The 1-to-1 Sessions

Collated responses & discussion:

@LBro on September 18, 2021

Collated responses & discussion:

[quote=TheMadman_TheMadman_tobyjenner]

:+1: :sunglasses: [/quote]

Is there any way to send Garfield a message, because I actually learned how to play piano by chords and that’s all I do. Since I play guitar I can easily follow any guitar player as long as the guitar chords don’t get too complicated!
Debbie

1 Like

Hi @Guerita and welcome to the community.
It seems Garfield has not made it over here yet.

Oh ok! It’s funny, I scrapped the piano sheet music years ago, bc it was too stressful. LOL It’s much easier and fun to play piano by chords like you do on a guitar.

1 Like

newborn sloth with no arms :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

Hi Everybody ,
with just a little too much time…
Because I don’t have a lot to say about my session with Justin,…but I fear that still a lot of words will be put on paper here…sorry,…you have been warned, you can still stop Hey!..

Not?,…oke… :smiley:

A very very long time ago there were people who were kind enough to give this to me…thank you I enjoyed it …and in a strange and good way it still helps me… .at first it was a bit of a shock …firstly way too much honor :blush:…and I know from myself that I wanted to put my best foot forward (oh I don’t really have good feet) and above all, play for someone you know so well, and for me it doesn’t matter if that’s Justin (after all, he’s a teacher) or for musical friends hearing me for the first time,…
After the first ‘shock’ I just thought the sentence that has made my life easier the last 3(?) years…

…I CAN WITH GREAT CONFIDENCE BE VERY INSECURE…

I know I’m going to rattle and make mistakes…and I don’t care as long as I don’t (consciously OR unconsciously) offend people…
Okay I believe it was at 3 o’clock,…played well warm, that has to be very long because of some inconveniences from the past,…Angie van the Stones would be my number, yes nicely chosen :confounded:…10 minutes stop playing before time …be ready for zoom,…the 3rd zoom session ever and one was an open mic with you peeps so don`t used to it…the whole hour is there and…nothing…grrr,what am i doing wrong,5 minutes 10 minutes 15 minutes??? E-mail Laryne …help something goes wrong…and I don’t like to ask for help,…within 1 minute …hi roger, well I don’t know, I’m going to have a look,…5 minutes later I’m looking at Justin and say hello,…something came up with sports,a little accident with a friend elbow, but nothing to really panic so we started and he gently pointed me out I should be glad there was a big distance between us because he hadn’t had a shower yet :smile:
I started off by saying I was just a handshake now from Jeff Beck who I used to listen to a lot and occasionally still, but now I was happier chatting with you… only it took me 50 seconds and a long description before I…no Justin… came up with that name :blush: (i remember Nice-France he played there in his suport act)…so I already started well … not…my problem is that while I’m talking I’m busy with other things that I want to say…and it’s not cooperating that I really don’t like video calling … calling anyway but video calling with light interference now and then … Aaaasaa…but for the rest it went fine…Justin was no longer nervous to meet me and saw that I was tame and wouldn’t bite :smile:

Yes folks and now one of the reasons I’ve waited so long with this story…I actually have nothing to say about the lesson…put 2 ramblings against each other and time flies… …after 55 minutes Justin says grab your guitar then at least I have done something with the lesson … Yes feel free to play in, … but I need longer than ‘a moment’
and Justin kept saying … I’m in no rush, I don’t have to go anywhere yet … but I noticed that my hands really weren’t going to do it with that head that was still full in talk/stories mode… and if I had Angie quite well prepared…i thought… … the strumming still sounds way too clumsy … but the rest…I didn’t bring it at all … :see_no_evil: and for some stupid reason I couldn’t think of anything simpler to show… I simply gave up after what i think was a bad ‘waiting for a friend’ also stones ,but that popped up my mind ???..

A great thing was , I didn’t care to much… badly prepared, learned a great lesson from that,
And of course wanted to show here that I can do it… but the sound recording without video is still far from good especially hitting the chords doesn’t sound good … so I’ll do my best again soon, I was there done with Angie.

We talked some more and because it was rather personal, I can’t say much more about it, that’s not up to me…Although of course they are not secrets,just talk about life and stuff,… but it would just be weird to wright down a conversation completely here… Right?..But Justin, in case you’re so bored that you started reading this, and because you almost to refer it in your last lesson,and saying you will later do… I see a black and only a black environment when I close my eyes :flushed:, never known. :upside_down_face:…I don’t mind at all, but it’s super weird because i don’t realize it until i`m 48

And I got another good tip to buy an acoustasonic if I wanted to do more with acoustic guitar with the thinnest body…this because of my problems with my body…

So, something very special happened and I learned something I didn’t expect at all and gives a new insight into that weird head of mine…It was nice talking to you and I’m looking forward to it to next year i hope if you visit this small country,…
Greetings to everyone here who read it … don’t complain that you learned nothing from me , I warned you :blush:

Edit:
and I have to add to my story what I wrote about the conversation with Justin,…but in the last minute I said that my biggest wish is to learn to play the blues, and he said then…learn one or a maximum of 2 licks and play them not for weeks but months (well of course a lot is relative to the time you play per day,…and this is what I (rogier) add), do that well really I say this often and nobody really nobody does this :flushed:…I can’t just forget all the licks I’ve learned and I’ve been working on this for months now…but I have haven’t learned a new lick since our conversation, also got rid of a few … and I’ll keep it that way for a long time,…i hope… uh do.
End of Edit

When my wife comes home tonight I’ll let her read it and maybe I’ll have to make some adjustments…she sat there for a moment to say hello to the man (also with a busy head (monkey head he calls it in several videos) )I’ve been looking at every day for so long for more than 2 years :see_no_evil: :joy:, and later in the nearby in case something happens to the computer … or whatever could go wrong…

All the best to everyone,…
Rogier…

12 Likes

What a great write up Rogier

You’ve got a bit of a Stones theme happening so I’ll just say it sounds like you got what you need :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing @roger_holland, you lucky bugger. Sounds like a great time. Also thanks for awakening this thread, some good reads here.

