Songs For Module 2

I was going through my old songbook from the Classic course and found Lay Down Sally. Grabbed my guitar and ran through it a couple of times and thought “This should be on the App!” It is, but I found what I had on paper was quite different from the App. The number of bars per chord was more than in the App. When I compared my paper copy to Justin’s lesson, they were the same. Which version should I use?

Signed: Confused
But thanks for your help!!

1 Like

I chose to use Justin’s This Land Is Your Land . It uses just the three cords A D and E. The strumming patter I used was a basic down pattern for 40 bpm for starters. I increased it in increments of 20 bpm in practice sessions until I was comfortable at around 120 bpm. Next step is to play with different strumming patters.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum Rich. Sound like you have a good plan for learning the guitar.

1 Like

Thank you for the nudge to check out the music. Most of these are new to my taste and I like them! Thanks Justin. You the coolest teacher bro.

2 Likes

Hello! I’m enjoying the lessons so far and just went through the Module 2 videos. Trying to use the JustinGuitar song app for practicing songs. Seems like some of the songs Justin recommends for Module 2 are not in the app that I can see? “3 Little Birds” is one that seems perfect for this level and that he demonstrates in the videos. Is this not in the song app? Thanks! - Andy

1 Like

Hi Andrew, due to licencing issues, some of the songs were removed from the app. “3 Little Birds” unfortunately was one of them. Same with “Wish you were here”. There are a few threads about that, just type “missing songs app” in the search function and you will find them. Musopia, who provides the app, comments on that issue in several topics.

2 Likes

Hello Andrew, as Andrea has already written, Three little birds has unfortunately been removed from the app.
I used Justins song lesson to learn it. Chord progression as well as lyrics are quite easy. Therefore, it wasn’t really a problem to learn it without the app :slightly_smiling_face:.

I wish you lots of fun with it :smiley:.

2 Likes

Thank you Andrea and Nicole! I just checked out the song lesson and that will do just fine. I’m getting the chords down I’m just SUPER slow at changing :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Hi again,
that’s absolutely normal :blush:. Your tempo will certainly increase the more you practice. I wish you lots of fun with it :smiley:.

2 Likes

Hi Andrew, this was my go to song early on and I still love playing it now! It’s a perfect one for your first 3 chords, the E to D is the catcher change!
As Nicole says, keep doing your OMC exercises and supplement whilst playing this tune, you’ll get there in no time. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Hi guys!

Currently, I am in Module Two of Grade One and I’ve been in it for about three days. My chord transitions aren’t the fastest or cleanest and I’m finding the last song, Down On The Corner pretty difficult and have ended up skipping it for the past two days.

I try to do daily metronome chord changes for 5-10 minutes for A/D & A/E but I get a bit flustered and start messing up finger placements once I go above 45 BPM, I imagine I just need more practice.

Should I be attempting the last song even if I feel it’s too quick for me? I have only introduced the E chord recently and it tends to be the one that I mess up first and it goes downhill from there.

Thanks so much, I know practice makes progress so I’m hoping in a week from now I’ll be in a much better place with the routine.

2 Likes

Bring up the song on YouTube to play along. You can slow it down on there (try 85 or 90%) while keeping the pitch the same, so the chords sound right but it’s easier to keep up.

2 Likes

3 days is not a lot of time to be honest and 45 omc is pretty good for 3 days. I would do more anchor finger changes, just at 1 min for those chords. But credit where credit is due, you tried the song on your first day in the module if you skipped it for 2 day, cudos. I’ve been in grade 1 for 3 weeks and not tried a single piece yet lol…

Dont beat yourself up over having a go, now you know whats needed just, do your anchor changes and your OMC’s and all will be well. :slight_smile:

Your anchor changes will far exceed 60+

R.

2 Likes

I’d say give the song a go and low it down if you need to. If it sounds bad then so be it, it’s part of the journey. Take a mental note of how it sounds and after a few days of practice, even though it’s still unlikely to be perfect, you’ll have a benchmark for how you’re improving. The problem with skipping the songs is that songs is what we aspire to. The chord change exercises aren’t fun so you might start skipping days because you can’t face another session of chord changes. Remember you cash also simplify the strumming right down to a single down strum when the chord changes and build that up gradually

2 Likes

I cant find this song listed on the site, I searched every song on the site and justin has 4 song right now and only 1 song in grade 1 “Bad Moon Rising”. Is the song on the App. ?

Rachel.

1 Like

It is on the app but it’s not a beginner song as the chords are C, F and G! It won’t be Bad Moon Rising either as that’s D, A and G with a fast tempo

2 Likes

I wouldn’t get stressed about it. Early on you are trying to learn technique and everything is newish. Everyone wants to play songs, because that is what we are here for after all, but you need to balance technique and learning songs. Trying to learn a song that has a ‘difficult’ bit is good because it creates an interest in getting the technique down that is behind the difficult bit.

Personally, I wouldn’t just try to push through with poor technique just to get a song under the belt. Work out the bit that is difficult, which you appear to have done, then focus on getting that up to speed before continuing with the song. No matter what, get the rhythm consistent and do not increase speed until you can do it cleanly. That could take weeks, but it is worth it in the end. We all have different mountains to climb, and you can carry on with other lessons while working on this technique in the background.

1 Like

C F G is a 1 4 5 progression, so is A D E so it can be played that way but if you wanted it to match with a recording you would need to put a Capo on the third fret!

2 Likes

Hello @lewislarsen and welcome to the Community.

Justin does not recommend practicing chord changes to a metronome.
He has one-minute changes, air changes etc. to practice moving between chrds.
Trying to change to a metronome is going to frustrate and put unnecessary pressure on you this early into learning. I recommend you abandon that practice.

For contextual practice in time with a steady beat play to songs or the app (slowed down if need be).

100% amen to that.
Learn songs, learn songs, learn songs.
From the very moment you learn to change between two or three chords.
And strum just once per bar.
Simples.

I hope that helps.

Cheers :smiley:

| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

3 Likes

Hello Justin

can you do some gospel music if that is posibble

1 Like