Targeted reply problem

Looks like the problem is mainly with the OP, strange!
But I don’t get a reply to Gordon unless I quote, so Mod status seems to have some bearing on it.
Could be a problem with permissions.

Looks like the targetted reply didn’t work when replying to the first post. Otherwise no issues on my Android phone.

But doesn’t explain the inconsistency Gordon experienced in this sequence of tests. I’m baffled.

I think we need to get more help on this from either @LievenDV or Ben.

I realise that when replying to the OP it won’t show as a targeted reply, as your reply is effectively targeted.
My issue is when replying to others within the topic. The inconsistency would seem to rule out a permissions issue.

1 Like

Have you tried a reply without quoting to one of Gordon’s replies?

It worked for me. If not for you then need to see if there is something in the Mod permissions. Though could also be iPhone specific.

I’ve seen the same issue many times on my pc using Chrome. Intermittent as I also reported on Gordon’s original post on this matter. I did a targeted reply to Gordon’s comment on my LL. Will I was typing his avatar was showing indicating a targeted reply when I hit reply it general thread post. Sorry not just the op

Difficult to solve if intermittent. And seems to be so given Gordon’s results in the various tests he’s tried here.

Just trying something

Reply to Gordon. Have you broke the new forum already?

Edit: didn’t work

This is interesting …

I replied to Toby’s post and I see that there is no indication of that in my first reply.

Then I replied to Toby’s post a second time. And on my second reply there is a link to Toby’s post.

On Toby’s post the 2 Replies drop down shows that I made to targeted replies.

Based on those tests, seems like if you post a targeted reply to the last post in the thread, then link to the post is not shown in your reply.

Just scrolled back to look at one of Gordon’s targeted replies to Darrell that he said didn’t work, but looking at Darrell’s post it does show a targeted reply was made.

So it appears that it may just be the display of the link to the post you are replying to that behaves in unexpected ways?

Hope all that makes sense.

Reply to Socio. It wisnae me. A big boy did it and ran away!
Edit : this time it worked.

1 Like

Reply to Sairfingers: Is that you trying to pin the blame on @brianlarsen?

Edit: Still didn’t work for me

Targeted reply to last post in thread.

Went in as a normal post

Oi!
Wot’s going on here?
I’m being a good boy, minding my own business :roll_eyes:

1 Like

So did but I am talking to myself again. Will reply to Mr L once he psted

Bummer to late !

Seems to me that the most reliable way to let someone know you’ve replied to them is to either “quote” them or use the @name thing.

1 Like

@sairfingers The Discourse World moves in mysterious ways. I have used both option, which will works ? Who knows. :confounded:

Gordon, I’m not 100% sure, but I think the only way that is certain to provide a user with a notification is the @mention.

Quoting creates a targeted reply but not sure if that would always generate a notification. It may depend on how the user has configured their ‘Watching’ and ‘Tracking’ settings.

But as I say, not 100% sure on that.

Continuing to notice things as this continues. My reply to Gordon, just made, has the quote with an up arrow to jump to the post from which the quote was made, but not the other link to the user name.

On the quoted post it’s replies dropdown shows the reply.

James, which of Gordon’s posts did you try to make the targeted reply? That seems to make a difference.