Some people move a lot when playing guitar :) what do you think?

Speaking of music, I recently stumbled upon Nadja Salerno-Sonnenbergā€™s incredible performance playing Bach on the violin. Itā€™s an absolute marvel! Her expressions and the way her left hand dances on the strings are truly captivating.

By the way, if youā€™re ever in the mood for exploring more strings, Iā€™ve been on the lookout for some exquisite violins for sale. The idea of adding a violin to my musical journey has been lingering, and Iā€™d love any recommendations or insights you might have. Do you have any favorite places or tips for finding the perfect violin?

Outright moving between various spots on stage is probably rehearsed and a designed part of the show - but making guitar faces, as well as swaying your body etc, is most likely not something the player is planning to do. It happens automatically, and it the body responding to the music you play. Some of the most soulful playing, on stage, that Iā€™ve seen from a player like Gary Mooreā€¦ Iā€™m 99% sure it would not have sounded the same (and as good) if he had forced himself to be absolutely still. I actually doubt he could have done that, even if he triedā€¦

For my own part, I do also make guitar facesā€¦ and cannot avoid it. Believe me, on certain recordings I wish I had more control of the muscles in my face, but it just happensā€¦ stupid as it might look.

1 Like

Joshua Bell is indeed a maestro, as for Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg, sheā€™s truly captivating. The way they move around just adds depth to their performance.

I think of such ā€œnaturalā€ movement while playing (as opposed to choreographed stage movements) as a good, desirable thing. The musician is feeling the music, which helps with expression. It often also helps with keeping time, in my experience.

In the classical world, ā€œmovingā€ is usually considered a positive. In fact, when in an orchestra setting, a musicianā€™s movement is one of the factors that is considered when seating that particular musician. Directors often want to place musicians that move into the front of their section as their movement can help others to stay together.

1 Like

Moving about while gigging or playing is one thingā€¦.
Then thereā€™s Mick Jaggerā€¦.
Jagger is estimated to cover about 12 miles every night as he surges about the stage, and he does so with a dancerā€™s lithe freedom of movement.
It typically takes me the better part of a week to do 12 miles & Iā€™m about 20 years younger than the Mick!!! :crazy_face:

Tod

I apply some movement (in a sane dosage) to support the expression. but without really thinking about it.

When Iā€™m on stage I use movement in a more concious way to help the entertainment factor.

No matter how you look at it; when there is something to watch, it makes up a part of the impression people have. Iā€™m not a masterful musician but I fill some of the gaps with some show

Tonight Iā€™m also solo vocalist for some songs and Iā€™ve been memorising the lyrics and I askedfor a wireless mic so I can get ā€œout thereā€ and go nuts! :smiley:
Entertainment mode!

1 Like

I think that will accentuate, a live classical performance. To much and it will be fit for a metal concert.