Sound issues with a Strat

Hi everyone! Hope all of you had a great X-mas and new years eve!

I have decided to put the acoustic aside for a while and focus more on electrical.
Anyway. I have a sound issue with it. The sound goes «in and out» it is not at an constant rate, sometimes its all good, other times it is hopeless. I would guess it is a circuit issue somewhere, but i am thinking that it should be gone all the time… its no difference between pickups, it is all the same, same with potmeters and volume knob. It just come and go regardless of pickups,potmeters and volume knob.
Anyone else experienced this? Is it a big deal to open it up and check connections? Loads of vids on youtube, but not on this exact issue.

I made a quick demo to show what the issue is.

Hi Trond,
The times I have experienced something like this (quite often) there was something wrong with the wiring in the pocket of the guitar where the cable went in the guitar (1 x), and all other times it involved one end of my guitar cable. That reacted as I now hear from you and you could solve that by yourself, but yes, what if it is a gremlin or so???
Good luck :crossed_fingers:
Greetings

1 Like

have you tried a different lead? That’s the most common issue for something like that.

1 Like

Lead? Cable???

Yeah, the lead between the guitar and the amp gets a lot of stress and they often fail like this.

Hi Trond … it`s not you alone :sweat_smile: ,I googled this above and yes …cables :joy:

Lead, cable, cord, Bl**dy thing that is always failing - it has many names :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have used two different cables, same issue. So i have ruled that out… turns out it is the same sh***y cables. I opened them up and re made them up again. Issue solved. Its not 100% perfect, but way better. I guess i have to buy some new cables, these two is dirt cheap cables bought from a «hardware» store

Thanks @mathsjunky @roger_holland i gave learned something new today :grin:

2 Likes

What are the chances ??? 2 cables at the same time :see_no_evil:, well that’s one of the reasons I went wireless… never had to worry about breakage again :sunglasses:
Good to read it`s that soon found :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hi Trond, I had some issues with my strat clone (pre used) too. It wasn’t as heavy as yours but considerably remarkable.
The crackling and some interruptions came from an older (broken) guitar cable in combination with a slightly loose output jack. I got that fixed in guitar store, they checked the wiring too, but nothing wrong with that.
Before opening the guitar I would check cables and connection outside.

Edit: you solved it, while I was typing :joy: and be careful when fixing the jack, there’s a chance to damage cables inside…

1 Like

Glad you figured it out Trond.

For sure, it is not necessary to buy the most expensive cables, but getting a decent, value-for-money cable from your local guitar shop is a good idea.

1 Like

Yep… i have struggled a bit with this for a long time to, since there was two different cables and not used that much either.
It was you and Paul that convinced me, so i had a good look on them. The issue was there on those cables all the time…
Lessons learned: do not buy cheap cables from «hardware» stores!!

1 Like

Is it the same in all 5 selector switch positions Trond ? If its been left for a while or just left in one position, its common for a small amount of oxidation to build up which can cause similar symptoms. Flick the selector quick and hard from position 1 to 5 and back again a dozen times or so and see if that helps. Even 3 way toggles are a right PITA for this !!

Hope that helps.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Ok. Keep that advice for later…
it was a cable issue, easy to fix. But i have to go for something with better quality. Superhappy it wasnt something internal that had to be fixed.
So all good for now :grin:

2 Likes

Good you found it in the cable. Sometimes these things take a bit of searching.

When you select your new cable, make sure the strain relief was crimped. I have purchased cheap cables and the manufacturers don’t seem to understand how to assemble them.

In the photo below, the cable outer cover should be crimped by the connector “wings” to hold the cable I’m place. This cable didn’t have that until it broke, and I found it was because the wires were poorly soldered and there was no mechanical strength with the outer cover loose. It is ideally done with a proper crimping tool that maintains the circular shape, but you can do it with pliers if you are careful. It only takes enough crimping to hold the cable in place, you don’t need to press too hard and certainly don’t want to pinch the wires inside. Somewhat hard to get a good photo. look where the cable meets the connector and try to see two metal “wings” wrapping around.

A better cable will also have heat shrink tubing around the whole thing with a little hanging past the screw-on cover to help relieve strain at the cover so the cable doesn’t break there with flexing. I had to repair my best cable there a couple days ago because the heat shrink tubing broke due to me flexing it a lot on one guitar.

1 Like

Yep. My cables looks exactly like the first picture. There is no crimp at all on mine. When i opened them it is quite easy to see that they were of poor quality.
I will for sure get some quality cables from now on :grin: at least i now this can occure and do something about it.

go ahead and repair that one you have. it may work fine for a long time. If you have heat-shrink that will help a little.

1 Like

Yep. Have taped them up a bit. Sonthey work now :grin:

That looked like a cable issue right away; that or something at the jack.
Always a sigh of relief when it’s something “simple” as that :wink:

1 Like

About 20 years ago, sick of cables constantly failing, I bought a seriously good one. It is plugged into my strat as I type and I have never had an issue with it. If it ever dies I will be very sad.

1 Like