Steve L’s Learning Log

10 Dec. 2022. I set up a generic 4-part practice routine in the practice app, but then I decided to set the Module 16 practice routine as default for now to remind me to try some of the different technical studies for module 16. I am alternating between strumming techniques 1 lessons and blues on alternate days and continuing to learn new songs. I had momentarily considered using some of the blues studies from Grade 4, but saw there was a good blues study two modules ahead. I never recorded the blues lessons from module 13, so that might be a good first step. I have finished playing through the songs in stage 9 Beginner book II. I also did the RUST 16 and 17 strumming lessons from the old DVD.

11 Dec 2022 - I just got my Scarlett 2i2 audio interface so I have some studying and learning to do. Now I can do the Module 14 home recording lesson for real.

14 Dec 2022 - I’ve finished the Strumming Techniques I course - I found that I had already mastered percussive strumming in the regular beginner course and while recording songs, so percussive strumming patterns RUST 19 and 20 were easy. Finishing the strumming techniques 1 course will give me more time to practice my AVOYP songs. I am playing through the Bonus Songs in the Beginner’s Songbooks I and II.

2 Likes

29 Dec 2022 - I finally finished playing through all of the songs in the Beginning Songbook II. So I have now played (but not memorized or performed) all of the songs with song lesson videos in the two beginner songbooks. Now I will go back and complete my list of songs to practice for creating videos of myself playing. Also going forward, new songs will be from the 4 intermediate songbooks - pop, vintage, acoustic and rock which have additional consolidation songs at the beginning of each of the songbooks. I’ll slow down the pace of learning new songs to allow more time to practice older songs for performance and later to allow for more complicated songs.

1 Like

30 Dec 2022 - I want to keep myself honest during the consolidation phase. I don’t want to look back and realized that I had left topics uncompleted in my haste to advance to a higher grade level. I did a thorough review of all the Grade 1 and 2 lessons and identified some lessons that have not been completed:

Beginning Guitar course - uncompleted topics that should be completed during the consolidation period

Grade 1:

Module 5: YOUR OWN SONGBOOK - I haven’t done enough on this, just a couple of songs

Module 7: MEMORIZE EASY SONGS - definately deficit in this area. Only have a couple of songs memorized.

Grade 2

Module 8: MUTING STRINGS DELIBERATELY - review this entire lesson, not good at this technique, mostly I use precise strumming

Module 9: YOUR CHORD BOOK - haven’t done this. Starting to use One Minute changes chord dictionary.

Module 10: Practice 5 common chord progressions: until you have the progressions memorized

Module 11: INTRODUCTION TO DICE SONGWRITING -should actually try to do this exercise

Module 12: CREATE YOUR OWN GUITAR RIFF - try to do this exercise

Module 13: BEGINNER BLUES SOLO - need to download Guitar Pro version of Blues Solo since I purchased but haven’t used.

Module 13: BLUES IMPROV - need to record an improve and annotate in Guitar Pro.

Module 13: 12 BAR SHUFFLE RIFF - play and record on video for critique

Module 14: DEVELOPING REPERTOIRE - need to work on this - don’t have 10 songs and do open mic.

Module 14: HOME RECORDING - finish setting up DAW and make new recording with DAW

While I am working on completing these lessons, I can also work on active listening and transcribing by playing through all of the songs in the Beginner Songbooks 1 and 2 that do not have a song lesson video. I can listen to the original recording and work out the rhythm and any embellishments myself by active listening and transcribing. This should be somewhat easy since I already have the chords (and therefore the key) and performance notes. I just need to listen to the recorded song to create my own lessons.

I am also playing some songs from the Complete Guitar Player Songbook (Omnibus Second Editions with books 1,2 and 3). I had got it a few years back to go with the Complete Guitar Player book by Russ Shipton which I had gone through but skipped over a few more difficult sections. I kept using the songbook since it had some songs which were not in the list of songs on Justin guitar and until recently was my go to book for Bob Dylan songs. It is mostly grade 1 and 2 level songs, so it gives another source for songs such as Morning Has Broken.

