Telecaster kit build resumed from Old community

I stalled on the build of my Harley Benton Telecater kit over a year ago due to a combination of not being sure what I really wanted to do with it and health issues, so since buying my Bass (which I traded in my Thinline Telecaster copy for) I decided that it would be a good idea to get it put together.
I’ve decided to give it ‘comfort curves’ and put a bit of a scoop in the neck cutout to give better access to the higher frets.
Today I’ve finished the basic shaping and rough sanded it; this is what it looks like now!

It fits my current body shape quite nicely and feels very comfortable, loads of sanding to do and still the decisions on whether to use the included hardware or upgrade.
I’ve already replaced the tuners and nut but not the electrics - I was thinking on the lines of Irongear pickups (Hot ones) and SwitchCraft bits, but will probably try it as is for now. It’s going to take me a while due to other commitments but it’s definitely on the move!

11 Likes

Looking good Darrell. Will follow with interest, as I always wondered what happen to the project. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I might give it an extra ‘scoop’ for a bigger belly, but looking good, my man :sunglasses: :rofl:

1 Like

You’ve not seen my belly now, I put a shedload of weight on - it’s common with the meds I’m now on :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yikes! Didn’t mean to tread on toes! :flushed:
(I don’t see mine as often as I used to :rofl:)

1 Like

I now have an issue seeing my feet :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Glad to see you’re onto this project again Darrell, I’ll be watching for sure! So far it looks like a nice job adding those extra curves.

1 Like

This is looking good. For my 2 cents, any T style guitar is better with contours, easier to play and more comfortable on the ribs. :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

Fine work shaping, Darrell. I will be following with interest.

1 Like

WOW :exclamation:Will follow with interest. Bravo :exclamation:

1 Like

looks so good, and the effort is what counts.
This would be a great build!!!

1 Like

I hope you’re now sorted with your health issues Darrell.

Have you decided on a colour/colours for it?

1 Like

Nope :joy: originally it was going to be a replica of Jimmy Pages Dragon :dragon: but the graphics would have been too much of a challenge. Now I think it’s either going to be natural (maybe dyed) or a rattle can job with the option of a dip job on top. Not in any rush with the finish, I want to get the hardware sorted out to my satisfaction first.
The health issues, well Fibromyalgia doesn’t go away, you just learn to live with it better.

Sorry to hear about that on the health issue side of things.

So will you do the colouring yourself and where did you find out where to take it if you do do a dip job?

1 Like

Darrell Braun Guitar has a video where he dyed a guitar body, you might find interesting and helpful.

1 Like

I wouldn’t take it anywhere, it’s not difficult! There are a few videos on YouTube that show how it’s done, basically you get a container of water big enough to dip your guitar body (or anything else) into and spray from rattle cans the colours you want then swirl it around and dip, take it out and then hang to dry, when dry and you’re happy what it looks like coat it with several coats of clear lacquer. It comes out like this:

1 Like

Ahhh right. Yes I’ve seen a video of that. It is pretty funky and does ensure you really do get a one of a kind.

1 Like