Tab song sheets, what do brackets mean?

Hi all, Im currently working on a song and have printed off the lyrics and chords sheet thing.
I am unsure of what a chord in brackets means. As you can see in this photo below the F chord is in brackets. Can anybody explain why ? (other than its a F to play lol )

Ghost note.

1 Like

I know that this is from The Black Crowes Good Friday, I think the F (if it’s played) is an inversion at the 5th fret (basically a C shape), I’m not sure that it’s played every time. On the one version of the song it’s got a slide guitar as part of the accompaniment, this is probably tuned in open D which would fit in with my thoughts!

A quick google suggests that it’s an optional chord. So you could just play the G all the way through to the C, or you could change to an F in between to make it sound more interesting.

So for a chorus like this, some times through adding the change to F and some times not might add a little interest to the harmony.

1 Like

Ghost notes use of brackets is not the same as used for chords; brackets on chords usually means optional.

Good point Darrell, I’d not heard of that, but it makes sense.

1 Like

Thank you all for your help

1 Like