Strumming Patterns With Ups

Hi Alan, @alan_almeida
That’s completely normal that it happens in the beginning … we’ve all had that (sometimes I still have it after more than 3 years)…keep practicing. :smiley:
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun and perseverance :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

3 Likes

Got it thanks <3

1 Like

I am having a problem where the pick is rotating clockwise in my fingers when I do the up/down strumming. Not a problem with just down strokes.

I have to grip the pick REALLY hard to make it not rotate and that throws off my rhythm.

Any suggestions or explanations as to what’s happening?

1 Like

Craig @moose408
I am afraid it is a very common problem for beginners, I certainly suffered from it and still do to a certain extent. One option is to use picks with texture, Dunlop maxi grips are one type but I think the thinnest is 0.6 not ideal for beginners.
Justin has a lesson later on on pick manipulation, How to Use a Pick When Strumming - My Own Experience! - YouTube in grade 2, which may help but you will find as time goes on you get better control of the pick and can hold it lighter.
Unfortunately it is a like a lot of things with a guitar, you just have to work through it.
Hope this helps.

Michael

1 Like

You could also check this out:

Paradoxically, gripping the pick tightly can make it more likely to spin…I’ve experienced it myself, but I don’t understand why it happens.

1 Like

Hello,

First of all, thank you very much for your help and guidance! It’s been a while since I am practicing strumming. Oftentimes, my pick is rotating in an anti-clockwise direction while practicing up/down strumming patterns. If I try to hold the pick more firmly, it makes my arm feel like a robot and messes up my rhythm.

Any guidance on why this may be happening and how I can fix it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Jay

1 Like

Jay

See the comment on pick manipulation I made earlier which is perhaps ahead of where you are as it is in Grade 2
Michael

1 Like

That can be a part of the problem. Loosen your grip. It may still rotate a little but will be much easier to rotate back again.
Plus, too much grip = hand tension and hand tension = bad sounding music.