Tab sites like Songsterr or Ultimate Guitar

You either buy Guitar Pro and use it to open the file or use an open source equivalent of Guitar Pro such as the TuxGuitar

1 Like

If you have a free account on Songsterr you can download the tabs in a pro tab program. TuxGuitar is free too.

Yes but they are hard for me to find.I like it here so I’m doing without until I get comfortable. I don’t mind paying for them.Hard copies would be easier to navigate.

I am using justin tabs and ultimate guitar. I am looking for an alternative for ultimate guitar. It shold have chords and lyrics. An app would be nice as well. What do you think about https://www.guitarinstructor.com

This has been a super interesting thread. I’ve had a lifetime licence with UG for over a decade it’s been great. Love how it has such a massive catalogue of tabs and how you can fully customise the playback speed, the pitch (great when something is in D standard but I’m using an evertune bridge with my guitar tuned to E) and which instruments play and/or tweak their levels individually. Never had a problem with them although I guess I don’t have to pay an ongoing sub.
I also use YouTube heaps, the speed customisation and looping of specific sections is super useful. However I haven’t explored the other options mentioned here so may need to do some more digging! :wink::sweat_smile:

I find the free version of Songsterr adequate for my needs but always check it to the actual track as quite often they can be not quite right.
I also use Tuxguitar to import and modify tab and use the playback and compose functions to do my own thing.
I also use Moises, this is great to separate tracks on a recording so that it’s easier to work with if you want to transpose it yourself, I’ve used it recently to try to work out Pieces by Jinjer, it’s going OK so far, plus I can use the drum track as a timing reference. Also I have Tatiana’s permission to use the vocals; I subscribe to her social media!

1 Like

How do you loop a section of a youtube video?

There’s some extensions for Chrome and other browsers that are available.

For instance: Looper for YouTube - Chrome Web Store

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

Nice, thanks a lot!

Yes, that’s exactly what I use, super handy :slight_smile:

Songsterr has no lyrics. So there is no alternative to ultimate guitar. I am a pro member until saturday necause it go too expensive.

The Sonsgterr tab for Stairway to Heavan has lyrics.

Do all songs have lyrics?

I’ve not been on the forum in a while and I saw this topic had a few more responses so thought I’d update in case it helps anyone - ironically pretty much a year after opening the thread

I went with adi_mrok’s advice (thanks again mate!) and bought Guitar Pro; it is exactly what I was after in my initial query. I can honestly say that other than Justin’s lessons, it’s probably brought me on as a player more than anything else. As adi says, you can use UG to download tabs without a subscription - user created tabs are free and you can always find one that’s good quality, even to some less mainstream stuff (I’m playing a lot of metal). Then it’s just a case of importing into GP, and you can build up a library of tabs.

In GP the functionality to loop sections, combined with the ability to slow it down means I can isolate passages and work on them. I’ve just now spent literally an hour non stop on a Darkest Hour riff - with it on loop and building it up from 40%, and by the end I was at 90%. Point is though, being able to vary the speed and target sections of music has hugely improved my playing. In the past, I found that there wasn’t really a link between my practice and playing songs. GP has allowed me to put into practice the things I’m working on, like riffs and lead lines rather than chords and strumming, and in the songs I like. This in turn as made me faster, more accurate with better strength.

GP is really reasonable, about 60 quid and you’ve bought it rather than a subscription, I’d wholeheartedly recommend

5 Likes

another alternative to guitar pro is goplayalong, it’s a bit cheaper but it does not have the tab edit functionality, which depending on what you plan to do may actually be a boon.
latest version is a bi buggy but hopefully it will be fixed soon