Strumming/chord changes

Been playing a month and half for pretext. Probably been asked but just trying to clarify. When using the app, when a chord change happens during the strumming pattern (on the same line), does the strumming pattern start over or is it just continuous throughout regardless of chord changes? I assume its continuous and you just have to learn to keep that strumming pattern consistent regardless of any chord changes? Pic for reference. Thank you. Just want to break my habit of starting the strumming pattern over every time the chord changes on the same line, if that is the case.

you usually keep the pattern and make the chord change in the middle.

This can be a challenge when the strum is happening just before a chord change. You may not have seen the lesson (I don’t remember where it is) but there are cases where letting an open string strum happen can be reasonable to be in time for the chord change. That is not likely here, but be aware of it in case you run into it.

1 Like

Hey James!!!
The example you’ve shown is played as “G” chord for the 1st two beats of the bar & “D” chord for the last 2 beats of the bar.
Depending on the strumming pattern (and your skill level), this can be easy - difficult.
If you play slow at first, it’ll help.
Also listen mindfully to the chord changes in the song without playing but while following along in the app…
Good luck!!!

Tod

1 Like

Hi James @im_thinking1, welcome to the community! We’d love to know what brought you to your guitar journey, and to Justin Guitar. If you have a minute, you can introduce yourself over here.

You’ve got it! Not sure which lesson you’re on, but as you progress, you’ll see this addressed more lessons.

Hope your first six weeks have been fun! I’m guessing your calluses are developing, and fingers are not hurting as badly now. Boy, I remember that feeling like it was yesterday. Hope to see you around the community!

1 Like

Hi James,
I purchased Justins app in Jan when I started to learn on an Acoustic Guitar and had a similar situation to you. As you progress through the Modules Justin does cover it off in more detail as Judi states. I must admit although Justin offers courses for free I am so pleased that I did subscribe to his app because it is so well structured and especially the songs he recommends all build upon the modules that he covers. I have to admit that I had completed up to Module 14 by the end of July, or so I thought :thinking:. I have since revisited the Modules in chronological order again and am now up to Module 5, on a new electric guitar, and boy am I glad I did. :pensive: So, so much missed due to impatience and a desire to learn too quickly. I’m sure you’ll thoroughly enjoy your learning experience but do take your time and never be frightened to ask the more experienced guys out there for help. There are so many people in the community that are willing to help and as newbies we need as much help as we can. Wishing you every success in your endeavours.

1 Like