Sweaty palms in 80 degs-Holding the Guitar?

heh, 40C (104F) predicted here today. give it 6 more weeks and it should be around 46C (116F). Then the rain starts and humidity will go from 8% to 65% but temperatures only drop a few degrees. This is why I don’t want an acoustic.

I have tried a few things to combat the sticky neck. A silicone towel helped a little, but didn’t last long enough for me to recommend. My best advice is to go with the matte finish on the neck. I have one guitar with that, and it is quite a bit less sticky. I keep my glossy necks very clean on the back, but that is not really enough.

I have toyed with the idea of a thin cotton glove with fingers cut out.

I also agree strongly with Richard’s clean hands, no lotions comment.

2 Likes

On the subject of sticky hands, be careful with bug spray. I’ve read the chemicals in them can damage certain guitar finishes.

and your lungs and your endocrine system and and etc… :roll_eyes:

Greetings… :honeybee:

1 Like

Don’t we Brits do that when going abroad as well though? :smiley:

cant we use baby powder / talc powder ?

I wouldn’t want that getting goopy in my wound strings. I wouldn’t think it would last long enough on my hand either.

I have a set of glove liners (for riding motorcycle in cold weather) that would work pretty well with the fingers mostly removed. Very thin and would not add too much extra size to the neck grip.

Ok , just like the glove i use when i work

I’d want the opposite part of the hand covered. I get sticky between thumb and finger more than anywhere else.
I’d also want far less finger covered. Barre chords would likely suck if part of some strings are covered by a glove.
I was imagining cutting up what I have. I haven’t shopped for a glove designed for playing. I do remember seeing someone who tried one somewhere in the forum though. Just recently mentioned (in the last week I think).

i read that talc and climbing chalk can be used

imho.
Since I don’t play for anyone but me. I can play when and where I want. Whatever temps I want. I got ac and heat depending on which I need.
I do play outside when it’s nice out.
Key word being, ‘nice’.
I’ll play outside up to about 32C-33C. With high humidity and high dew points. Hotter than that, I go inside w/ ac on.
In them hotter temps. I don’t do anything about the sweat that gets on my the neck of my guitar. I may wipe the neck down with a micro fiber cloth a couple times while playing. Wipe my hands on my shorts to dry them off. Then just keep on going. I play both gloss and unfinished necks. I like the unfinished better. But wet is wet is the way I see it.

As for holding the guitar in high temps. I guess I don’t understand that question. For me, I just hold it like usual. I don’t do anything other than slide it back where I want it when it moves from where I wanted it. And it does slide, but I’ve not noted any temp related sliding for me. It slides in hot or cold on me. Cold and dry might even be worse for me since my grip is so dry it’s just hard to grip anything. Like a guitar too.
If I were having a issue. I reckon I’d play with a strap. That, I’d think, would keep it stationary as to where I want it at. After strap adj. for how I’m playing, which is usually sitting.

1 Like