

As usual top notch vocals and playing, all aligned with a polished production.

Thanks for sharing Leo.

:sunglasses:

@brianlarsen

:rofl: :+1: :clap:
OK, I’m making an edit. I’ve been playing guitar for the last 56 years of my life.

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner
Thank you, my friend!
And I love that picture of you with green :wink: