Teenage kicks by The Undertones

Just me reliving my youth by playing Teenage Kicks by The Undertones.
Justin teaches this song using power chords, but here I am using barre chords.
Got to learn the solo next.

8 Likes

Off to a great start Malcolm, sounded good to me. But I would add for a song like this a backing track would make a lot of difference. All in all though a good platform to build on for the whole song.
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Sounding good, Malcolm ā€¦ solid punk-rocking sound and vibe.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a raunchy tone there Malcolm, nice sounding chords especially considering youā€™re barreing them. I agree that a backing track would add something extra but that does nothing to take away from your playing :+1:

1 Like

Hi Malcolm,
Nice tone :sunglasses:,ā€¦and you still feel a lot younger than you really are,ā€¦probably it will only work for a short time, :smile: so quickly start playing more :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Good solid groove. Nice job. Hard to beat a little punk rock through an amp!

1 Like

Sounded great. Tight timing and clean playing.

1 Like

Really nice Malcolm, sound and play was bang on. As Toby said just BT would be nice on top :wink: thanks for the share

1 Like

I agree with what was said, tone is great, and itā€™s a sound that would be even bigger with some backing drums.
Keep at it!

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your positive feedback on my playing. I have found a backing track and will try playing to thatā€¦ then itā€™s time to get to grips with that solo!!!

2 Likes

Cool Malcolm, look forward to round two, :sunglasses:

Did the earth just move?
Or was that John Peel turning in his grave? :rofl:
Gotta love the lads from ā€˜Norn Ironā€™
Sure, backing track & vocals would be nice, but man, that riff stands up by itself and you dialed in a fat tone for the occasion :sunglasses:
Try to focus on keeping your strumming hand moving consistently up and down with the beat. Itā€™ll make life a lot easier in the long run.
Cool.

1 Like

Wow that was a punkinā€™ good barre chord workout.
Well played Malcolm. I look forward to hearing your next one.

Hi Malcolm,

Nice tone from a song that has such a great sound.
Will you be giving it some Feargal as well as the lead guitar? :0

Digger

Great song. Really like the sound here. A backing track or some Feargal-ish vocals would be brilliant!

Once again, thanks everyone for your feedback.
I have taken the advice of some of you and had another go at playing this song to a backing track, all of the way through, minus the solo which I still have to learn.

After a few attempts I managed it without messing up, although I did mess up the ending here, I just couldnā€™t change chords quickly enough.

In answer to another comment that a few of you have made, sorry, but you wonā€™t be getting any Feargal style vocals from me. If I tried to sing John Peel really would be turning in his grave!!!

1 Like

Hi @laser_171825

Good vibes and kudos for posting yourself punk-rocking out.

You have had very encouraging comment and support and rightly so.

Someone must do it and so I guess it falls to me to be the bad cop.

Look at your strumming hand. What is it doing? Or, should I ask, what is it not doing?

Down, Up, Down, Up, Down, Up, Down, Up etc. etc. etc.

And the movement needs to be fastā€¦ You need to aim to be playing this with a fast movement of your hand so you can strum the 8ths in the correct direction, with small wrist arcs, not big swinging motions of your forearm.
Justin teaches a Down / Up then an all Down option in the song video lessons. You choose. This is the basic strum pattern / count you want to aim for if going with the Down / Up approachā€¦

Hope that helps.
Cheers
Richard

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, and drawing my attention to how I can improve my strumming on this. I have probably neglected my strumming technique of late in my practice routine, so I appreciate your nudge to take a look at improving this area of my playing.

1 Like

:joy:
You are the real teacherā€¦this was just ā€œourā€ test to see how well you pay attention :roll_eyes: :innocent:ā€¦
Strange really, because a bad strumming hand is usually mentioned ā€¦

Malcome,nice to hear with the backing trackā€¦
Greetings,ā€¦

2 Likes

You big tease! :rofl:

1 Like