Steve L’s Learning Log

Hi Steve ,
Happy anniversary

:smiley:

Greetings from Holland :netherlands:

3 Likes

Silvia, thanks for taking the time to look at my learning log and listen to some of my recordings. I have many years of experience playing to support my singing with strumming and open chords, so that is my strength skill-wise, but I had never memorized anything, just played from a lyric/chord sheet. As I said earlier, I did spend a year trying to learn classical guitar back in 1977, when I was single, so I am enjoying the return to a part of my youth. Since I am only practicing classical guitar one week each month, I have no expectations of mastering classical guitar. I am just having fun. The interest in electric guitar started in 1999, when I first heard Stevie Ray Vaughn play Hendrix’s Little Wing. I was completely dumbstruck and mesmerized with shivers down my spine and I immediately went on a quest to find out more, leading to my buying all of SRV music, which led to interest in blues and buying a Fender Strat and practice amp. Thus the G99 in my alias. ( I see that Justin has Little Wing song tutorials in Grade 7). So even though my skill with electric is not too great, it is a big part of my future goals of learning blues guitar.

Of course, Little Wing can stand alone or apart as a great song on any guitar. Look at this YouTube video of Little Wing played on the classical guitar by virtuoso Eric Henderson and even a classical guitarist can appreciate Hendrix:
Jimi Hendrix Little Wing played on Classical guitar - cool

1 Like

Rogier, thanks for the nice picture. It is really appropriate if applied to my long, convoluted and sparse guitar journey over the last almost 50 years.

1 Like

@roger_holland Rogier, your closing message of “greetings from Holland” reminded me of a treasured item from Holland that I have in a glass cabinet at home. When I was in a college or university choir traveling and performing in Europe in 1977, we spent two days in Amsterdam. I purchased a small blue Delft vase as a gift for my mother since I was told that was a well known hand crafted item and she collected antique and fine porcelain. When my mother passed away a few years ago, that was the keepsake that I took back from her house:

It is only 7.5 inches (14 cm) tall, since that was all I could afford at the time, but I will keep it always because of its sentimental value and it also reminds me of that 3 week choral tour of western Europe. That is why I put this picture here. It makes me happy.

In 1977 we were tourists so we rode the canal tour and rented bikes and rode to the Van Gogh Museum. Unfortunately our time was short and we did not see the surrounding area. Your recent pictures of parks and forests are a window into another side of Holland that I missed, by not traveling outside of Amsterdam, so thank you.

1 Like

Hi Steve ,
How wonderful to read and with such memories, such a vase is priceless :smiley: Very occasionally, very very occasionally it is also priceless those old Delft Blue items, but this memories makes it absolutely special and really nice to share :heartpulse:
Thanks
Greetings

1 Like

7Sept2024 - Well, the week of changing guitar strings was followed by a week of taking care of a sick dog with special diet to mix up and guitar practice had to take the back seat. This week when it was time for my week of classical guitar (1 week of classical guitar every 4 weeks), I found that my technique had gotten so rusty that I couldn’t continue. I usually find that I have to take one day to review to get back up to speed after taking a few weeks off from playing the classical guitar, but this was too much time. So I spent an extra day reviewing and went back to the beginning of the Werner Classical Guitar volume 1 method book and played all the exercises from the beginning. Then I practiced the Minuet piece that I recorded last time and continued from there. The method is introducing songs with 2 voices (treble and bass at the same time, like the birthday song in Justin), so it is getting more challenging and I will have to spend more time on this. By the end of the week I was finished with learning all of the first position notes and arrived at the place of learning the Leyenda flamenco style piece. I remembered that this one of the early classical guitar pieces that I leaned back in 1977 when I was single and spending a lot of time learning guitar. I decided to order the updated version of the Solo Guitar Playing book 1 by F.M. Noad (I had used the 2nd edition of 1975 and the new version is 4th edition from 2007) which arrived the next day:

So I finished up the week by practicing that version from the new Noad book. In that book it is just called Spanish Study and is the first song in the book with an online audio clip even though it is at the end of chapter seven and 49 pages into the book. Everything before that you are on your own and have to play by sight reading standard musical notation. Of course you can go to YouTube and find videos of people playing the exercises…

2 Likes

That is challenging Steve, it has been for me! I think it’s a good idea to have the melody line memorised and really solid into your musical imagination. If you can do that and your i/m alternated picking is well automated it’ll be just a matter of practice to add the bass notes.

To me Leyenda and Malaguenas are the two most challenging pieces in the book! But hey! Great fun to learn…the slowier you go the better…:thinking: as usual actually! :blush:

1 Like

Silvia, thanks for taking the time to look at my learning log. I got the Noad book for supplemental practice since it doesn’t have any video lessons. There is an interesting addition to the Leyenda piece. The Noad book has the exact notes and fingering, including the 1 2 LH or fretting fingering between the 4th and 5th strings and p m RH fingering. Then the Noad book adds an additional complexity. The A (string 3, fret 2) is fretted with the ring or second finger and held in place while the entire Leyenda is repeated with each bass note played and followed by the fretted A note and the open E first string note in an arpeggiated (p i a RH fingering) triplet for each bass note. In other words, instead of just alternating between bass notes and open E, there is an arpeggiated triplet from the bass note to the fretted A to the open E. Since you can’t use the second finger, the notes must be fretted with the first and third fingers. So 2 and 3 LH fingering is replaced by 1 and 3 fingering and 2 and 1 fingering is replaced by 1 and 3 also. It definitely increases the difficulty of the piece, but that is the version I will try :grinning: to master.

