Songs in 3/4 timing

Looking for some recommendations.

I want to add a few more 6/8 and 3/4 songs to my repertoire.

There are an abundance of 6/8 songs and plenty of threads discussing them but what about 3/4?

What are everyone’s favourite 3/4 songs to play?

1 Like

El Paso by Marty Robbins
Mull of Kintyre by McCartney
I’m so Lonesome I Could Cry by Hank Williams
Mr Bojangles by several people

2 Likes

Oh, and Norwegian Wood by The Beatles

1 Like

This gentleman composed a lot in 3/4 :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

There’s plenty of 3/4 in the classical music. Otherwise the only ones that come to my mind are:

Happy Birthday
We wish you a Merry Christmas
Greensleeves
Oh my darling Clementine!!

:wink::grin::blush:

2 Likes

This is in 6/8.

3 Likes

Haha very true, although much as I enjoy listening to Strauss, I think playing his music might be a bit beyond. Hank Williams, Marty Robbins and Wings might be better.

1 Like

The Times They Are A-Changin’

1 Like

Leonard Cohen “Take this waltz” :slightly_smiling_face: (something I would like to be able to play in the future, since it has so dark but beautiful lyrics)

1 Like

Que sera, sera

1 Like

Thanks all for the suggestions, some great songs in this list.

1 Like

Manic Depression. Hendrix tune. Waltz on steroids.:+1::guitar:

1 Like

The Google-Machine to the rescue again :grin:

3 Likes

Tennessee Waltz - sung by so many famous musicians -Eddie Arnold, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Hank Williams Jr., Connie Francis, Patti Page, Patsy Cline, Bonnie Raitt - even Elvis :sunglasses: - and more! Only 4-5 open chords in the simplified versions and not vocally difficult.

1 Like

The problem with a lot of these online lists, including this one, is that they include 6/8 songs. I have heard Justin say the same thing.

Hey @CATMAN62. Thanks for the recommendation on Tennessee Waltz. It has become one of my absolute favourites to play on guitar.

1 Like

I’m so glad that you’re enjoying playing that song! It was one of the very first songs I ever played from start to finish (very badly!!!) & I really like the various interpretations from different artists!!! Les Paul & Mary Ford did a nice version………

Tod

Dig a Pony