Someone To Watch Over Me / Gymnopedies

Hi guys!

After having a year where really busy I am happy to see life getting back to normal. Also, I at least get to play the guitar a bit more :slight_smile:

To “restart” I wanted to record all the songs I have learned so far (at least that is the plan), I’ll post a few of them here. After that I will see where to go from there on :wink:

As always, I am happy to receive constructive criticism!

After a thousand tries or so… there you go. I was really heisted in the middle to just end it then and there, but then went on for the second chorus, praying that I didn’t have to restart once again! Quite the relieve after finishing. Also, I at least have the right guitar for all that jazz stuff, I really like how the guitar feels quite different in my hands then my squire Strat:

(I love the song, the tabs I got are really …meh. I even changed some of it, but I just don’t like the version. I will leave it there for now, I don’t am too exited about the song (as seen in my face, lol), so maybe some other day I am more “inspired”)

Cheers,
Kevin

12 Likes

@GreenRider This is absolutely fantastic Kevin and very inspiring! One day I hope to be able to play like this. I won’t be buying another guitar though.

You didn’t get this all from JustinGuitar so how did you learn it please?

Peter

1 Like

Both of those pieces were beautiful Kevin. Excellent work .

2 Likes

That sounded beautiful, Kevin! What a way to come back after a break. :smiley:

It’s way beyond my playgrade to offer any advice or feedback on your playing. All I can say is I enjoyed both tunes. Thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow, Man that sounded good Kevin.

First up your video was as clear and sharp as I have seen recently, really nice. Through my headphones the sound of that guitar was ridiculously good :+1:

I really enjoyed the first, but like you I’m not sure about the version of the second one, there’s plenty out there to play around with so I’m sure we’ll see you with this again but great finger work on both well done. :+1:

2 Likes

Fantastic playing, Kevin! Both tunes sounded so good. You are so far beyond my playgrade, I can’t give constructive feedback. Watching your videos is a big motivator!

1 Like

These were fantastic! I wondered if Gymnopedies was possible on guitar, I’ve only started out but it spans a few octaves at once. I wonder if the best guitar version would need two people playing, one doing the bass (notes, not bass guitar) and one on melody to be right. (Your playing was phenomenal but I’m also with you on the arrangement not quite being right. I think you really need those high notes to make it pop.)

Anyway, gorgeous audio, thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well JustinGuitar did give me all the Building Blocks i needed. All the theory, the foundation, how to practice effektively, etc. it really is a wonder that all that is for free :trophy:
I learned violin as a child and had 16 years of lessons - that really helps a lot. Talking about guitar, i really started with lesson 1 in module 1. Corona was a huge booster for me, because i had all that time and played pretty much 3+ hours every day for two years. Truly a horrible time, but at least for me personally, there was some good coming from it.

But I think that from a certain point on, for example to learn harder songs, there wont be any tutorials, etc. then it’s just you and repetition, repetition, repetition.

Yess… i found a few versions that are really great, but i just don’t like the song enough to transcribe it. Liked the observation of the high notes though - I always felt something missing, but couldn’t put my finger on it. But i think that’s it!:point_right:t4:

Well thank you so much, that made my day. :smile:

2 Likes

What a lovely warm mellow tone, Kevin. Your play sounded fluent and relaxed in both. Not much helpful comment I can make, well above my playgrade.

1 Like

So did you go all the way to levels 7 and 8 where Justin starts on Jazz? And did you learn the first piece from a chart and the sheet music as that is beyond level 8?

Peter

1 Like

I think I did it until grade 5. After that i spend a lot of time with practical Music theory, and then jumped directly to the jazz stuff :wink: