Take me Home, Country Roads - new guitar

Hi everyone. As discussed in my new guitar post thread here is my first cover on the new Martin D – 15 M. This guitar is so fun to play. Even though it is a dreadnought, it’s extremely comfortable. I like that it’s very light and has this warm, woody, kind of earthy sound to it.

You will probably notice I added a little trickery to the choruses by overdubbing a second vocal for a bit of a chorus effect. A YouTube friend of mine does that so I thought I’d give it a shot.

Fun with reaper!

I hope you like the new cover!

19 Likes

Nice job, Tosh. Really steady strumming all the way through.
I am working on this song trying to get the alternate bass line pick and am having a time trying to keep it consistent.
I trust you escaped the destruction of yesterday’s storms.

1 Like

That’s a really nice cover, Tosh. By the way you play and sing it, you definitely made it your own :+1:.
Interesting effect with the second voice for the chorus. Sounds good.
This song has been on ‘my list’ for so long. Maybe, I should give it a try :thinking:.
Thanks a lot for sharing :hugs:.

1 Like

Well played Tosh; the arrangement and production using your DAW makes it your own cover. … :clap:

Thanks for the kind words, Robert. This was a fun one to do and I learned a bit more about the DAW!

Regarding the storms: we have been without power since last night and they are estimating repairs by midnight tomorrow night. So we’re trying to figure out what to do. We may actually rent a house or do a hotel in Indy or Lafayette for the next couple days so my wife and I can work on Wi-Fi and we could at least have air conditioning. The good news is our house was not badly hit, other than some branches coming down, etc. I know you are nearby too. Are you OK?

1 Like

The storms went south of us, so we missed the worst of it. Just some wind and rain but no damage or loss of power.
Sending you a PM

Tosh

Great song to christen the new guitar. You really settled in to a nice steady strum. Well played.

Brian

Hey Tosh,
Nice rendition of a great song!

Keep up the good vibe!
LB

Sounds great Tosh! :grinning: :clap:
Great job and love the chorus vocal effect
A really nice song to christen the new guitar with. It does have a lovely earthy tone to it :sunflower:

Thanks for sharing Tosh.
I love your new guitar and ya picked a great song to share with us for it’s debut.

I like the way ya added in the extra vocals for the chorus too. Very Cool!
Your new guitar sounds great. You made a great choice with that one. And it looks stellar too! :slight_smile:
I love that all mahogany look (let alone the tones of all mahogany which I really dig). It really is a stunning looking guitar.
Rock on man!

Hi Tosh. Well done, the playing and singing both sounds good.

You didn’t explicitly ask for feedback - I hope you don’t mind me giving some anyway. Otherwise, just disregard. :slight_smile:

To me, the tempo of the strumming sounds a little bit “bumpy”. What I mean by this, is that even though the overall tempo of the song feels quite consistent, it sounds to me like you some times speed up the strumming very briefly and then come back down to the tempo.
I struggle with this myself, so I notice it. For me, it’s the fast up-down-up-down strums at the end of a bar that causes my tempo to “bump”. More metronome practice usually helps me.

Playing around in the DAW is a lot of fun, and I like that you experimented with some dubbed/backing vocals.
In this case the backing vocals are too loud in the mix, I think - when they come in, they stand out more than the main vocal. Maybe you were also singing closer to the mic when dubbing, making them sound even more present.

Love the new guitar!

Sounds great :exclamation: Love it :exclamation:The new Martin sounds very nice. Enjoyed a lot. Keep on Tosh.

appreciate the feedback. Always desired :slight_smile:

Well done on this one, Tosh! :smiley:

You made your own version of this all time classic and it suits you well. Love the sound of your new guitar, it is so warm.

Already looking forward to some more covers of the two of you. :slight_smile:

Nice one Tosh - very enjoyable listen! Adding a second vocal for the chorus is a great idea. Reaper might have some plugin that does it for you automatically - not sure I’ve never looked, since if I attempted a vocal, it would be the end of music as we know it.

Congratulations on the new guitar!

1 Like

Love that song, Tosh, and you’ve done a nice cover of it. It’s a great campfire song, good one to get people singing along. I wondered if you were going to stick to the original key, I actually expected you would drop it a tone or two. You might find the higher notes more comfortable for your voice if you transposed the song to C or D and then played with the capo on ~ 3. Transposing is a good exercise itself anyway!

Lovely sound on your new guitar, too.

Good strumming.
Relax and just let the singing happen , even in an empty room I’m still self conscious

Superb job Tosh and love the sound and look of the new guitar!

Hi Mari: good to see you on here and thanks for chiming in! Yeah, John Denver is definitely not in my key. :blush: I think a lot of people play this with the Cape on two so I figured I’d just take the cable out and play out of the key of G. That whole “I belong“ part is really the toughest stretch for me, but it was fun to try. Thanks for the suggestion and transposing that may be an idea for me next time around.

1 Like

Another good one from you, Tosh. I too liked that you added some harmonies through your DAW. Always nice to hear the little extras people add into their music. Really pretty guitar and sounded great.