Soliciting Opinions - Small(er) Acoustic

Played one of these at Guitar Center today:

Ortega Flametalā€¦ setup like a steel string but strung with nylon stringsā€¦ bright tone, very light, small feel with a nice look & sound. About 1K USD.

Tod

Thank you for sharing that, Jason. It sounded lovely - the guitar sounded quite well balanced.

1 Like

Interesting comparison.

This is excellent, thank you Joshua.

This is a cool comparison tool:
https://alvarezguitars.com/compare-guitars/

1 Like

My P20e has been a great travel and convenient grab and play companion. Worth a look if you can play one, good luck in your search. Iā€™m going in the opposite directionšŸ˜€. More on that shortlyā€¦Rod

3 Likes

Iā€™m very happy with my Martin 000jr. It has a smaller, shallow body with a really lovely tone. Best of all (for me) the nut width is a comfortable 1 3/4 inches. You wonā€™t get that from a parlor guitar or most other smaller guitars. And itā€™s a 14 fret.

For reference Iā€™m 5ā€™7 with long limbs but with joint issues. Iā€™m an advancing beginner and have had a Jim Dandy, Seagull S6 and a Lucida Arista classical guitar. The Martin 000jr is my favorite and I expect to be playing it for a long time.

Depending on your budget you could consider the nicer Martin 000s, supposedly the US made ones have more consistent quality? Some online sellers will set up your guitar for you, which makes it more likely youā€™ll like it.

Good luck!

1 Like

Hi Judi.
I also found my dreadnaught was too large to be comfortable , after looking around I tried the Yamaha APX series ,much slimmer body and was surprised by just how much more comfortable I found it ,ended up buying the 700ii ,fantastic guitar and its helped me advance so much faster as I canā€™t put it down ! hope this helps ,best of luck .

Hi David, That Yamaha APX series looks nice! Thanks for pointing it out.

I just bought a Martin 000 junior streetmaster. Electric/acoustic. I am not particularly small but I wanted my first acoustic to be easy to play. I love it. Has a cut away. Warm sound, very comfortable. Small but mighty. Makes a world of difference after playing a crappy electric.

2 Likes