4 Likes

2 Jan2023 - when I started trying to play the songs in the 2 beginner songbooks without song lesson videos, I realized that I have not played along to the original recordings for any of the songs I have learned. I have played along with Justin in the song lesson videos and played with the app, but the true test of my ear is playing along with the original recording. My resolution is to make more use of the original recordings and listen and play along beginning with the easier songs and working up beginning some grade 4 songs this year.

1 Like

4 Jan2023 - with all of the review and consolidation and song practice, it is easy to forgot to also focus on Grade 3 practice material. I have decided the best plan at this point, until I have completed the items identified above from grade 2, is to alternate days that I work on grade 2 completion items and Grade 3 practice exercises.

I can see that going forward in this course I will probably have the mindset of using lessons and songs from 3 grades. So for instance, I am reviewing Grade 2, I am actively working on Grade 3 and I will occasionally look ahead and find challenge lessons or songs from Grade 4.

One last thing. My wife and I just adapted a couple of small rescue dogs 3 week ago, so my morning practice schedule had to be adjusted. Due to walking the dogs first thing in the morning, the early morning practice routine suddenly shrunk from 40 minutes to 30 minutes. But it still continues every day. Life intrudes, but you just have to adjust. I am trying to find other time during the day to listen to songs, work on music knowledge activities and listen to lesson videos.

2 Likes

Bravo Steve, good reflection and planning that is sure to set you up for continued progress. I look forward to hearing the further recordings as you consolidate in Gr2.

1 Like

@DavidP Thanks. I am finding as I advance (trying to create a practice plan for the first module in Grade 3) that planning, developing and constantly adjusting a practice schedule to my changing needs is as challenging as learning to play the guitar. Balancing the old and new songs and technical exercises to meet the sometimes conflicting goals of “practice what you don’t know” and “keep it fun” is a constant ongoing learning process.

1 Like

12Jan2023 - I spent the month of December playing old and new songs and did not spend much time on the module 15 exercises. My loose practice schedule resulted in fun but I felt some frustration with the progress in Grade 3, so I spent a week refining my overly complicated 3 day practice schedule proposed on Nov. 20.

I realized several things:

1 - I need to include some time blocking in my routine to keep me on track with technical exercises.

2 - Having the same routine every day is tiresome to me and doesn’t allow for enough flexibility.

3 - When I worked on new songs, that tended to take up all remaining time as songs become more challenging.

So my answer is to split the 1 hour practice schedule into 2 x 30 min. routines with a 10 min. warmup for 2 days. I preceded with 1 day with a 10 min. warmup and 30 minute practice session for learning new songs and/or recording.

Here are the routines that I have worked out for Grade 3 Module 15 and Module 16:

For maximum variety you can do the first 3 days on acoustic and repeat for 3 more days with electric guitar and the 7th day can be whatever you want or just rest your fingers.

If you need to work more on new songs or recordings you can repeat day 1 after day 2 and then day 1 after day 3 and repeat day 3, followed by day 1. Day 3 has most of the exercises specific to the modules and you have exercises every other day:

Day 1-songs, 2-exercises, 3-songs, 4-exercises, 5-songs, 6-exercises and day 7 whatever. I will probably follow this schedule of alternating more flexible days with more structured days until I get caught up with the Grade 2 consolidation items identified earlier and reduce my backlog of songs to record.

As you can see, this organization of the practice routine provides a lot more flexibility and works within a 40 min. practice time constraint. I’ll try this for a few weeks and see if it needs more tweaking.

4 Likes

That looks like a sensible approach, Steve. Hope it works well for you.

1 Like

Hi Steve, looks a good path to try. If it works you can have a more even progress with technique and songs and one progress may foster the other. My approach is somewhat similar, a 40 min. technique practice routine split in the two weekend days, song maintenance at the end of each weekend session, and short weekday sessions to work on newer songs.

1 Like

21Jan2023 - I haven’t used the recently purchased Scarlett 2i2 audio interface because I found it impossible to use on my 13” Apple laptop. My older flatscreen TV was not up to the task resolution-wise. Just got a relatively cheap 43” 4K TV upgrade so I should be able to use with the software. There is a little latency with wireless airplay connection and the onscreen cursor, but that doesn’t affect recording.

The new Module 15 routine is working out well, so I will start transitioning to Module 16 next week.

Steve, I’m curious as to what makes this impossible?

