Special Guest: Joe Robinson (Fingerstyle Technique)

What an inspiring teacher. Thanks to Justin, I completed beginner grade 1 in guitar, but I’ve been away from lessons for a while. I always wanted to learn finger style, but didn’t know where to start. I’ve been reading comments on Joe’s course, and I’m considering the purchase. Thanks for the discount!
First stop however…Justin’s finger-style lesson that has been in my for-later list.
This was only my second Clubs event…a brilliant addition to JG. I donated separately after today’s event.

4 Likes

Absolutely brilliant lesson yesterday! And thanks a lot for the additional material, priceless! Thank you all for making this possible for us! :heart:

All unanswered Q&A now added to post 1 above.

1 Like

Thank you all at Justinguitar so much for making this happening! That was really inspiring! What a nice guy he is…and he also gave us his advice for good practice which is basically what Justin reccomends all the time! He explained everything really clearly step by step and now I need 15 extra minutes for my practice routine! That’s not possible, more for my brain actually! But I can start slow and just have 5 minutes and improve my thumb independence as main goal for the moment :hourglass_flowing_sand:

3 Likes

I’d like to echo, what others have already said. That was an excellent session. I’ve done some very basic fingerpicking so far, but never tried Travis style. It sounds absolutely great. Definitely a lot of time and effort necessary to put into it, but it sounds so worth it :star_struck:.

I’m just wondering, whether now’s the ‘right time’ for me to dive into it :thinking:. I’ve still not completed grade 2. I’m too busy learning songs :sweat_smile:.

2 Likes

@Artie_Fufkin

Vintage Club #7 on Monday 12 February! :slight_smile:

There are two suggested JustinGuitar lessons in my preview notes here:

I won’t be covering the Travis thumb style in the early sessions. Maybe further down the line.

6 Likes

im looking forward for the video to see what i 've missed

Thank you Justin and the team for putting last nights class on, it was excellent with much inspiring information. :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

Guitar is hard enough getting my left hand and right hand doing different things in sync with each other… now I need to break it to my poor brain that it needs to get the thumb and fingers on my picking hand moving independently as well as forming chord shapes with my other hand… :exploding_head: I am looking forward to trying, it just may take some time :joy:

3 Likes

I get the feeling that I missed something…hopefully this lesson video will be available soon :crossed_fingers:
Greetings

3 Likes

I forgot about lesson at first, luckily the muscle memory kicked in and I caught the last half!! :wink:

I’m gonna tell ya what! What an amazing finger style guitarist Mr Joe is!! Very inspirational!

I no longer worry if my practice schedule looks like a “journal”! :grinning:. Mr. man had several!! I figure I keep this up and mine will end up the same way, I reckon!!

I do like finger style, I practice this on a regular. However my real goal is the Blues, so I don’t practice finger style as much as blues or my song repertoire. Even though there are 3 songs I like to play finger style, a 4th I am working on that is a Travis picking pattern.

A massive shout out to @JustinGuitar @Richard_close2u @LievenDV @LeeMB and his team! Y’alls rock! So happy to be a part of this! I would hug ya’s all if I could. But I can do it electronically! :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:…close enough.

Rock on!
Darren

2 Likes

It was a great session! Thank you to the whole team that put this together. I have recently practiced the Fingerstyle lessons from Justin’s Intermediate book. I’ve only recently discovered there is a continuation of those lessons on the website. After I complete the jazz and blues lessons in the Intermediate book, I suppose I will gear toward the Folk and/or Fingerstyle. So, wondering if I should continue on with what Justin has, or should I jump in with the awesome discount and purchase Joe’s course. Or maybe I can do both!!

Hi Artie, like @mattswain, I’m a beginner just getting going with finger style. If you can attend Richard’s Vintage Club, do - you’ll learn a lot, and there’s the opportunity to ask questions in the Zoom app. If you cannot attend, do check out the recap in the Clubs Archive. That’s usually posted a day or two after the lesson.

The songs I’m practicing are all in 6:8 time. For these, thumb plucks the lowest note in the chord, then the index, middle, and ring fingers take care of the remaining notes. (I think there are one or two proper shortcuts for referring to fingers, but I don’t know them!) So for G - thumb strums first on string 6, C - string 5, D - string 4. I have a song where I’m playing G as follows: string 6 - thumb, string 4 - index, string 3 - middle, string 1 - ring, string 2 - middle, string 3 - index.

I offer this as observation rather than instruction. :smiling_face: As a beginner, I’ve found that emulating the lesson instructor (assuming it’s a beginner lesson) is the best way forward. In my experience, a simplified technique is often taught, to be built upon later.

2 Likes

I think it’s a bit six and half a dozen. In terms of fingerstyle it’s a bit less but in terms of chords, theory and scales a bit more paced. I agree it could be broken down further based on another beginner fingerstyle course I’ve completed. But I would have to say in terms of fingerstyle guitar it’s slower paced than JG fingerstyle lessons.

3 Likes

I thought that was a spectacular club event and from the above comments it seems like a lot of members gained a lot from it. The only thing I think was missing was the alternating bass not on the D chord for example.

Definitely yes. Practice the thumb exercises that Joe presented over and over as you working your way through Grade 2 . Just spend a few minutes each day working on it. Then once its embedded start slowly introducing the fingers to play the melody.

Hit me up dude. I may have something for you. :wink:

3 Likes

Has anyone here purchased Joe’s course from his website? If so, are you able to print the tabs off in order to practice away from the screen? I’m digging his youtube channel and am strongly considering utilizing the discount code to purchase his course.

This was another great club session! So much information and very inspirational. The resources are great too. It started at 4am my time but definitely worth getting up a bit earlier for :slight_smile: I recommend checking out the video if you missed it
Thanks to Justin and Joe and the JG team :smiley: All the work you guys put in is much appreciated.

Also (just sayin’) Richard’s fingerstyle class and the other clubs look enticing too and would love to join and check them out. It’s only that I have other stuff on at the same time.

1 Like

@Socio Interesting to know your experience with Joe’s beginner fingerstyle course .

When I saw that barre chords were taught at the beginning of the course, I assumed that the rest of the course would go as fast. It felt to me like learning Justin’s grades 1 to 4 in a few videos so I got discouraged.

But then, if you tell me that it gets slower once the actual fingerstyle starts, well that’s good. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Done, thank you! I’ve been looking ahead at Justin’s finger style lessons, and there will be plenty there to challenge me as I continue working through his Beginner lessons.
I have decided against purchasing Joe’s course. I’ll be spreading myself too thin. Time to get back to Justin’s courses, along with my piano practice. Thanks!

1 Like

@math07 are able to print the tabs from the course you bought? I like to practice away from the screen sometimes.