Takamine Factory Tour

After posting the 2nd episode of the Gibson acoustic building process, at their factory in Bozman, I thought I’d share the end to end process undertaken by Takamine at their Nakatsugawa workshop in Japan. Like many I assumed that the brand name was likely to be that of the original designer/builder but they are named after the mountain range that sits behind the plant. Its just a shame my GD30CE was massed produced in China but still good to see how the original factory handcrafts these stunning guitars.

7 Likes

Very cool!!!

This is cool. I adore my my P3NC.

Thanks for sharing Toby. I own GN30CE, it served me well for over a year but then it started to fail (lose electronics, wires falling out of the sockets, wires buzz). As you said, certain models are mass produced and sooner or later shortcomings will start showing up. Nothing that cannot be fixed though, as long as you lie the tone all is fine.

I am lucky enough to own a Takamine EF508KC that I believe was built in the Nakatsugawa factory… this video was part of the decision to buy it in the first place - online - that has become my favorite to play. She’s a beauty with (to me at least) wonderful tone & playability.

I was lucky (sort of), Sweetwater sent me the wrong guitar… when they asked what they could do to make it right for me, I asked them to Plek the correct one for free & they did + sent a half a dozen sets of Elixir strings! Not trying to plug for Sweetwater but their customer service was great!

Tod

P.S. Her name is Taka & she’s mine!!! I know, I know, it’s pretty corny … :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

And I call my Tak a Taka “mine” while the Japanese pronunciation is Take Me Nay as expressed in the video. Sorry but I’ll keep saying mine, just like Gollum. Its Mine all mine ! :crazy_face:

1 Like

HaHaHa!!!
Me too Toby!!! Your post makes me think I may add another Taka to her name… she’ll be TakaTaka & when I’m playing her, she’ll be doing all the TALKA!!! (If I start singing, people leave rather quickly)!

Tod

1 Like

Thanks Toby. I love Taks

1 Like