My guess would be that it is conenctivity between the 2i2 and the Apple’s connector, which may not be a standard USB compatible with the 2i2? I(f so I imagine there is some kind of adapter, though that may come at a price.

Good to hear you are making progress through Grade 3.

1 Like

@DavidP
David, The problem was that I had trouble reading the controls and text on the 13 inch screen of my laptop. When you get older, focusing on small print can be a problem. I probably could have resized the resolution on my laptop, but opted for a larger monitor via the new smart TV which I had to replace anyway, since the other television was 15 years old.

29Jan2023 - Starting the Module 16 practice routine this week. I am finally figuring out an approach to learning that I can stick with. I had to continue module 15 practice because I had left out an important step. It is not good enough to watch a lesson video and think that you understand and can repeat what you learned. I seems obvious but I have learned that you must watch some lesson videos with guitar in hand and stop, backup and repeat until you can play on the guitar. Only then can you start practice. You don’t have enough time to learn during the limited practice time. I finished with all the module 15 lesson videos with guitar in hand. Then I was doing the module 15 practice routine every other day and working on the module 16 lesson videos on the off days. I am also watching the module 17 lesson videos ahead of time outside of my practice time. Here is my lesson completion schedule:

JG Grade 3 study notes:

Dates I listened to lesson video with guitar in hand

Module 15
D chord shape explorer - 18:53. 4Jan2023
Finger gym exercise - 15:14 10Jan2023
Linking chords with scales - 11:34. 11Jan2023
A capo for two - 24:55. 12Jan2023

Module 16
Chord shapes up the neck - 35:04. 23Jan2023
Play Greensleeves. - 16:54. 25 and 27Jan2023

One of the things I have learned is to temper my expectation on the time to complete the modules given my more limited practice time. Justin says to spend at least 2 weeks on module 16, which I assume is based on a 6 day/week practice schedule. I am only doing the module 16 practice routine twice per week (half the routine each day) with song practice days. So I would need to spend a minimum of 6 weeks on module 16 to achieve the same level of practice time.

2 Likes

18Feb2023 - I created a practice log table to record the completion of the practice elements for Module 16 with space for 12 days of the 1 hour practice routines. I completed most of the first hour of the routine on Feb. 7 and Feb. 9. I also started a notes page with daily notes to keep track of variations in my practice.

I’ve been practicing the Grade 3 songs “Fields of Gold” (acoustic) and “Fortunate Son” (electric) for eventual recording. On Feb. 11, I started focusing each 30-40 minute practice session to one of those 2 songs, alternating each day. I’ve practice “Fortunate Son” for 5 days and “Fields of Gold” for at least 5 days.

I had wondered which song I would try to record first and today I tried to play “Fortunate Son” at full speed with the recording. I had to reduce the speed to 3/4 speed to keep up so i will try to record “Fields of Gold” this month and hopefully demonstrate a mastery of the F chord and incorporating push rhythms and Am to Asus2 and C to Csus4 embellishments. I will keep working on “Fortunate Son” until I can play the intro at recorded tempo or close to the normal tempo and play the power chords with Justin’s suggested rhythm and left hand lift mute technique with precision.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update, Steve, and keep on keeping on! I look forward to the recordings

1 Like

21 March 2023 - I have finally settled on a Grade 3 practice routine. I started by using the practice app on the website with Module 16, but after a week I decided to go back to “old school” methods - i.e. notebook, paper practice table and practice log. I have noticed several people mentioning having problems adjusting to Grade 3 practices after the more rigid Grade 1 and 2 practice routines, so I thought that I would continue to share the results of my struggles to find what practice routine works for me.

Here is my practice notebook binder and dividers:

Notice the 5 sections: Review, current practice, planning or future and the chord and song book sections.

Here is my practice routine table for Grade 3 Module 16:

Finally I am including my current practice log for module 16:

notice that I have a lot of variation in practices and it is taking me a long time to finish module 16, because I took a couple of weeks to practice before I recorded my last song and because I am using the 3 day practice routine I described above on 12Jan.

3 Likes

Hi Steve, I think that taking longer to complete a module while simultaneously working in other guitar projects is fine, specially if you’re starting with Grade 3. I’m not there yet but I’ve read about how it is more self-directed learning.

1 Like