Sound of Silence -fingerstyle arrangement

Love this tune! Thanks for sharing and for the arrangement link - River Flows in You is lovely song as well. I’ve yet to start my finger style journey but definitely encouraged to do so thanks!

1 Like

Nicely played, Leon.

You might experiment with plucking closer to the neck (i.e. near the neck side of the soundhole). It’s just a matter of taste, but with a capo in that position the guitar is always going to sound very “trebly,” so changing the RH position closer to the neck can re-inject some more warmth (which might also help de-emphasize the staccato thing you mentioned). As I said, that’s a matter of taste. I’ve seen videos of Paul Simon playing this and his RH position is pretty much exactly where you’re playing it, so your position definitely isn’t “wrong” or anything. Thought I’d mention it as something you might want to try, though.

1 Like

Interesting thank you! I tried this briefly tonight, think it also helps to get the thumb more level like Adi was saying. What do you think is causing the stoccato? Likely just sloppiness right?

Very nice, Leon. Looking forward to Part 2. Fingerstyle is something I hope to aspire to very soon. Great inspiration and well done.

1 Like

That was beautiful! Nice sounding guitar, may I ask what make it is?

1 Like

Did you purchase his tab for this? Unfortunately, it is not available for purchase in the USA. I am building it from his lesson instead.

I would happily pay for his work, but not ready to commit to his Patreon yet.

Building it myself is a good lesson anyway.

Thanks. It is a Faith Venus Hi Gloss. It’s an eletro accoustic, that recording is from plugging the guitar straight into the computer.

Hi

I got it from his Patreon a long while back but looks like you can buy it here:

Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence by Fingerstyle Club Sheet (mymusicsheet.com)

Unfortunately, not available for purchase in the USA.

I will look through and see if I want to do the patreon. I want to support, but a monthly subscription is more than I need.

This was awesome! You should record a new version of this, I’d love to see where you are at with it. Good work!

1 Like

I like this version very much. Beautiful playing and nowhere near as easy as you make it look and sound. Keep going!

1 Like

I really liked that. Nice chords, nice finger work, nice sound. I am going to try and learn your version. :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like