The Circus Is In Town - a collaboration (Richard, Brian & Roman)

Note - no animals were harmed in the making of this music.

Note - the original instrumental track is at the bottom of this post, collaborations versions to follow below.

Warning – the original draft audio track contains no actual guitar.

Some time back in time, when writing the Circle of Fifths topic I composed a short example of a chord progression in this post. That progression made use of a borrowed chord and I composed it to demonstrate how the Circle of Fifths is a powerful tool to help with such things. This one idea directly led to a brand new topic on the subject of borrowed chords in its own right here.

@brianlarsen - who was avidly following along as the Circle of Fifths topic developed - listened to the progression in question (which I described as a lilting dirge) and wrote in reply:

… All your lilting dirge needs is a bridge, a chorus, some circus show lyrics and hey presto - you’ll have a wonderful Waitsian waltz :slight_smile:

That rather sparked my imagination. Over the course of a few weeks I got some ideas forming, made out with some chord progressions (in the minor key, naturally) and found something I liked. Inspired, I fired up Guitar Pro and began creating a multi-track computer-generated digital piece of musical art. There were no real instruments on it at all. None. I did use my guitar to compose and develop parts of it but I then went back to Guitar Pro to create the tracks.

I wanted to create a Waitsian, dystopian, carnival of the grotesque and strange. Much as I thought Brian might appreciate. I had all sorts of ideas scribbled down on bits of paper for lyrics - trying to encapsulate ideas in pithy and comic circus metaphor, euphemism and simile alluding to the ‘state of the world’ etc. I tried and found the task defeating me. Too many little ideas, rhymes, phrases without being able to find the central core around which to arrange them. I set the entire project aside for another day.

Weeks passed. It went neglected. Until, in a what-the-heck moment, I decided to simply post the audio track in the (old) community forum. I thought it somewhat long. I had not worked on mixing levels, panning left-right any of the instruments, nothing like that. I just released it into the public domain. And in doing so I dedicated it to Mr Larsen who had first given me the impetus to create.

I described it as a scrap of an idea in need of a lyric and some further work and refinement and threw it out here thinking that someone might give it a listen and appreciate it for what it was regardless. At some point, maybe, I or some other person would add a lyric and vocal melody.

The working title of this piece was The Circus Is In Town.

As the project was prompted by the concept of borrowed chords, it seems only right to post the chord progressions.

Skip to the Brian Larsen version here.
Skip to the Richard Coles video of Brian’s version here.
Skip to the Roman Shootov remix here.

6 Likes

Note - this long post contains only comments & replies migrated from the original topic in the old forum. If you want to continue with the main narrative skip to post #3 here.

I was fortunate to receive some kind reactions.

From @TheMadman_tobyjenner

OK so this is really cool and shows just how fantastic a tool Guitar Pro is. Have you examined the FX side?
I cannot think of a better way to wait for my latest track/video to be rendered in Reaper. I am hearing lyrics in my head but due their political nature, cannot share them here. But give me access to the BBC’s news archives from the last 2 years and I’d have a ball with this. Your bridge just kicks in and the solo, I am hearing Mike Oldfield on steroids or was that Sirkay? Chapeau Mr C that was mega cool.
Cheers Toby :sunglasses:

From @LievenDV

Damn that’s creepy Close :stuck_out_tongue: It’s quite long indeed but I like the idea. Interesting way to go from Cm to C.

My reply: " Thanks Lieven - I could go in to the theoretical technicalities of it all … and may do … but the main thing is ‘if it sounds good … etc’. And … a diminished chord. An actual diminished chord. At last. The sad, neglected and ugly relative of the chord family is invited to the party!

From @oldhead49

Pretty clever, Richard. This is a great progression with many possibilities. I can envision scenes at a crowded carnival from a scary type movie, with a lot of different scenarios. You need to finish it off.

From @batwoman

Your intro to this is as fascinating as the mp3 Richard. When I’m in a jolly mood, or perhaps a very sombre mood as a dark contrast, I think I’d like to sing something to this. Already I can hear a heavy Russian accent and then I hear butterflies wings in flight, then I see elephants in a line walking to the water, then there’s ribbons of colours all swirling around my head, then a dark, malevolent something in the shadows oh it goes on. Layers of vocals. I’ve got about 6 different videos playing in my head and I’m not even half way through. You really are too clever.

