Strings changing

Hi Community, it’s a while I’m wondering how often is it advisable to change the strings of an acoustic guitar? I’m not having problems with my strings at the moment (guitar has been re-stringed in January), none that my ear would be able to detect at least. So I’m just wondering, as I’ve never done it on an acoustic and I’ll need to watch JG tutorial and understand how to do it. I’m also a bit scared about make trouble :scream::thinking::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hi Silvia - Have a look at this video

1 Like

Silva, as with everything it’s a little daunting the first couple of times you do it but then you’ll see how easy it really is.

It all depends on your strings (coated or non coated) and how often you play. If it was January, I’d say give them a change and they you’ll see the difference between your old and new. That will then give you an understanding of how new strings sound and should help in the future for you knowing when to change them.

1 Like

Here’s the vid I learned from. It’s pretty easy!

1 Like

There’s nothing to be scared of Silvia, changing strings is very easy to do. Watch the videos above, take your time, and you’ll be fine. You can’t really do any damage and about the worst that can happen is a new string breaking while tuning it up, though I’ve personally never had that happen to date. (Have spare strings to hand, just in case!)

Once done you will definitely hear the difference. You might might even be changing strings more often as a result. :wink:

1 Like

I have now these strings on the guitar and it says “with an ultra-thin film coating”. @Socio thank you for the video, I did the test and no black stuff beneath the strings so @jkahn and @SgtColon I think I’ll postpone the make trouble changing :sweat_smile: Thanks for your replies!

1 Like

Thank you for the encouragment :blush:

I think a regular string change is like a regular toothbrush or tyre change in that the effects are more apparent after the change.

2 Likes
2 Likes