1 Like

Go for it Steve, no harm in deviate from the outlined path to pick some flowers :joy:
You analysed it, and this is already a great job, you know what you’re doing, maybe you’ll find out some challenge you hadn’t expected and that will be a good opportunity for growth as well.
The Leyenda in the Method book was already so challenging for me, first my thumb technique was not good, then my mind would easily get lost into all those repeated phrases…and above all speed! But we practice we improve and we learn!
Now…time for you to put a lot of work into it :blush::blush::blush: it’ll be challenging but fun :wink:

1 Like

12Sept2024 - I am starting the project of learning how to record the 10 songs for grade 2 consolidation. Since grade 2 introduces home recording and I have purchased a Focusrite Scarlett and R0DE NT1 microphone, I want to record the songs with these and not just on a phone.

I finally made the first audio recording of a song with my DAW setup. I decided to start with the song Killing Me Softly which I have recorded before, so I can focus more on the recording process. I typed out the lyrics and again changed the gender references to make it more relevant to me. Also, for this recording I used finger strumming, because this song just BEGS to be strummed with my fingers. I did 3 takes because I did not get the recording setting right in the first 2 takes. I really don’t have a clue as to the best recording settings, so I have to start somewhere. Here is the recording (2 min. 22 sec.):

Killing Me Softly - first audio recording with DAW and NT1 mic

I haven’t done any singing in the last 2 months and I did a couple of vocal things in the song that made me cringe, but I can clean that up with a little more practice. Overall the vocals sound OK and I am focused more on the guitar playing. I haven’t actually played and sang with the original song yet, so that should help too.

I looked at a YouTube tutorial and learning how to edit the recording to remove the 28 seconds at the beginning of the recording where I was starting the DAW, then starting my phone recording, then setting down and getting started.

Since I have a recording I also tried to experiment with reverb, since I have heard it can enhance the recording. I tried 3 reverb settings in GarageBand and found the results interesting, but I’m not sure if any of these are totally acceptable. They are bright smaller tile room, medium room and large garage reverb:

Killing Me Softly - bright small tile bathroom reverb

Killing Me Softly - medium room reverb

Killing Me Softly - darker large garage reverb

Each reverb effect adds something unique to the sound, but more for the guitar than the vocal. I think it makes the vocal sound a little processed. The tiled room seems a little too bright and the large hall or garage seems to have too much revierb, so by the Goldilocks principle I should probably use the medium reverb. When my wife heard the large garage reverb, she laughed and asked whether there was an option to add crowd noises for the live concert effect.

Also, I have a Shure SM-48 dynamic mic and might try to record with both mics in seperate tracks and then I could get a better sound mix, but I am not sure if it is worth the trouble, Just this is hard enough.

I have the iPhone recording, so when I learn how to combine the video and audio I will post the video. I think I can use iMovie on this Mac laptop.

2 Likes

Hi @SteveL_G99

I’m also starting out in Garageband and found these tutorials on YT. I found them helpful as they take it in steps from plugging in the interface, and the settings in GB through to showing you about recording an actual song. Also introduces amp simulator, the drummer track, and effects. It goes through in a structured format rather than jumping around all over the place, which you may find helpful as I did.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsXJmmXYr9BEWEOE96Hzuzu7sRhiHRHYZ

1 Like

@ziggysden Stuart, thanks, I’ll take a look at these tutorials. I had seen a single video introduction to GarageBand in YT to get started, but this looks to be much more detailed.

1 Like

Steve

Good performance. Your recording sounds fine: I liked the garage reverb the best of your exprimental environments; I liked the first audio recording best of all. You could probably sing this song slightly higher: maybe try a capo on 1st or 2nd Fret.

Look forward to your next production.

Brian

1 Like

Brian, thanks for listening. This is just a test performance. I’ll record again when I learn more about the DAW software. I did raise the capo one fret higher than suggested in the JG beginner 1 book. You can’t tell because I haven’t added the video yet. I should have some more recordings soon.

16Sept2024 - I finished my scheduled Grade 3 practices last week and starting this week I will devote full-time to practicing and recording my 10 song set for Grade 2 consolidation completion. I keep changing some of the 10 songs that I will sing and record, so I need to update my song book. I realize that there is no requirement to sing on the songs, but since I have been a singer all my life, that is just a plus. I am trying to find the best 10 songs that I find are interesting to play and not too hard to sing.

• I need to do a little vocal warm-up and practice each day to get my voice back in shape. I haven’t sung in a choral group since before beginning of COVID.
  • I will also do some 1 minute Perfect Chord Changes for the chords that I will use for the songs. This will give me an opportunity to check on the clarity of my chords.
  • Since I am recording, this gives me a chance to learn more about GarageBand that I am using with the Focusrite Scarlett for the DAW. A word of thanks to @ziggysden for a link to a rather complete structured course online for learning GarageBand.

I will spend a few days each month practicing with the classical guitar, so I won’t regress during this time. I will also schedule a few days for electric guitar practice, since when I finish the 10 song set for grade 2, I want to play and record 5 performance pieces from the RSL Awards Rockschool Grade 1 (grade 2 of the series) electric guitar grade book. After that I may not do much more with Rockschool. I was just using that for some supplemental electric guitar practice since that is my weak area of guitar playing. I mostly played acoustic all my life. ‘When I finish all of this I can start my grade 4 practice. Then in my week of grade 3 consolidation I can start learning grade 3 rook song from the JG Rock song book.

1 Like