The Chain - Fleetwood Mac

I’m just about to start grade 3, but when Justin put this lesson out i just had to try it! Seems all my song learning selections start that way. I hear it and just have to learn it even if it takes a loooong time to get through. This one took at least 6 months to get this far, and it remains flawed. But i set this goal as an end of my second year of learning song goal. Seemed appropriate to post here for the community.

I really prefer the intricacies of finger style over strumming, but i make sure to work on strumming some songs most days that i play. Usually with the song app to try and work on playing in time.

This song certainly taught me patience and diligent practice are the way to go!

The arrangement is set so i have to work through the various transitions. Not so much for a show. My plan is smooth out the transitions and work towards creating feeling in the music. I fully expect that to take some time and much further learning

24 Likes

That’s a great rendition Adam.

Nice work :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That was really good Adam. Great job and terrific fingerpicking. Enjoyed that a lot :sunglasses:

1 Like

Nice picking Adam, instantly recognisable for sure. Way beyond me to critique that style and you seem well aware of where you want to take this. So I look forward to progress reports and maybe some other recordings.

Certainly a great way to enter the Community, so Hi and Welcome.
I’d suggest dropping in here and sharing your back story with folks here abouts,

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

That’s a good call! I’ll make that happen thanks

1 Like

Yeah, that’s exactly how I feel. Fingerstyle is wonderful yet the are some songs that just suit strumming.

Great work on the chain,

1 Like

Nice job. I’m just beginning with fingerstyle, this was inspirational. I’m not even a month in yet. Trying to follow Justin’s strong suggestion of perfect practicing as opposed to just practicing in order to not learn bad habits. Seems you have that concept nailed.

2 Likes

One of my favourite pieces ever. !! Thank you

1 Like

Nice fingerpicking and recognizable to, well done.

1 Like

Hi Zeus,

Great job.
The fingerpicking is really clean and well controlled.
Nice sounding guitar too.

Digger

1 Like

Lovely job with that Adam, an amazing tune. I can’t offer any advice as that’s way ahead of my experience but really enjoyed the share, thank you!

1 Like

That was very impressive playing Adam. Great picking, especially that last bit where your fingers were doing one thing and your thumb another.

Bravo!

1 Like

That was really awesome great job!

1 Like

Some very nice picking there and a lovely introduction to the forum. I would really strongly suggest you have a go at playing this against a backing track…would be a really good way of making sure you’ve got the timing right and would also add to the overall performance. That by the way is not me saying it isn’t JUST it would be a next step in progressing it.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community, Adam, that was quite some entrance.

Lyndsay Buckingham is a masterful guitarist and you are already doing a good job on this classic. Keep on keeping on.

1 Like

Terrific debut AVoYP Adam. One of my favourite FMac songs and you’ve really got the fingerstyle for that one up to a high standard.

I’m interested that you say you’ve been at this one for 6 months. Do you learn other fingerstyle songs at the same time or just this one?

1 Like

Hey there thanks! I was learning other things along with this but this song was my main song focus during that 6 months. Only other song i had worked on prior as fast as finger style goes was House of the Rising Sun.

The changing patterns in this one were hard to keep straight for me, and the end took a looong time to get down and still needs work. Super fun along the way!

That part was quite the journey to learn!

Wow, very nicely done.
I also enjoy learning finger style pieces - and I know the patience they can take sometimes.
It shows that you’ve put a lot of effort into this one.

1 Like

Very nice. Curious, are you tapping your foot or just rocking?

1 Like