Songs From Your Youth

@direvus
Have a look here Brendan. It’s a 3 chord version.

Haha I thought somebody might bring that up :slight_smile:

I had previously seen Justin’s Walk of Life lesson, and given it a little go, but for me that particular DS track is OK but it isn’t a favourite, and plonking along with basic chords isn’t the thing that gets me excited about their music.

I also looked up Justin’s lesson for Sultans and judged it way beyond my skill level. Then looked up Romeo & Juliet, same thing. Then Brothers In Arms, same thing. I’m not even going to look up Wild Theme from Local Hero until I’m at least a few more months along because I couldn’t bear to butcher it.

1 Like

Great shout Rick, some vague recollection of that song from way back when.
Not a lot of forum and playing time with family over but finally got round to replying and some brief Open Mic prep which just happens to involve a Trio and some good old rock from the early 70s and something recent, well 2003 which is new for me. :rofl:

Being a late starter I’ll need to apply some reverse logic to what inspired me. When I was really into the music of my youth, playing wasn’t on the radar and none of my mates played either.
My brothers mate turned up at the school’s Common Room and blitzed Oh Well Part 1 about a month after it had been released but I don’t recall anyone who played contemporary music.
Getting a guitar as a surprise for my 40th gave me 4 decades of music to reflect on when thinking about what I wanted to play. Some may look at that as a bonus but for me it just threw up hurdles of where to start, having experienced so many inspirational songs and bands.

Thinking back I guess it will be a no brainer that Skynyrd’s “pronounced” was top of the list, along side the early Fleetwood Mac hits - Man of the World, Black Magic Woman, Oh Well and Need Your Love So Bad. After that it would have been Deep Purple In Rock but just so many to choose from I’d better stop there.

The wise words of Jethro Tull still ring true and will do to my last breath.

You’re Never Too Old To Rock n Roll.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

2 Likes