Test-driving my new LP with Still Got The Blues (video)

Kasper, that was absolutely terrific :hushed::star_struck::clap:.
The tone of your LP is so clear and sweet, and youā€™re playing extraordinary good - there are really no vocals needed, if there is such a fantastic instrument-guitarist-combination.
I simply love it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:.

1 Like

Hi Richard, yeah those are standard on this particular model. I guess itā€™s Gibsonā€™s own take on the Seymour Duncan APH-2S pickups. They sound great!

1 Like

Sounding and looking stunning Kasper, youā€™ve got it dialled and wow, that first note!!

1 Like

Kasper,
You did not miss the NGD. I keep a low profile due to thieves connecting the internet dots to my place.

Hum, Had I known you were looking for LP, I could have offered you my lightly use LP Heavy. It is not a Slash with Zebra pups and getting it there would have cost a bundle. But on the wall it mostly hangs.

I think the 50ā€™s neck profile is the fat C I speak of?

I looked at the Reflex and sure enough the pots are nothing like on the LP. But I wonder if one could do what you sought vai a pedal. Say you had the Pearly Gate BG pups and then something like the ā€œLa Grangeā€ pedal to kick in when you want a tone change? You would know better how to achieve that than I and just a thought.

By the way, if anyone is looking for a close to mint LP heavy, PM meā€¦ LOL
The wall might miss it, but I wonā€™tā€¦
LB

Absolutely stunning tone and playing. Iā€™ve never held a LP, but Iā€™ve heard other people say theyā€™re very ā€œdifferentā€ to play in some way.

1 Like

Amazing @Kasper! I really do like watching you make that bad boy/girl sing for ya!!

1 Like

Hey Kasper, that is great playing! Youā€™d get the nod from GM himself. Very evocative of his style. Are you playing straight into a Marshall for this? Settings?
Looking forward to hearing more of your playing.

1 Like

Hi Kasper,
Wowā€¦Iā€™ve heard this song countless times since the CD came outā€¦Iā€™ve heard and seen a cover band play it several times,but no one has come close to what youā€™re showing AND seeing hereā€¦The big man himself would could have played this on a poidium in my ears and I would have listened with my mouth open.
I will pass this on to several of my friends and acquaintances :sunglasses: :man_bowing: :man_bowing: :man_bowing:
Greetingsā€¦

1 Like

Fantastic performance!!!

1 Like

Awe inspiring!

1 Like

Iā€™m no great fan-boy of solos and tone chasing per se, but always interested to see what folks are up to on their journey and learn a bit along the way. That is a lovely looking guitar, Kasper, and the sound you get out of it is indistinguishable to my ears from the same solo I just listened to Mr. Moore playing in Montreux! Bravo!
i must be learning something, as I noticed the tone change when you switched from the neck to bridge pickup :laughing:
Iā€™m glad you decided not to do any of the ā€œvery fastā€ bits :rofl:
My only suggestion would to be include some Moore-styled face-pulling for our entertainment.
Enjoy your new axe, my friend!

1 Like

Iā€™m a Strat player but got an Epi LP for my 40th but never really got on with it. Trying it on some JG stuff I realised that it was wired wrong and change of pots sorted that. Still not such an easy guitar to play as a Strat but to get that tone you have to suffer. My Epi is solid and weighs a tone!

@Kasper how long have you been playing to achieve that level? I have a couple of Skid Row vinyls featuring GM that I got in the early 70ā€™s. He must have been around 17 when he did them and was good then.

1 Like

:rofl:

@p4gblue Hi, for this version I played the LP (almost) directly into a Soldano SLO30 - had a little bit of compression/boost going on before hitting the amp, which I always do. But otherwise itā€™s just the pure amp tone + a hint of short delay and a ton of long(ish) hall reverb. The Soldano is somewhat similar to a typical modded Marshall from that era, but quite a bit more ā€œfatā€ sounding than a stock Marshall. Gary actually played Soldanos for his live shows during the Still Got The Blues time - in the studio, who knows? I think the album tone sounds a bit more thin/sharpā€¦ so Iā€™m definitely guessing Marshall for thatā€¦ Soldanos sounds GREAT and are incredibly easy to dial in. Basically just set all the knobs at 12 oā€™clock, and do slight tweaks from there. I think I had slightly less bass and slightly more mids and treble (11 oā€™clock and 1 oā€™clock).

@rorystrat Yeah, I heard some of those early recordings as well. I really was into GM as a teenager, trying to collect as many CDs that I could. I was into both his Blues playing, hard-rock playingā€¦ and even the jazzy/fusion playing in bands like Colosseum II. He was just the greatest! As for how long Iā€™ve been playing - since I was a kid, so feels like all my life :wink:

:dizzy_face: :open_mouth: Wow! Kasper, that was awesome. The guitar sounds fantastic, just like Gary Mooreā€™s and your playing was superb. You can see the guitar looks a little bit chunkier but a small price to pay for that sound.

1 Like

Hey Kasper, thanks for all the inside info. Helps me feel more accepting of having to use compression/ drivers to get the sound in my head. Iā€™m always fighting the ā€˜straight into the ampā€™ school of thought. Loved your playing, it was so fluid and commandingā€¦ gave me a living guitar hero to emulate. All the best, Peter.

1 Like

Wow that was absolutely great :+1:

1 Like

Hey Kaspar! First time watching one of your videos & WOW! Iā€™m blown away by your talent!!! How long have you been playing? Really superb!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Tod

1 Like