I’m looking forward to seeing your acoustasonic and video of Angie. :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

@roger_holland thanks for sharing your experience, Rogier. And if nothing else, it stoked your GAS fire.

I’d also like to see you playing Angie … one day I shall be ready to give it a go.

Justin sure is easy to talk to and I expect the conversation was good for both of you.

Once again, the honour was well deserved.

4 Likes

Hi Mari @Mari63 ,
Thanks, and I did a not entirely trivial edit on what Justin said about learning licks for us blues aficionados…
And :joy: :rofl:

Hi Jk @jkahn ,
Glad you enjoyed reading it

Yes and i see David also talking about it…it’s a shame that Justin of all people is going to stir up GAS, he should be ashamed…Bad Justin Bad Justin :see_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:.

:see_no_evil:You are terrible too…

I’m going to try it from tomorrow… the sound recording/quality of play that I (apparently) recorded on the morning of the conversation itself I’m not happy with but I’ll post maybe if I find the video much better as a reference, but the one without video image then on my LL…

Hi David, @DavidP ,
Same to you as what I said to Jk :face_with_raised_eyebrow::smile:

And yes, you’re absolutely right, super relaxed and actually I didn’t expect anything else to the hundreds of hours that I’ve been listening to him and what I’ve read and how he writes things down,…
And thanks for your kind words :blush:

Greetings to you nice people …also for those who leave a good vibes without comment, I really appreciate this :sunglasses: … thanks…
Rogier,…

5 Likes

@roger_holland

What just happened?
???
:confused:
haha
Did you enjoy it?
Did someone say GAS?

Taylor T5

2 Likes

Oooooooooooooo Richard… :speak_no_evil:

I hope it was clear i really liked it, :partying_face: :sunglasses: :upside_down_face:
otherwise I wouldn’t visit him again here in the low countries,…

,…but what are you doing now, :hot_face:…lighting up the fire with the even more beautiful Taylor T5, I had already seen a Mexican variant of the Fender for a little less money,(I’m still just an intermediate beginner) … but I have also come across this one in the past (cough nbot even 1 year ago) … .but I absolutely have to play it in a guitar shop, I have now bought 3 guitars online (I was lucky everything was good) but I don’t want that anymore,… Ooo a Taylor,…Bad Richard very very very … :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :hot_face:

2 Likes

Along with every other guitar in the shop and take home all the one’s that feel and sound perfect to you

:thinking:

Glad I ignored your warning and continued reading, a very nice and insightful write up. Glad you got something special from it. Now did you tell Justin that you don’t follow his lessons in order and prefer to walk a chaotic path? :wink: hopefully he gave you a map so you don’t get lost :grinning:

3 Likes

Thanks for an update Rogier, sounded like you had a blast and you took away not only GAS :grinning: but also stuff that will help you with your guitar journey which is super cool! :wink: my turn next week! :laughing:

3 Likes

Is this the first 1-1 write up since moving house? :open_mouth:
No better man than Rock ‘n’ Rollstuhl Roger :smiley:
Thanks for reviving fond memories.
Two licks, eh?
Two-Lick-Larsen’ does have a ring to it. Maybe I should reassess my goals :rofl:

3 Likes

Great to read the experience Rogier, thank you for taking the time to share it. I am exceedingly envious! It was well deserved and another repeat of how Justin is such a terrific teacher and character.

Really pleased for you and I can’t wait to hear the Acoustasonic as well :wink:

2 Likes

Surely you meant to type Good Justin, Good Justin!! :rofl:

2 Likes

Hi James @Socio ,
Thanks, and all guitars that sound good and are beautiful :flushed:… then I have to rob 2 banks first … but I’m afraid I stand out just a little too much :upside_down_face:

I followed the entire curriculum neatly from A to Z with the theory course after grade 2 or something…but of course I didn’t consolidate anything then,…I wanted to have seen and done everything…so good and so bad (weird pronunciation in english I think)…and now I’m cherry picking…But with that you do have a point about that chaotic path (which I did say that way too in your ll :blush:)…

Hi Adrian @adi_mrok ,

Definitely more than that indeed,…and :flushed:,so glad i wrote it now, :sweat_smile:
otherwise you would have your story even sooner … I wish you a lot of fun, not to forget to say,… have fun with your gift,…I’ll show you mine soon :sunglasses:

Hi Brian, @brianlarsen ,
You again :sweat_smile: :joy: :joy:
Thanks for you kind words…succes with reading with that other thing… :sweat_smile:
Yes, the mods made a mistake and so I was the first in this house…but it’s fixed well with Adrian now…
Yes not more than two in the first long time,…and i so understand now why,…but well :upside_down_face:

Hi Mark, @Notter ,
Thank you for your kind words too,…
That guitar is going to take a while, I really have to go for that, this weekend Thomann will order a tuning pedal, picks and wireless cable system…
About bad Justin, that was not so bad indeed,…Richard made it worse by reminding me of that T5…maybe the guitar shops in a radius of 15 kilometers won’t sell it at all :sweat_smile:,

Greetings,…

5 Likes