My reply:
“I wanted to somehow capture the frenetic circus-wurlitzer of The Beatles song Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite. It is a little trick with two C minor arpeggios being played 3-in-1-line in opposite directions on two organs. Organ 1 ascending → descending and Organ 2 descending → ascending.
I worked hard to get this to my satisfaction. A single fast arpeggio didn’t work. I added a second organ track that harmonised it a 3rd above (meh) then a 3rd below (meh) then a 5th above and a 5th below (meh). Then it struck me to simply take organ 2 and make it do the exact opposite and voila! That is what you hear. You really are too kind.”

From @DarrellW

I liked the use of the swapped chords particularly Cm to C and Eb to Ddim. It needs some words … Maybe Brian could come up with some witty prose!.

My reply:
“Thanks Darrell. The C and Cm is a key change rather than a borrowed chord. Eb and D dim is a variation within the same key of C minor. The verses are in C minor. The chorus is in C major. The bridge / instrumental is ambiguous with its use of 5 chords though the overall chord structure reflects the chorus as it has Dm instead of Fm.
I pulled several sleights of hand in the progression - walking a tightrope (if you’ll allow the circus analogy as it is in keeping) between borrowing chords, changing keys and making the key ambiguous. I am pretty pleased with that aspect of the ‘composition’ I must say. Making the mood shift from verse to chorus was my wish and it seems to have worked. On that - I actually debated with myself over which should be verse and which should be chorus … a minor key verse and a major key chorus (as here) or vice versa. I’m still a little undecided on that. The lyric may make my mind up in the end.”

From @adi_mrok

Diabolical, clown as a main pic made it even more spooky… dig ot and would love to hear real instruments one day!

From @brianlarsen

The Forum at its finest, Richard. Someone says / does something, and it sets off a chain reaction resulting in creativity, learning and warm fuzzy feelings of friendship in our bellies! :slight_smile: Needless to say, I’m chuffed to bits. You have indeed captured that Waitsian / Weil dystopian cabaret vibe; and yes, it is deserving of some Brechtian lyrics. I look forward to hearing what you come up with.
Of course, my neurons are already starting to discharge slowly, conjuring imagery. I shall refrain from committing to share any ideas (as that only adds pressure) but rest assured you have already provided me with many hours of fun puns and word-play to look forward to. More vibes to you! 8)

From @DavidP

Full marks for the creativity and composition, Richard. Most certainly on the darker, disturbed side of the circus, Roald Dahl’s circus, even Stephen King’s.

From @Rossco01

That is very good and sounds like it was a bit of a journey of development! I need to look back at your circle of 5ths stuff and the theory course again…I sort of stalled half way through and starting to need the refresh now I’m actually using some of it. I can almost hear a Lennon/McCartney composition over this.

@Bytron08

Good job close! That was really wild sounding to my ears especially the end part, but i liked it. Nice little production too!

From @CT

Nice exploration and musical wizardry. I picked up the “Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite” vibe as intended. Cool explanation of the process and tools as well. Really nice share!

From @LBro

Hi Close, I have to say, this has a real circus feel and vibe to it. You should be doing movie scores or something! Found it a bit simple (sounding), but clean and fun. From the work you put in as described, it was not simple. By simple I mean there was not a ton of stuff in the mix to clutter it up. I think it came out really good and thanks for sharing! Nice work and interesting to say the least!
Keep rock’n, LB

From @brianlarsen

Hi Richard, I had a proper listen to this today and started jotting down a couple of thoughts.

From @MikeSebastianP

Hi, Richard! This is an excellent production, I think you have achieved an excellent result and created the mood that you intended for this piece! :slight_smile: Very beautiful harmony, I liked the chord change. Thanks for sharing. Mike

From @Digger72

Hi Richard. Love it. Got a bit of “Alabama Song” vibe to it. It’s screaming out for some insanely over the top vocals, or maybe something Screaming Jay Hawkins-esque. Got a nice sinister feel to it. I think the last minute with that industrial steam plant sound could perhaps do with heavier simplistic drums. Get some vocals on it! Digger

From @crocodile1

A great experiment with a chord sequence! A lot of work has been done, it is very interesting that this is a set of electronic instruments only. Continue your experiments further, this is something very unusual! Leo

3 Likes

What happened next was quite the thing. Along came Mr Larsen, no other, with his talent for the written word, his equal talent for character imbued vocals and he triumphed, turning my musical carnival into a wondrous (a hideous) burlesque.
With just this simple introductory topic-starter:

5 Likes

Note - this long post contains only comments & replies migrated from the original topic in the old forum. If you want to continue with the main narrative skip to post #5 here.

