Texas Shuffle - Pride and Joy Style

I’ve been working on playing in the style of Pride and Joy by Stevie Ray Vaughn. This is a clip of me practicing for a bit. How’s it sound? Frankly, it’s taken me many months to get it sound decent to my ears. I had to learn (get better at) a lot of techniques such as muting, raking, bending, moving up and down the neck quickly, etc. Thanks for any feedback!!

https://on.soundcloud.com/y6Pcy

10 Likes

Sounded pretty cool to me Enrique and it’s obvious that all that hard work is paying off👍.

1 Like

Yes! Loved that.

1 Like

@half_step

Man, that was real good I thought.
Your well on your way to playing that song I think.
imho, yer bends were good, yer double stops were good. The feel of the song was good. The tone of your guitar was good. Your choice of chords was good.
Darn man, I’m having a hard time trying to find anything that I think could be improved about what ya got going on there.
Perhaps, the only thing that I can say that could be improved is only at a few points, it felt a little forced for your playing. If your just starting to work on this, practice will fix that in short order I’d think.

Ya did real good on that.
Wondering though.
How are you remembering where to put the licks at? Do ya got some music to follow? Or just your memory? Ya playing that through a amp to get them very close to SRV tones? However ya did that, ya did good at getting the tone I hear in my mind when I think of that song.

I really liked that. Since ya say your just practicing, a little more of that practice and you’ll sound just like SRV.
Real good demo!
Ya got the feel man! Ya play real good imho.

1 Like

Enrique,
Dude! You are Rockin’ the Texas Swing Blues, man!!!
Sounds sweet to me and no criticism whatsoever as you are way above my play grade!!! Congratulations & thank you for posting a gem!!!

Tod

1 Like

Thanks!

Thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated!

I’ve been basically memorizing the song note-for-note from a course put out at Texas Blues Alley. My tone’s from Bias FX2 amp/pedal sims on my PC. I’ve been messing around with Bias for a long time and sort of been creating more usable tones over time. Thanks again for the feedback.

Hello Enrique, as I’m still a beginner guitar player, I can’t offer you any qualified feedback. I just wanted to say: ‘It sounded really cool :sunglasses:.’
The time and effort you’ve put into it absolutely paid off :smiley::+1::clap:.

1 Like

Sounds banging to my ears Enrique! Honestly not much I can comment on for advice so wanted to doff my hat to the amount of effort that’s clearly gone into this! :clap:

1 Like

Well done, Enrique! :clap: That was a delightful listen and all the practice pays off nicely, I think. Nothing I could advise here, as it’s beyond my playgrade. Great stuff! :grinning:

1 Like

Hi Enrique,
1:Sound cool :sunglasses: …2:playing cool :sunglasses: …3:I miss a video of you playing :smiling_face_with_tear:
added together : :smiley: it was amazing to listen to :clap:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Absolutely awesome - that’s how it sounded to me! Seriously good, sorry when it ended!

1 Like

Thanks everyone!

Sounded pretty Texas to my ears. Some loose strings ringing out near the beginning which wasn’t very SRV but the rest of it was. Nicely done!

1 Like

That sounded really good! Well done, but video next time, hard for me to give critique without seeing a person playing :grinning: honestly good job

1 Like

Video for sure once I learn the rest of it!!

Loving this one Enrique. A great groove to it and I thought the guitar tone was excellent.

Great job man.

1 Like