Songs From Your Youth

Let’s here song from your younger days that inspired you(or made you want) to play guitar.
This song came out when I was in High School in 1977 playing in a Garage band that was going nowhere. I think it was the motivation to keep playing.
I dedicate it to @TheMadman_tobyjenner who is still young at heart and playing Rock and Roll

2 Likes

I remember getting my first guitar this year (it was red and white) from my eldest sister and I would pretend to copy Paul McCartney, I would have been 6 years old Christmas 1977.

3 Likes

This was one of the songs that got me interested in guitar a long, long time ago.

4 Likes

This one got me interested

2 Likes

There are so many songs of my youth that fueled my desire to play guitar. Simon and Garfunkel, James Taylor, Gordon Lightfoot, CSN&Y, the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, the Kinks, the Who, Glenn Cambell, Merle Haggard, B. B. King, Howlin
Wolf, and so many others. But the one song that really put the burn in me was Purple Haze and later If 6 was 9 by Jimi.

1 Like

Robert @ChasetheDream
Ditto far to many but what is fantastic I am now learning to play some of them.
Michael :guitar::notes:

This one was probably the one that made me realise I couldn’t play guitar. - YouTube

Prior to that I was trying to play this one

3 Likes

Thats a big guitar he has there. Its like wagon wheels you remember them being huge then when you grow up you think they shrunk them.

1 Like

Great topic here Stitch, I think overall Nirvana made me pick up my guitar in my crazy teens. Although I think what really made me push a buy now button for an electric guitar was this:

2 Likes

@stitch Fun topic, thanks Rick.

ABBA’s Waterloo was the first song I can recall connecting to, aged 8. Lots of music of various genres from then but no desire to do more than listen and enjoy. Until I saw the Stones concert film Let’s Spend the Night Together in a cinema Rolling Stones - Under My Thumb LIVE Tempe, Arizona '81 - YouTube

2 Likes

There were a few of groups that got me interested in playing guitar, but the first songs I learned around 1964 were by the Beatles. However, the person who had the biggest impact was Tom Rush. I listened to his music when I was a teenager and have seem him live a few times over the years. It was seeing him perform in Loveland, CO around 2007 that inspired me want to play again.

1 Like

I inherited my first guitar so it wasn’t actually a song that got me into it. However, Eric Clapton Tears in Heaven was a game changing song for me. Early on in my guitar journey my teacher played it and said it was my next song. I was flabbergasted and said i’d never be able to play that! I was wrong. She was right. Took a while but i did it and 12 years on it’s still one of my fave go to songs. It did masses for my confidence and self belief. It’s just practise! Where have we heard that before?! :wink:

3 Likes

When I was a kid, school teachers assured you that “musical children go to music school”.
I felt little for learning notes and thought I wasn’t musical. One even insisted I wasn’t musical by giving me the easiest parts to sing.

Yet, I felt like an electric guitar would be something for me.
Around that age, I started attending art school in weekends; I traded football for art.
The first assignment was a full boy self-prortrait on a piece of street and everybody would be joined in a big parade by piecing the pieces of street together.
I painted myself with a black stratocaster, white pickguard, maple neck.
Little did i know, that would become my first guitar (a cheap knock off) and after that the real Strat as first “real, decent guitar”.

I knew the Dire Straits from a friends father’s collection; Money For Nothing and Sultans Of Swing showed that there is a plces that combines “clean”, “rock”, “fingerpicking”… all in one.
I also likes a lot of different styles and artists and came to realise only later, Eric Clapton guest-starred on my of them. Meanwhile I was thinking; that guitarist in this song, does he know he might be just a big a star as the artist of this song? :smiley: Well, GUESS HE WAS :stuck_out_tongue:
Who is that guy? Oooohhh he plays a guitar names Blackie and it is…a black and white Strat with a maple neck. Too many coincidences pulled me into the blues but I didn’t know a single chord. I learned intro’s of Metallica songs until I found Justin when trying “Johnny Be Goode”. The rest is history.

3 Likes

For me it was, and still is, Def Leppard first and foremost. But also Guns n Roses and Metallica. For electric guitar, that is. For acoustic, it was Simon and Garfunkel.

2 Likes

I don’t remember a time when Dire Straits and Fleetwood Mac wasn’t playing on my Dad’s stereo. That music has been with me my whole life.

Later on found out that the music for the film The Princess Bride, another huge part of my childhood, is also composed and played by Knopfler, so his approach to playing guitar is just completely etched into my soul.

There are many guitarists I admire and enjoy listening to, but if you asked me to picture a cool guitar player, the image that would pop into my head every time would be Knopfler tearing up the solo in Sultans.

Unfortunately for me, not a lot of beginner-friendly items in the Dire Straits catalogue!

3 Likes

It wasn’t until my teens I really discovered music. Until then Dad’s tapes of Travelling Wilbury’s & Cat Stevens were on repeat at home. Which are pretty good, but not very diverse and didn’t make me want to play.

It was Weezer that first got me into rock music. One of two CDs I was given by my uncle when I first bought a CD player. Rock music got me into playing drums.

Playing guitar though. It was Nirvana really, when I picked up a guitar as a teen that was all I played. Badly!

Still like both bands,

4 Likes

Brendan @direvus
In my case it was me playing the stereo
Michael :unamused:

2 Likes

Well, it was playing on my stereo too, as soon as I was old enough to have one!

Hardly a “guitar” song or group but the riff from Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode caught my ear as something I wanted to play.
For a proper song then Black Crowes - Hard to Handle.

3 Likes

For me it had to be American Woman by the Guess Who (5) guess who- american woman - YouTube
The riff that Randy Bachman played was very easily embedded as a earworm (Earworm - Wikipedia) and air guitar was the only effective treatment I knew.

Glen

Edit:
Damn, 5 minutes after posting this its stuck again :frowning:
I guess the upside is that now I know what I’ll be working on in this afternoon’s practice session.

1 Like