There were some insanely generous reactions:

From @DavidP

I know I am repeating myself, Brian, but you sure do have outstanding creative juices to compose lyrics, melody, and deliver dramatically … all the more so when venturing down the darker paths. Your lyrics and vocals just bring to life Richard’s dark circus music. Richard, step right up and take a bow. The two of you rocked the house. Another exceptional moment to go down in Forum history.

From @Richard_close2u

Your creative talent has me tumbling and stumbling in a whirling wurlitzer of giddy proportions. This is beyond good.
It started with this 25 second 8 bar progression demonstrating the use of a borrowed dominant V chord to give a strong resolution to the tonic chord in a minor key. I commented that I couldn’t resist composing it as a lilting 6/8 dirge. Brian made reply “All your ‘lilting dirge’ needs is a bridge, chorus circus show lyrics and hey presto- you’ll have a wonderful Waitsian waltz.” That had me captured right there. It simply had to be done. And I did it. But I couldn’t get any of my lyrical ideas to work. So threw it out in to the public domain and, well …
Roll up Roll up Mr Larsen. BRAVO. Take a bow.
Your depiction of the over-painted and over-pained facade of the vaudevillian villain is imbued with decay, decrepitude and dusty-cynicism. There is a glimpse of malevolent menace and resigned redundancy in the character. I think I need to stop adding my own lyricism to yours as your words stand high on their own.
Your dramatic delivery fills the big top, enriching and immersing the listener in the sights, sounds and smells you so vividly convey. BRAVO.

From @CT

Very creative, sir! That’s the creepiest clown vibe ever. I’m now disconnected from the Mr Kite trip. Great attention to details here. Well done.

From @DarrellW

Brian, your genius astounds me! This is just amazingly good, I’m glad I gave it a tiny bit of a nudge at one point but hearing this just confirms my thoughts about your lyrical thinking and genius of applying it to almost any subject! Vibes in awe of your work on this!

From @batwoman

You are a class act Brian. Vibes.

From @adi_mrok

This was so cool, what a dynamic duo! Keep on rockin’ my friends

From @sairfingers

That was terrific Brian. Really scary, especially the last bit. You really captured the feel of those painted circus clowns and what they might actually be thinking. Ooohhh shivers down the spine!

from @Digger72

Hi Brian, you did it!! :smiley: Gave the music the vocal it deserved. Equal measures of sinister and wildly trippy. Loved the lyrics. Great collaboration. Digger

And there you have it folks. The epitome of why the word coulrophobia was invented. :o
But seriously no fear of clowns here. The original musical score was epic in its own proportions even without lyrics but isn’t it wonderful, there is some one as mad as me, with a penchant for the dark and foreboding (not you Digger). Step forward Mr Larsen the Demonic Dane (with added bits)!
Brain, that was so cleverly written over Richard’s score but delivered with an amazing panache. What an incredible piece of work from you both. I have run out of hats as they have been all thrown to the sky.
If someone were to make a video I still have my original candidate for the Master Clown but we won’t go there on this forum.
Made my Sunday. Thank you Richard and Brian. Cheers Toby 8)

From @crocodile1

Brian, I’m just shocked. I didn’t think it was possible to sing a waltz like that. You and Richard both did something very unusual. I am proud that there are such personalities on our forum! Leo/

From @LBro

Hum. This is a real circus act. You and Close are too tight on this stuff… I mean as an innkeeper, you need to be tame and take care of your guests. It would seem you have a number of firsts here. Some video manipulation, mixing goodies and overall fun going on. Enjoyed your play and vox! Gosh I think I even hear drums in there. Cool! Keep rockin, LB

2 Likes

I couldn’t resist making my own video including Brian’s superb lyric / vocal.
I used a slightly altered backing track and laid the vocal over that.

4 Likes

Mr Larsen then came along with quite the thing.

@brianlarsen wrote:

Bear with me for a bit of background before we break the rules. Last year I was offered the opportunity to take part in a songwriting course, which was above my play-grade, but good fun as well as educational. When applying to join the course, I submitted a couple of my own dirges along with the kind of song I would have loved to have written (see below). It was by The Burning Hell from Canada and had a pleasant tune, witty lyrics and even a cool guitar solo. They were supposed to be playing in Liverpool, but had to cancel for… well you know. I messaged the singer/songwriter Mathias Kom and shared Richard’s circus song with him. Richard had told me I should share this song with a wider audience. Our guru is a modest man and doesn’t blow his own trumpet, so I shall share part of the response Mathias sent me back.
“I have moderate courlophobia so I had to press play and then switch tabs while listening…but great job! and a fantastic chord progression.”
Well, there you have it.
Now back to edgy etiquette, there is a ‘forbidden word’ repeated in this song (in a gentle way), but I shall share anyway, in the hope that Richard ‘won’t see it’, at least until the usual suspects have had a giggle.
There, you’ve been warned.
Now enjoy!

