Take on me (The Last of Us version) - Guitar Cover (53 days guitar progress)

It’s a bad habit as it restricts your hand, arm and wrist movement. It also leads to poor posture which will in turn lead to back pain. Later when you come to learn barre chords you’ll find that with your arm resting on your leg your wrist won’t have enough flexibility and you’ll strain your wrist. Also when you come to playing chords or scales further up the neck you need freedom of arm movement. You can’t get that with your arm resting on your leg.
You should aim to hold the guitar neck above the horizontal.

2 Likes

Do you happend to know which specific video it is where he talks about the picking hand? :smile:

This is beautiful ! Love it !

@brianlarsen & @sairfingers I’ll put my hand up as being at fault here, not @oliverl. Being the first to comment on it and making an incorrect assumption :crazy_face: (and you know what they say about assumptions! :grimacing: :rofl:). So very sorry everyone for my mistake and especially @oliverl, didn’t mean to make it seem like you were being deceitful, I accept full responsibility! :pensive: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :slightly_smiling_face:
So to amend my original comment… fabulous playing! Keep it up!! :sunglasses: :+1:

2 Likes

Too much talk about days (for my way of thinking). You’ve got some talent, my friend. I have my eye on you – I thought I heard some angelic musical tones in there. I heard some things that can’t be taught --in no matter how many days.

You are in good company, I’ve said this sort of thing before to @adi_mrok and others. Stay the course!

1 Like

Thank you, means a lot to me :slightly_smiling_face:

Be kind Gordon! You’re making it sound as if you think the lad’s deliberately tried to put one over on us! More Sairheid than Sairfingers :rofl:

2 Likes

Hey Oliver maybe check out the introduction to fingerstyle lesson in the Grade 2. I’m not sure if he talks much about having the thumb in front of the fingers in the lesson but you get a good close up of his picking hand technique.

1 Like

@oliverl that’s a lovely piece, well played by you, and beautifully sung by Julz. I haven’t seen The Last of Us, but the arrangement reminds me of my favourite version of the song, which is from the TV series The Magicians (if you haven’t seen it, it’s on youtube). You should be proud to be playing at such a high standard after only 53 days :+1:

1 Like

That was very beautifully done. Thank you!