Sound of Silence rehearsal

Tonight was my OM Debut, unfortunately I blanked halfway through this song. Here’s a rehearsal from earlier in the day. There’s some clipping on the guitar in the louder passages, I think corrected at the OM, but that’s what rehearsals are for :sunglasses:

17 Likes

Ian, this is so amazingly beautiful. I love your version. :star_struck: And you sounded so good in the OM as well. Things happen…

1 Like

Great stuff Ian. Really enjoyable listen, super playing and singing. Well done on your OM debut I thought you did great. :clap::clap::clap: Best wishes, Alan

1 Like

Hey Ian - that was wonderful, but so was last night’s performance. That was a tough song to take on for an OM, let alone a debut, and we’ve all blanked on lyrics before. Top job all round my friend.

1 Like

That was great Ian, I enjoyed it! You need to show us your right hand next time - I was really interested in seeing picking/strumming.

1 Like

Great job Ian great cover, always good to hear so many subtly different version of this old classic. Great fun to play as well (I did a version of the original and Disturbed cover a while back), also brings back memories of years gone by.

Have to agree the levels were a bit hot now and then on this one but I am sure you’ll get this dialled out with more recordings and experience. The balance for the show was fine and hey, don’t worry about the “void” it happens to us all. I think in one OM I sang 2 verses out of order and missed another completely and a shed load of chords :rofl: So great debut sir !!

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Great performance last night Ian!! :clap::clap::clap: both sounded great, i am a huge J Cash fan so i have to go with Folsom prison blues as the one i liked best last night :grin:
That minor glitch last night was nothing…

2 Likes

Hi Ian,
:boom:
But it’s such a shame about the clipping, I hope you record a new version, because your voice is so nice to listen to and you play this song really great and while this song starts my wife immediately says that she wants your version and also I like it better than the original…nice and uptempo (I’m going to use your version as an example for practice):sunglasses:
:clap: :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet:
Greetings

1 Like

Great performance yesterday, Ian! No worries about the blanks, these things happen and it was still a great listen. :slight_smile:

Besides the clipping, I really liked this version, too. You surely made the tune your own, which I find great with these kind of all time classics that were already covered 100 or even 1000 of times. :clap: :+1:

Very well done and I’m already looking forward to hearing more of you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Everyone was enjoying it Ian, we were willing you on, hoping the lyric of the next line would crystallise right before your eyes to allow you to carry on.
Bravo all round.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Bravo!!! I appreciate your creating and publishing this video. I hope to get to your level of self-assurance and comfort with performing.

I reached out to an instructor for lessons, availability, and times. I feel a tele-lesson will work best for me. Upcoming transfer and frequent travel make an in-person lesson more difficult.

Have a great day. Time for me to get to church…

1 Like

Enjoyed that, well played and sung. Shame about the clipping but its something to learn from.

1 Like

Can’t show my right hand without cutting off the top of my head, unless I sit further back.from the webcam, in which case I’d have to move the piano out of the way…hmmm maybe I could set the cam up on a tripod, if I can find a long enough cable…

Leave it with me

1 Like

Toby, I can’t understand why the levels on this recording are so hot, they were perfect the day before (vox -14 and guitar -18 LUFS) then I came do do last rehearsals on the day and the guitar was at -10 :man_shrugging:. I suppose it’s possible that I moved the gain dial on the AI when I switched it on (although I prefer to just blame the AI for being cheap chinese cr*p) but anyway I spent over an hour getting them right for the show, during which I recorded this video, and decided they were as good as I was going to get at 5.58 pm, leaving me just enough time to grab a brew before logging in for the soundcheck! :rofl:

1 Like

Sorry Rogier, I’ve been playing these two songs so much that I feel the need to learn and play new songs. Maybe I’ll revisit this one in a few months time

1 Like

Thanks for your support Richard, I noticed too late that you’d typed the next line into the chat!
My learning takeaway from this is to have a chord & lyric sheet within easy reach when performing

Nice one Ian. You can tell you took the time it takes to really master this song. It all looks smooth and sounds very good.

I hope that’s some kind of fish-eye effect of your camera by the way. If not, then that neck looks awefully bent. :wink:

1 Like

Don’t worry Jeff, it’s the camera. I have a habit of always buying the cheapest tech I can find :grin:

1 Like

What a terrific OM debut from you last night Ian I was hoping you would post the full version of this and here it is! :smiley: I love how you build the song starting softly and intensifying as it progresses, you’re a very good singer too - a very enjoyable listen :clap:t2: :clap:t2: I hope last night was the first of many OM performances I look forward to your next one :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Nicely played, Ian, a refreshing cover of a classic song.
Kudos for bouncing straight back too … :clap:
Onwards & upwards … :wink:

1 Like