Sweaty palms in 80 degs-Holding the Guitar?

Struggling with temp and holding the guitar, anyone have any suggestions on how to minimise loss of grip in this aweful heat.

R.

turn on air conditioner

1 Like

Maybe wash your hands after they become soggy with sweat from the heat and/or play when it’s not so hot, if it’s possible.

Or get a fan.

Oh, and…

80 degrees… Pffft.

(Unless you mean Celsius, in which case you have bigger problems).

Cheers,

Keith

5 Likes

26C. :laughing:

2 Likes

Which guitar are you playing? If it is a gloss finish thus slippery and sticky with hands when hot, what I have done with my guitars is very lightly sand them to take the shine off down to a matt finish. It does work but you may not wish to do it yours. :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

I was using the Epi ES 339, I could consider doing that, which does have a gloss neck. As you know :slight_smile:

Maybe try spraying your palms with an antiperspirant deodorant?

That’s what our A/C is set to. :joy:

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

I have done just that on my Epi ES 339. :smiley:
It does not take much and use a very fine grit, just enough to take the shine off.

1 Like

It’s 28 C even here in Southern Finland. Could you borrow me your A/C? Two degrees less would be nice :smile:

2 Likes

Winter temps! At least a warm winter’s day.

1 Like

As much as I was chuckling with 26 degrees being considered hot, because it’s almost always hotter than that here, loss of grip is not a bad thing. Perhaps it would simulate a faster neck on the guitar - when I tried some Gibsons I found their necks too grippy/slow.

Wash hands so they’re clean, use a neck wipe (I use fingerease with a microfibre cloth sometimes), and make sure you’re anchoring the guitar with your right arm.

My problem in hot weather is usually holding onto the pick.

I’ve just been in a Jam session in the basement of a building with no A/C. I’m not sure what the temperature in the room was (with a couple of valve amps and a PA running) but the outside temperature:

A few times I felt the pick sliding around and had to stop and dry my hand on my shirt.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Not down here!

Melbourne, practically Antartica! :joy:

I was exaggerating slightly, tomorrow is 24…

1 Like

Clean hands before playing.
Have a microfibre cloth nearby and wipe often.
Do not put products on your hands - the residue will gunk up your strings worse than just sweat alone.

ps
Mrs C and I have just spent a week in the Lake District, Cumbria. A place known for cloud, rain, cold, unpredictable weather year-round. We packed a lot of clothing on the just-in-case principle. It was a dry and roasting hot heatwave with 30C plus all week. Phew. Scorchio.

4 Likes

My ideal place when I retire :slight_smile:

TY. :slight_smile:

Hope you both had a lovely break, it’s really beautiful up that way.

1 Like

Really. ! All these replies over sweaty hand , WOW, I like being popular lol. :roll_eyes:

R.

1 Like

FYI, apparently the temperature Averaged over the year in the UK, is just 8 to 9.5c - ish

R.

:sweat: