Sound of Silence -fingerstyle arrangement

Hi all

It’s been a while since I posted a video of me playing.

I think my technique has improved since my last post. Don’t think I claw as much but would welcome freedback.

I’ve been working on and off a long time on Sound of Silence. This arrangement (not mine!) is in two parts, part 2 requires slaps with simultaneous plucks which I am still working on (have been most of the year)!

I think I am almost there on part 1, though seems to me I go a staccato at points.

All constructive criticism very welcome! Thanks

17 Likes

I can’t view video, Leon. It’s declared private.

1 Like

ah my bad. made it public.

Hi Leon, Coming along nicely. Played 1 fret down from where Paul Simon played it? Nice in all respects. Clean, nice rhythm and some pull offs, hammer ons and slide! Nice job.

1 Like

Hi Leon, its sounding good and I look forward to hearing the full version.

1 Like

Sounds very nice, it’s a song that’s on my list of songs to learn.

1 Like

Sounds so nice!
Superb version.

1 Like

Very nice work Leon. Your perseverance is paying off.

1 Like

Nicely played Leon. You’ve clearly put a lot of time into that piece. Well done.

1 Like

Well done Lean. That sounded great.

Played very well! But I will yet again recommend working on thumb placement, parallel to strings with rest of the fingers slightly curled up :slight_smile:

1 Like

I nearly missed this, Leon (just when I thought I had my notifications set up just right).

You are doing well in every respect on part 1. Some tricky looking changes to get the fingers round, plus embellishments.

Keep working it and look forward to hearing you progress it!

1 Like

Thanks for the comments everyone. Much appreciated.

Adrian: I’m trying to understand the purpose of thumb parallel to strings. Is it to try to pull the hand closer in? I feel that’s what happens when I try to put my thumb parallel, my palm naturally wants to come close to if not touch the bridge, guess maybe this will provide more accuracy?

Thanks David. Yes the change to the middle (F) and higher up the neck has taken a long time to be able to do with correct timing. I’ve worked on this piece on and off for over a year. I ditched it for about 5 months. When I came back to it, at first it felt impossible but then very quickly I got back to where I was previously and then quickly surpassed. I am a firm believer in dropping stuff for a month or two when you are stuck on it for a LONG time. I believe it gives the brain chance to forget some of the inaccuracies it learnt. Heard a guy called Jerry Moffat (very famous climber) refer to this as the renaissance effect.

1 Like

It’s to avoid fingers interrupting each other, to increase autonomy of the thumb and to allow for some more dynamics, its easier to get a more aggresive way for note to sound out. On top it also helps when you are playing percussive elements against high E string. Of course many musicians don’t do that and it’s fine as well, treat it as a friendly suggestion rather than me pointing out any issues with your play, you did great.

1 Like

I thought that was really good Leon.

Great plucking and the timing was great.

I can’t wait to see the finished song.

1 Like

That was a lovely version! Well played. Thanks!

Can you share where you got that version? I am working on Justin’s lessons now, but once I get that down, I might like to try the one you have used.

1 Like

Thanks Jamolay.

I got the arrangement from here Fingerstyle Club - YouTube

He does some great pieces. I’m currently learning his version of River flows in you which I am finding beautiful but really hard.

1 Like

Very nice, such a lovely song to work on fingerstyle. You’re doing great! Cheers, Mike

1 Like

Leon,
Nice fingerwork. Nice a mellow and maybe I need some of that as it is quiet and early in the house now. Very soothing play. Maybe a hint of hesitation in one spot, but a very clean play of this!

Keep up on top of the rock!
LB

1 Like