Sweet Virginia - The Rolling Stones

Another well played example of a not-so-easy tune! You do make it look effortless.

A bit of a side note: I am hosting an annual reunion of a group of high school chums in October. One of the members has a guitar history very similar to mine. We were part of the band that couldn’t play in high school :laughing:
Anyway, I have shared my experiences learning guitar with Justin and this wonderful community. He has been taking lessons for a few years also. By way of a challenge, he sent me two songs to learn by the reunion October 19. The songs are ‘Key to the Highway’ and yes, ‘Sweet Virginia’. He knows I will be away for a couple of weeks at the end of August. No pressure :rofl:

You continue to inspire me and it comes at a fortuitous time

1 Like

Gordon, that was fantastic! You inspired me!

I read Keith’s book when it first came out. It was a good read. I wonder if Mick liked it?:smile:

Another fun one that I am working on is Dead Flowers. I believe it was written about the same time. That song really showed me what an impact strumming has on a song. It’s simple, just a few chords but the strumming patterns vary and completely changes the verses.

Unfortunately the internet police forced Justin to take Dead Flowers off the site. What a shame, the backing track really helped me get into the groove of the song.

1 Like

Well thank you so much JK. I appreciate your kind comments. I’ll send you my bank details in lieu of my hat. I am an impoverished pensioner after all. :smiley:

@Malz Thanks Mal. I mentioned the ‘Keef’ autobiography. The other reason I fancied doing SV was after hearing your open mic version with Lara. It was terrific and I know you’ll know how tricky the song is. Thanks for the support.

2 Likes

@Socio Hi James. Yes my son grudgingly thinks I’m doing ok. :grinning: He’s so much better at guitar although he too only plays for fun. Thanks as ever for your support.

@Jeff

You are so right. And that is why these guys are so great. We would all like to think we could do it but they are the ones that can! I’m a mile away from the original but thanks for the positive vibe, the listen and support.

1 Like

@NicoleKKB
Thank you so much for the listen and supportive comments.

The trick to the one takes (in my opinion :woozy_face:) is to practise, practise, practise. Then when you can play the song three times in a row without too many noticeable mistakes, press the red button and go for it. If I was to record and record waiting for the ‘perfect’ one at ‘take 23’ I’d never post anything.

@pkboo3
Thanks Pam, I’m glad you enjoyed the song and can see and hear some improvement over the last few years. Improvement is all any of us really wants. :smiley: To be honest I wasn’t that familiar with the song until fairly recently. The Stones have a huge album catalogue of songs that aren’t all that well known. Here’s a great live version of the original. You’ll not think mine is so good after to this.

1 Like

@MadModMcd
Thanks Ian, glad you enjoyed my version of the song. I was interested in your post in the guitar humidity post. I didn’t think we had to worry too much up here. :smile:

@ChasetheDream
Well if I can inspire anyone Robert that’s great. Others have inspired me on this forum. Thanks for the listen, support and kind comments.
You’ve got a month or two before your reunion so plenty of time to get SV down. Justin has a great lesson here.

I don’t know what you want to do but you could simplify it if you missed out the fills and just played the chords. Good luck and let us know how the reunion goes.

I’m not sure how the humour works across different continents but have a a look at this.

That was most enjoyable Gordon, you did an amazing job at nailing all those dynamics!

Then you listen to the original and just can’t help try all the cool stuff…:joy: …you did it brilliantly! :blush:

1 Like

I felt the sound was a bit different the beginning of December and took it back to GuitarGuitar for their opinion? They adjusted the truss rod slightly and recommended the humidity pack and keeping it in the case when not in use over the winter. I wasn’t taking any chances. ~It’s out and has pride of place just now though! :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for the applause Rick! :smiley:

Thanks Roch, I appreciate the listen and support. I’m pleased I’ve inspired you. So many others in the Community have inspired me too.

As for Mick liking Keef’s book. One of the interesting things i learned in the book was how little time they spent together when not writing and recording. I’m sure neither of them are bothered about what the other says.

Yes Dead Flowers would be another good acoustic Stones song to learn. I look forward to hearing your version when you’re ready to post it.

That was the dog’s danglers, Gordon (am I allowed to say that? Maybe a Mod will edit that out). Absolutely fabulous … to look so relaxed, sound so fluent, while playing and singing that is quite something. I loved the timbre of your voice, just enough drawl without it sounding silly. Nifty job on the video as well.

Tipping my hat!

And thanks for the link to that live rendition.

As one of the rabid Stone fans here … Exile is a fantastic album. Probably safe to say in their best three with Sticky Fingers and Let It Bleed (we can debate the final order). @pkboo3 Pamela, if you want to dig a little deeper, listening to those three albums will make clear what the fuss is about :grin: Of course, it’s not everybody’s cuppa tea, but great music of that sort of thing.

Life is a great read and for non-readers or if you also like the movie version, the documentary Under The Influence is just as good.

@sticktothemuse You are right, Roch, Dead Flowers is off Sticky Fingers, which preceded Exile. Another of their country infused classics.

2 Likes

I listened to the live version, and I think yours is beyond good! Excellent in my book! Great playing and singing, and I like how you did the video with the closeup and then pulling back from it. Very enjoyable all 'round.

1 Like

Hi Gordon,

That autobiography is a great read.

Brilliant job on the song.
The playing is exemplary.
Vocal has a lovely raw edge to it.
Together they are great.

Digger

1 Like

Hi,
Nice play and vox… Seems your video work is gaining steam and is more interesting too.

Keep up the good vibe!
LB

1 Like

Hi Gordon, great to see you back posting a new video.
This was beautifully played and you make all those little licks and embellishments look easy, (which I’m sure they are not). Superb performance, keep them coming :clap:

1 Like

Thanks so much for the listen and supportive comments David. I was hoping you’d appreciate the song you being the Stones expert in the Community.

As for the video, I started off just cutting out the switching the phone cam on/off bits. Then I realised I could add titles. Then transitions. Then I discovered I could zoom in and out sections of the video. The program is DaVinci Resolve and works on my iPad. Quite addictive but time consuming. :smiley:

1 Like

Guys, Thank you so much for taking time to listen and comment. Your support means a lot and makes the time spent on the song worthwhile.

The video editing is a first for me Dave. The last time I tried it I trimmed the beginning and end and then those bits were all I ended up with. :woozy_face:

It’s a fascinating book Stephen but when you read about the chaotic (drug fuelled) lifestyles of the band, you wonder how they were able to record anything.

Now that I’ve set this video benchmark there will be no going back LB. :joy:

1 Like

@SILVIA @Dro_1
Thank you for listening and commenting. It’s always great to get comments and support from others in the Community. It’s much appreciated. You both mentioned the fills and embellishments in the song. Its those bits that make the song interesting to learn but also make it a lot more difficult learn. :smiley:

1 Like

Gordon, you don’t put out much but what you do is absolute quality. That was outstanding and I loved it. I like how you made it sound easy with just the four chords, two versus and the chorus repeated 3 times but man your individual string picking was top notch.

Bravo! :clap:

1 Like

@SgtColon
Thanks Stefan, I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment. Glad you enjoyed the song.
No, I suppose compared to some others, I don’t post a lot of AVoYPs. At the moment I like to wait until I’ve learned a song that uses a different style rather than the “here’s one I learned yesterday I know it could be better “ approach. :smiley:

2 Likes