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

As if that wasn’t enough. As if the final chapter had not concluded the story. As if the denouement was lacking. As if …

Brian was contacted from afar. Long time community member and collaborator extraordinaire Roman Shootov @RomanS messaged Brian asking if he could do a remix. Over the course of days and weeks, communications between Roman, Brian and Richard passed back and forward. Until one fine day … Ta-Dah! A new and sparkling version of the song came to light and dazzled us.
Over to Brian, who kindly introduced this next instalment.

What have the Romans ever done for us? Well, a funny thing happened on the forum last week. After the unexpected collaboration with Richard on the ‘circus’ project, and witnessing him play it at the OM on guitar, I thought it might be nice to surprise him with his splendid programmed music replaced by more traditional instruments. Enter our Russian resident mix-master, Roman, who has been keeping his head down lately. Although he’s been busy in his real life, he kindly agreed to have a listen and see what he could contribute. The cat had to be let out of the bag, as he needed the programmed parts from Richard, so the three musketeers set off on their merry way…
Well, not quite.
This turned out to be quite an odd ‘collaboration’, insofar as somebody ‘did a thing’ then somebody else picked up the baton and used that to put their own spin on it and passed it on to the next to reinterpret again. There was minimal discussion amongst us (that was listened to ;D) and the results once again demonstrate what a wonderful place this forum is, where people help and encourage others purely for the enjoyment of it.
I love both Richard’s and Roman’s versions. The good thing about music is you don’t have to choose. Thank you both - and I promise- no more jumping the shark :wink:

8 Likes

Note - this long post is the last of the posts that contains only comments & replies migrated from the original topic in the old forum. If you want to continue with the main narrative scroll down or skip to the top post #1 here.

It did of course provoke further superlative laden comment from our fine friends.

From @batwoman

This is so coolio. Now you’ve been Schlaffenwagen’d. I wonder about the next destination for the circus?

From @oldhead49

This really is a circus ;D. Lots of fun and some really good music, lyrics and mix. Who gets it next?

From @DavidP

Another fine mix. I enjoyed the instrumentation. Get dark, Gotham City Joker imaginings whenever I listen to this. Bravo all!

From @DarrellW

Haha, it’s just brilliant! Takes the work of the maestro mixer to get it to this level, well worth the effort!!!

Listened through headphones this morning and boy what a great mix. Roman has taken it to the stratosphere with the panning etc, its so much crisper and takes on a 3D personality. The Hammond organ at the end comes in a slaps you in the face, did I miss that on the other.
Truly brilliant colab guys. Cheers Toby 8)

From @adi_mrok

Great take on a proper community collab here, sounded to me very lively and overall enjoyable.

From @CT

Knock it off with this song already! I mean giving it away. For crying out loud it’s an original and already has a cult following. Get it up on Bandcamp, Spotify or other for $5 downloads or whatever the going rate is. Please take our money!

From @sairfingers

This production just keeps getting better and better. Terrific collaboration guys. Well done!

From @crocodile1

Brian, I listened to the previous version again and compared it with this one. I like the new version better. The instrumental part of the track has become especially richer. It turned out to be a beautiful thing. Leo

From @Willsie01

Great fun and so well done! ;D

From the man himself @RomanS

Hi folks. Thanks a lot to all those who had found time to listen :slight_smile:
My job was very simple. Got the message from Brian, got the Guitar Pro file from Richard, put that file into GP, exported midi stems track by track, got the vox audio file, put that cocktail into my DAW, shacked but did not stir, added some vst instruments and drums and voila ::slight_smile:
I would like to thank those 2 really talented guys for inviting me into the project with only one remark.
I had that Roll up Rollup phrase in my mind for a week thinking how to make several Brians (who had no time to record couple of doubles >:( :o :)) from only one stereo audio track. That was a challenge but I’ve found the way out.
Still kicking and sincerely yours, Roman

