Strap lock doesn’t quite fit

I’ve just bought a leather strap for my new PRS parlour guitar. While I was at it I thought I should get some strap locks for it and my other guitars. (I well remember seeing @TheMadman_tobyjenner ’s LP when it took a tumble a year or two ago).
I don’t play standing up so haven’t really thought of it as an issue. I use the straps as a support while playing sitting down.

I bought some Ernie Ball strap blocks in my local shop. They are basically rubber washers that fit over the strap button on top of the strap and hold it in place.
They work perfectly on my SG and my PRS but my D28 acoustic has a different type of endpin button. The washer fits but doesn’t completely bed in around and under the shoulder of the button. Any ideas as to how to improve on it? I could cut some of the washer away I suppose. I don’t want to fit one of those strap locks that involve screwing in a replacement endpin.

1 Like

I bought these ones for my acoustic guitars and they seem to be doing their job well.

If you want to keep the one you have, maybe you could sand the washer down a little where it touches the strap button so that it fits better?

1 Like

Is there actually a gap ie the pin circumference is smaller than others or does the lock not fully sit under the pin shoulder as the gap is not deep enough ? I did experience the latter on the Gretsch pin but kept on rotating it, using my thumb nail to slide the lock under the pin bit by bit. It now sits snuggly. Hope that helps.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Yes. Basically the washer is too thick. I’ve got a spare washer as the D28 only has one strap button. I’ll maybe try and sandpaper it a bit thinner as @Jozsef suggested and see if that works.

The thing I’ll need to be careful of is if the strap and washer put too much outwards pressure on the end pin as it is just a push in tapered fit.

1 Like

Each guitar in my stable has its own strap. Life became easier when I started using straps with the lock built in:

1 Like

These are also quite good if you want a strap with built-in locks. Tons of colors, patterns and materials.

https://www.lockitstraps.com/

2 Likes

Just a thought.
I now remember I hit a similar issue with one of my acoustics. Loosen the strap pin very gently until the lock slips under the shoulder into position. Then retighten. It will compress the lock as you tighten it and be rock solid.
Simples.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Aha. Now that might be a solution!
Assuming the pin can go back in tightly as it’s just a push in tapered fit.

1 Like

@CT @VeloVagabond
Thanks guys. Your suggestions look great but I’m trying to utilise the straps I have.

This is exactly what I did with the same type of strap lock on my acoustic. Just used a scalpel to taper the inner thickness slightly, and it now fits snug and does the job as intended.

1 Like