TAB for Song Learning

What is the feeling amongst the group about learning TAB for songs?
I still consider myself a beginner even tho I’ve been messing about with the guitar for a few years now, but I’ve never focused or dedicated myself to really learning TAB. A worthwhile endeavor?

2 Likes

Personally, I find it an invaluable resource.

There’s loads of books out there with guitar arrangements, and most of it uses tab.

There’s also loads online too, although the quality can be variable.

Tab is mostly logical and is a lot easier to learn than classical notation, and is sometimes better than notation for certain things ( like legato phrasing).

It also is useful as a transcription tool.

So I say, go ahead and learn it.

Cheers,

Keith

3 Likes

I agree with @Majik. It’s a worthwhile thing to learn.

1 Like

Most definitely worth learning. I use it all the time. As Keith says though, online can be a bit dodgy. Once you understand it there are videos on YouTube where they play the song and show the tab at the same time. Very useful

1 Like

Absolutely. Especially if you consider that you can literally learn how to read TAB in 4 minutes and 56 seconds.

1 Like

I will add, if you get a tab editor program like Tuxguitar or Guitar Pro, you can make your own tabs and save them. This is great for transcribing.

Also, there’s lots of tabs you can download from the Internet, including a handful of songs from Justin, and load into these apps. They will then play the.music and you can play along.

There’s lots of useful features in these apps, like being able to slow down the song, loop a section, transpose, etc.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like