The day started with such promise

Haha! One takes their chances when the opportunity arises. My wife and I had a good laugh about it as a good mate of mine offered to sign an affidavit attesting to the effect of the damage on the tonality.

2 Likes

Yeah, my luthier friend suggested using a socket that fits snug around the outside of the ferrule. I would also use a drift thatā€™s better sized to the ferrule. The one I used was a bit smaller so I was effectively hitting just one side of the ferrule which I suspect contributed a lot to the damage. I wish Iā€™d taken a picture of the underside of the piece that came out, it had the dark laminate of the headstock along with a smaller but significant piece of the headstock main wood.

If Iā€™d used a drift more sized to the ferrule, the pressure would have been the same all the way around the ferrule resulting in more even extraction.

My luthier friend said the pictures I sent him and my description meant he would be more careful with such repairs in the future as well. Imagine the stress of such a repair when you are being paid what in my view is a relatively low rate of pay for guitar repairs.

Thanks to all for your great replies. It was a lengthy post but with all the love and attention we give to our guitars, I figured it was worth it.

A small c-clamp works great for pressing stuff in/out. a piece of wood with a hole just big enough so the top of the ferrule goā€™s through on the front and a socket just a little smaller than the hole in back. few twists of the clamp will pop it out easy.
I probably would not have thought of this if you wouldnā€™t have said somethingā€¦ Thank you for that.

Dave

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a great idea, would allow slow continuous pressure. Thanks.

Sorry, Tony! Sounds like a frustrating day! Looks like you did a good job though, and good job on keeping your cool with it all too!
Also, a bit exciting though, sounds like a NGD coming up! :smiley:

1 Like

Tony, I like tinkering myself and appreciated all the detail on your project. I liked how you tackled one problem at a time a worked your way through it. Itā€™s the sweat equity that builds those relationships with our guitars! Good luck!

1 Like

@Dave999 Your suggestion of a c-clamp has given me the confidence to tackle replacing the tuners myself again. I was going to turn the job over to my luthier friend, but with the c-clamp I can have the slow pressure needed to extract without pulling off more of the veneer. Obviously with the right sized socket over the top of the ferrule.

hehe, Iā€™ve scored some unexpected consulting $ (Iā€™m retired) so the NGD is something Iā€™ve been actively working on. Getting closer to making a decision on that, hopefully within a month.

1 Like

not sure I would use a socket on top because itā€™s metal and could mar the finish but it depends on how tight there in thereā€¦ if the clamp turns pretty easy then it should be ok.

Ok. Thanks.

Oh Tony, Shock, horrorā€¦ :scream:
Pretty decent repair though, given the damage that was done. :+1:

What is the headstock surface material that actually cracked off? Paint? If so, maybe it can be filled and air sprayed, then repolished.

1 Like

The surface material is a thin veneer of wood. It wouldnā€™t be overly hard to fill it and completely restore the finish. I doubt that I will do it, as it is, the repair is hard to notice unless you are looking for it.

Itā€™s a guitar thatā€™s a keeper, I have owned it for well over 10 years now and canā€™t imagine selling it. So thereā€™s not a lot of motivation on my part to fix it further. I will still replace the tuners as I still have the new ones sitting here next to my desk.

1 Like