The Future Didn't Last

With moving, retirement, a pandemic, and other life stuff I have not been very active for the last year. Hopefully I can begin to rectify that. So, I decided to jump in with both feet and post my first (and so far only) original song.

The Future Didn’t Last

6 Likes

Very nice, look forward to hearing more from you.

That was great Mark. Lovely flow and story line. Nice tone one both guitar and vocals. Well done, :sunglasses:

Thanks Tony. It will have to covers for a bit. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks a lot Toby. :grinning:

1 Like

All recordings shared by the folk learning to play here are special, but there is something extra about an original. Thanks for sharing yours, Mark.

A moving ballad, played and sung with feeling.

I did find the overall volume of the recording to be low, 27dB below YouTubes norm. You’ve not shared any production details, but I suggest for future recordings it may be worth looking at your levels which may also help with an even better final sound.

I don’t recall welcoming you to the Community, but easy to forget things now: welcome to the Community :grinning:

Perhaps introduce yourself to the Community here - #community-hub:introduce-yourself - sharing a little of your musical history, aspirations, and what you are working at. In that I’d love to hear what might be behind your Community name.

Look forward to more from you and the covers to come.

That was great Mark. A lovely ballad well played. I’m always impressed by people who can write and play originals. Well done.

Thanks David, I agree that it was pretty quiet. I could probably increase the volume with reaper. It has been a while since I was active on the page. The only other videos I have posted so far were with my wife Jen last winter. They were humorous duets we made to share with family & friends. We called them the Kinsey’s House Wide Pandemic Tour. I do plan on doing more specific to my learning guitar and posting more often. I will head over to the introduction link and do that this morning. Thanks.

Thanks Gordon, I have wanted to try writing a song for some time. I came up with the last line of the chorus almost a year ago and thought it would just sit their unused. It wasn’t until I was noodling around with chords and Sus chords that it started coming to me.

Now you mention it I remember those, Mark. They were great. But few and far enough back that I didn’t remember you specifically.

That would be easily done with a stock limiter plugin and monitoring levels with the new loudness meter on the master track.

You may also want to watch Kenny Goia’s Reaper tutorial on proper recording levels. I’m on my phone now or I’d include a link to it.

I follow his channel, so I will search for it. Thanks!

1 Like

http://reaper.fm/videos.php#LJHm931XQGk

2 Likes

@TheCluelessLuthier Hi Mark. I thought I recognized you but this piece was so serious I wasn’t sure. Good to see you made the migration. And this serious music is sounding good. The first of many to follow I’m sure. Will be looking forward to more.

1 Like

Thanks Dave. I do want to do more writing, but they don’t come quickly for me. Parodies are SO much easier to write. I do plan on doing more, but will also start recording some covers.

That was great, Mark, if a little sad. I look forward to hearing more of your original offerings.

Thanks Stefan. Hopefully others won’t take so long to write. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Well done, Mark, and congratulations on writing and performing your first original. I think that’s a big deal. I’m looking forward to hearing more. :slight_smile:

Thanks Jason. I have to admit, I fretted over this one more than I have the covers or parodies I have done.