The Breeders - Cannonball

So, I often see that beginner tutorials are referring to Nirvana and Metallica, and those massive known classic songs, but Iā€™m really drawn to Cannonball from The Breeders. When it comes up on the radio, the volume goes way up!

It doesnā€™t seem to be the most difficult song to learn, very repetitive, but it has a strong vibe that makes me want to play loud and sing (yell) with it. :smiley:
Ok, arenā€™t all rock songs from our teenage days like that?

Itā€™s one of my first goal songs on my list to learn to play, although my power chords are really not good at this moment. I canā€™t seem to stretch my index and ring finger far enough to play consistently ( I know, practice, practiceā€¦ :slight_smile: )

Just wanted to share this ā€œpersonalā€ info with you bunchā€¦

3 Likes

Nothing better than setting a goal to keep your motivated :+1:

You could cheat a bit if you tune the low E down to D?

1 Like

Nice project to get stuck into Wouter. Enjoy learning it and maybe we will hear you play it one day soon.

1 Like

That song is pure genius. It has so many quirks in one song and yet we all find them natural to go there. This is a song, together with ā€œdrinking in LAā€ that makes me utterly nostalgic to a certain point in my life where the freedom/worries ratio was at itā€™s absolute best. If I were a music teacher, this could be one of the songs to decompose and analyse for creative use of techniques, composition and dynamics.

1 Like

What a great tune that is and it does the same for me with the nostalgia. I bought the album that that was on a few months ago and what a great album it is.

Sorry to hi-jack.

2 Likes

Cannonball has always been one of my all time favourite songs ever made. It would be a real challenge to cover this solo, and thereby including the feel and dynamics of 2 guitar riffs and one 1 iconic bass riff in one!

1 Like

Yeah, covering this solo will be challenging, but maybe when I can play all bits separately, it might turn into an opportunity to start recording and editing myself into 1 song. (good excuse to buy a bass, no? :D)
Or find nearby members to jam together, or ask members to play a part each and then edit us together into 1 complete song?
But thatā€™s already think waay too far in advance. :smiley: