The G Chord... hacked!

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned here…

On some acoustic guitars, letting the A string, 2nd fret note ring just sounds bad. “Muddy”, as Justin describes it.

On my entry level Martin, it always sounded bad to my ear, until I saw Justin talking about this, and started muting the A string.

On my girlfriend’s entry level Denver, it sounds fine.

So that’s another thing to consider when choosing a G chord grip.

1 Like

I’m 57 and just started learning guitar on my own with Justin’s app late last year. For about TWO SECONDS I pondered this question of 2 vs 3 finger G - until reality screamed at me “you are 57 years old, you will NEVER be playing anywhere that anyone will care - so do what’s easiest and move on!”. Then I took another sip of wine and continued practicing. Cheers!

9 Likes

Karen,
I’m 59 and in exactly the same situation. Loved the post so …
‘Clink’ (that’s the sound of my scotch against your wine glass)
Cheers

3 Likes

I was browsing through the site to get more information on G chord and stumbled on an old lesson from the classic version of the website. Here Justin discusses the G chord in more detail and there is mention of more variations and when they are used. I’m curious, when the site was updated why was this information omitted out? Are the variations covered later in the updated version or is this only available in the classic version? Thanks!

1 Like

@dantejms There is plenty more to learn about the G chord as you move on through grades 2 and 3.

2 Likes

Thanks! Looking forward to learning more. Can’t wait.

1 Like

I’ll see your 59 and raise you 63… Creating neural pathways in a brain of sludge is no joke! The two-finger option sounds just fine to me.

4 Likes

With the 2 fingers G chord, is it better to use pinky (4th) instead of the ring (3th) finger for the last string since there is less movement when switching from C to 2-fingered-G?

1 Like

Hi there! I’m a not-so-beginner guitar player, going back to the basics to improve myself. When I learned G chord for the first time, I started with the 4 finger version. Just wanted to recommend for you to check it out, I think this way it’s a lot easier to change to D and Cadd9 (3rd finger stays on the same place both cases). Good luck and keep it going guys!

1 Like

What Justin said about the traditional three-fingered G major chord being hard, especially for chord changes, made me feel intimidated to learn it.

But as it turns out, the finger placement for the A major chord that he taught made it easier to do when using the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd finger (I just think of it like doing the A major chord but wider).

And in the case where I fumbled in a song, either my 1st or 2nd finger would naturally mute the A string making it the two-fingered version (and I can’t really tell the difference in a song), now I didn’t find it intimidating at all, in fact, it’s actually harder for me to change from any chord to D major and minor chord.

1 Like

Hi all,
I seem to have naturally fallen into the use of 4 (pinkie) for the two finger G. To learn songs I have been scrolling through the song I want to learn and writing the chords down. This very quickly shows me the repeating patterns of a song so when playing along I not only see the next chord but am aware of the pattern I am in and what the next few changes will be.
I have found that this gives me the option of a 4,1 or 4,2,1 finger G depending on what movements my fingers will make next and what sound I want.
I’ve only just started grade 2 and still re-doing some of grade 1 so I hope this is not setting bad habits for later.

2 Likes

If you are comfortable using your pinky, you might want to consider using fingers 3 and 4 for the 2-finger G and 2, 3 and 4 for the “normal” G. This is the traditional “folk” style G chord grip.

It’s very convenient for changing to C and also G7.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll have a play around with it over the next couple of days. Yesterday and today I have been working on getting the chord changes up to speed on the Troggs “wild thing”. It is a really good work out on changing between A D and E and a different strum.
And It’s a really cool song!
Cheers :beers:

1 Like

I have always played the G chord with fingers 3, 2 4 - makes it much easier for me to switch between G and C especially - what is the advantage of changing to 2, 1, 4 or 2, 4? Learn both and use the one that fits best with the required chord changes?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Bob
I agree that using the 324 grip is quicker to change to the C.

When playing songs using what Justin calls stuck 3 4 chords your ring and pinky fingers stay planted on the B and e string so you have to use 1 and/or 2 for the G chord.
-

2 Likes

Thanks! I appreciate your feedback - I’ll keep working at the new grip as I keep falling into the habit and maybe even use it if it makes things easier. It’s amazing how hard it is to ‘retrain’ your fingers.

1 Like

So I was using the app, and in the initial Practice the G Chord section, it has you use fingers 3 and 4, so

3x0004

Later, and in the video, it says to use fingers 2 and 3.

2x0003

There are advantages to both ways, but is there one that I should focus on?

1 Like

Called ‘Weak Finger G’ - a really useful grip that you will use a lot.

Later, and in the video, it says to use fingers 2 and 3.
2x0003

I don’t know why the second version is recommended after the first one as that is not a grip you will use very much at all once you can play Weak Finger G.

2x0003 is perhaps an easier prelude to 3x0004 as people follow the beginner steps. But 3x0004 will become most people’s first choice if not doing the Stuck 3 & 4 version of G.

Well… it’s the grip Justin teaches in grade 1, module 6, where he introduces the G chord. When you look at the description of the lesson under the video on the website, he mentions 2 grips: 2x0003 and 210003. No mention there of 3x0004.

1 Like

Yes, it is, you’re right. My bad. I should have contextualised and been more detailed in my reply. I have now edited it to give a fuller response. Thanks for the prompt and seeking a clarification.