Sound issues with a Strat

Are there brands that you can recommend that are “seriously good” or do you just go by price?

Generally, there’s absolutely no reason for an “excellent” 3m guitar cable to cost more than $20-25.

So, if you pay more than $25 you are probably paying too much.

You can get decent guitar cables for less than $10 if you know where to buy. Heck, you can buy the components and build your own 3m cable for less than that!

The biggest issue (IMO) is where you buy your cables from. If you buy from a DIY shop, then it’s more likely to be rubbish than if you buy from a music store.

Also, make sure that what you buy is a guitar instrument cable, not a speaker cable or a line-level cable. The difference between these is impedance, and it matters. It makes zero difference to the cost of the cable, but it does make a difference to the function.

So make sure the cable you buy is for a guitar, and not for some other purpose.

The second most important feature is ruggedness, as guitar cables take a bit of a beating. So paying more for decent quality cables make sense.

Personally, I have had very few cables that have presented problems, and that includes some that have cost as little as $10. The most I have paid for a guitar cable is $30.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

I’m using the Digiflex Performance Series cables that are sold on Amazon, maybe elsewhere too, and they are great value. They are made with really nice flexible cable, it feels like silicone but they don’t say that it is in their ad copy, and they are fitted with unbranded Neutrik REAN plugs.
Sizes 3’ - 6’ - 10’ - 15’ - 20’ and 25’ all priced between $10 and $22, they can’t be beat IMO.

I’ve also got the obligatory $$$ curly cable that is stuffed full of impedance for those times when I really want to get serious about cutting high-end. Or getting my Jimi on. :grin:

Oh, forgot to add that they also have a lifetime warranty.

2 Likes

Unfortunately not available in Australia. But I am able to get a Mogami Platinum cable for A$165.

Well, maybe not. :astonished:

The cable I bought 20 years ago was made by Pete Cornish. I love it (as much as you can love a cable), but I wouldn’t ‘recommend’ it for two reasons …

• Sample size of 1 :slight_smile:
  • These days there are very good cables available at 1/3 of the price

At the time I was frustrated with poor quality cables, there was less choice at that time, and as far as I could tell Pete’s stuff was as good as it got.

1 Like

I can totally understand that. I also love having products with a back story. I love my MXR reverb pedal because I bought it second-hand from someone in Kyiv who was in the middle of a war. I will never part with it.

1 Like

I like the Boss BIC range of cables. Bit pricey maybe compared to others but still reasonable and I suppose that’s what happens with branded products.
To me, they seem very well made. I’ve got 2 and I’m happy with them.