From @Richard_close2u

Thanks to Brian and Roman who, between them, cooked up the idea and the execution for this remix. I must only surmise that Roman spent hours at the mixing desk. He shared several ‘work in progress’ mixes the first of which was #23. This finished version is several more mixes beyond that point. Roman was good enough to ask our thoughts and, with a little discussion, he satisfied his ear and ours too. I was unsure about the alteration to the wurlitzer intro / outro section at first but those deeper voiced sounds grew on me a lot and made me think of little laughing gremlin type grotesques which is so in keeping. The solo caused A few issues as when exporting from GP7 the notations for slides and bends were all lost so Roman had to work to bring them back - and did great. The rock section seems to really power along. The piano addition in the verses / chorus is a great touch.
Bravo. Roll up indeed. :slight_smile:

From @LBro

Good production all around and I enjoyed it all. Your vocals Brian, have a lot of emotion and fit really well. The mix is of the usual high standard and the instrument play is great too. Good collab guys! The crew should take a bow about now! I guess I might consider adding one other element to the song and that is some backing vocals… But that is just my take on it.
Keep rock’n, LB

From @SgtColon

That was great and who gets the vibe for it? ;D

From @Digger72

Hi Guys. The song that keeps on giving - and it truly now is an anthem for Hallowe’en. Great mix. Love the keys during the first part of the song. Great tone to them. Brill stuff.
Digger

3 Likes

I admit, that I only could skim read this thread so far ( time, time, time :see_no_evil:)… for a beginner, like me, it’s absolutely outstanding, brilliant and overwhelming! :heart_eyes:Thank you for sharing! I’m speechless, what a great collaboration!

1 Like

Mr C lovely to see such a wonderful story about what can happen in this mad house, carried over from the old house. Great memories and great musicality all round !

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

It took me a while to get through all that but it was well worth it. Great work guys! Really well put together and delivered.

1 Like

@Helen0609 @TheMadman_tobyjenner @Eddie_09 Many thanks for visiting and enjoying.
I’m especially grateful to Andrew and Eddie who were not there for the birth of this when it first appeared - you are offering a fresh pair of eyes and ears to the whole malarkey and I’m glad you enjoyed it.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Addendum … of course … I almost forgot … how could I forget?

I did almost get away with delivering a one-off live acoustic performance of this song at Community Open Mic 004 in October 2021. JustinGuitar.com Community Open Mic - 4th Edition (October 2021) - YouTube I even stomped on an overdrive and a fuzzface pedal! :wink: Well, why not! It was fun but the wheel did fall off my unicycle towards the end haha.

4 Likes

Good times, good memories … thanks for sharing Richard

1 Like

Well done everyone this was a fascinating read of how this project evolved, it was before my time here. Thanks for taking the time to bring this over from the old site. Great to see it evolve to an OM performance. Every day here keeps highlighting to me how much there is to learn.

Aww… that’s so nice, Richard :smiley:
Of course I remember the whole process and the serendipitous way it evolved, but it really feels weird to read it all in one go. Almost brought a tear to my eye :smiling_face_with_tear:
I still think the fact that everyone just picked up the baton and ran with it ‘independently’ before passing it on, was the unusual aspect of this one. I hadn’t listened to it for a while, and have a slightly mad clownish grin as I type… :clown_face:

1 Like

Hi Everyone involved in this, :man_bowing: :man_bowing: :man_bowing: :clap: :clap: :clap: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
I’ve talked with Brian about this before, but I hadn’t read and heard the entire story back on the old forum…fantastic :smiley:…and oh yes, started listening and reading yesterday, so now the second day with freaking clowns in my head sleeping tonight… :scream:…(under my bed?) :japanese_ogre: :clown_face:
Greetings

1 Like

:laughing: :+1: I’ve just started to look through some of these collaborations having not really ventured here in the past and oh my! this is such a fun lively and yet weirdly frightening production :rofl:

This just epitomises why I want to undertake this journey. Being able to get together with others and put something together like this, there is no better motivation.

Congrats guys, this was great. :+1: :laughing:

2 Likes

What :clown_face: bumps this dormant thread and reminds me of the joys of past collaborations? (esp. serendipitous ones) :rofl:
Cheers for the listen and comment, Craig. Keep your eyes (and mind) open mind and be prepared to literally jump on the band wagon when you get the chance. No matter what level you are, they will all stretch you, but the experience is worth its weight in gold.
It’s also a reminder for me to ‘curate’ my other ones, so I have a smorgasbord of happy memories all tied up in a single thread :smiley:

1 Like

@CD02 Wow, what kind words and it’s great you take inspiration towards your goal of making music. Thanks you. :slight_smile:

1 Like