Strumming feels awkward after changing pick grip

Not sure how to categorized this. When I strum chords I tend to hold the pick between my thumb and the pad of my index finger, and when I pick I usually switch to using the thumb and the side of my index finger which seems to be the most common pick grip. Recently I’ve been trying to change the way I hold the pick when strumming to thumb + side of index as well so I don’t have to alter my pick grip during songs with both strumming and single notes.

Overall I’m happy with how it turned out but up strumming now feels a bit awkward. The way I did up strum before was that I let my index and thumb separate a bit and also relax my first knuckle so the pick had a bit of room to wiggle a little. I also rotate my wrist slightly to help angle the pick up. The new way doesn’t feel as stable when I try to let it flex during an up strum, also it just feels a bit stiffer since the pick is now on the side of index instead of pad which kinda acted like a shock absorber.

I suppose the way I hold my pick now is actually the more common way and I quite like how it feels so I really want to make it work. If anyone also hold their pick like this I would really appreciate some advice on how to make up strum smoother. Thanks!

I feel like my description was terrible so I’ve attached two pictures showing how I hold the pick b4 vs now and how I did up strum before.

1 Like

I’m certainly no expert but all the lessons I’ve seen on pick holding indicate that you’d have been better to alter the other way. Your “strumming” grip is the more correct.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I do feel like strumming the old way is easier for me but when picking single notes I think it feels a bit “floppy” even if I choke up on the pick whereas with the 2nd grip the pick feels more stable without having to hold it tight and it also creates a slight angle. I’m trying to find a way that allows me to do both smoothly… guess I gotta experiment more.

Either grip is fine but I’d have half as much pick stucking our.
I personally don’t use a pick very often but when I do I use more of side of the finger grip. I feel it’s more stable when digging in to the strings

1 Like

That looks like quite a thick pick.

Have you tried thinner picks, which will flex some more?

2 Likes

Update: Thanks for the comments guys. I think my fingers just sort of “figured it out” after playing with the new pick grip for a while :smiley:

1 Like