The Humble Pick, Oh So Much More

Hi Craig,
And under Gordon’s first post there are several links … Maybe this can be of some use to you,
Have fun,
Greetings

1 Like

I use Wegen picks. 2.5mm for acoustic guitar, 1.5 for electric.
Tried many different ones - always go back to these.

1 Like

Definitely worth exploring picks! I did that a while ago, similar process to you.

I’ve settled on usually yellow tortex for electric, and orange or yellow for acoustic. Depending on what I’m playing. Orange gives some nice percussive hits.

1 Like

Jim Dunlop “Big Stubby” 3.0mm.

I’ve discovered I like chunky ones!

2 Likes

After trying so many brands, material, and thicknesses over many years I settled on dunlop tortex purples (1.14mm), but recently got some dunlop “the wedge” 1.14mm picks and they’re great too. The dunlops are just the right shape for me and I love the grip of the tortex material.

1 Like

I’ve landed on a wood pick as my favorite thanks to my wife.
She got me some unknown brand last fall.
I had no idea if I’d like them or not.

That was the thread I started about these new wooden picks shortly after I got them from her.

So far I’ve not lost any of the three. 2 are still new. I have one pick out period.

As you can see from the wear on it. I use it often. Interesting I think is that from the wear you can see how I’m hitting the strings with it. The angle.

I love the wooden tone it give when I’m using it either on elec. or acoustic. If ya dig in ya can play pretty darn loud. Easy to back off with it too and strum light.

I just find it a great tool and when I run out of them, I will have to go search where she got them on line somewhere.

If ya’ve not tried a wooden pick, I highly recommend finding some and giving them a try.
I’ve not used any plastic ones since acquiring these.

4 Likes

I like the feel of Tortex.

After some experimenting I’ve settled on the Orange Tortex 0.6mm for acoustic and the Tortex Black Jazz 3XL 1.35mm for electric.

2 Likes

I went through the same process in my first year of playing, bought a whole bunch of pick sets.
I settled with the orange Tortex as my main pick on acoustic and the Dunlop Jazz III on electric. Great sound also ( a bit fuller, darker and warmer) from the black Dunlop’s Nylon 1,00 and 0,88.

3 Likes

I use Dunlop nylon .73 or .88 for most playing (electric or acoustic) but I have trouble holding on to them. I try to make my stumming hand loose and relaxed to I can get the sound I want and then the pick ends up moving around between my fingers. I chose the nylon ones because they have texture to them that I can grip but does not seem to be enough. The biggest issue is when my fingers are too dry and I end up getting them wet (only stum hand) to provide some resistance there. Would a better / different pick help hold them more or am I just gripping too lightly?

2 Likes

Me too, I liked the 2mm to start with and have moved up to 3mm for lead playing and still on 2 mm for strumming. I found them quite easy to use after having used the tiny Jazz pick for quite a while, they’re nice picks for sure!

2 Likes

The decision to use a pick is always for me dependent on the song being played. Most of the time a pick is not wanted, cannot hold them long enough to be useful, unless of course they stay within my fingers. Some do.
My fingers are trusted over plastic, wood, leather or whatever. Fingerpicking is also my preferred style of playing.
All that said, for some songs, picks are more suitable, and for those it comes down to whatever is at hand, generally a Hergo Flex or Dunlop of whatever colour, and if all else fails, my fingers do the talking, albeit at a reduced volume. :smiley:

2 Likes

I tend to think that the shape of the pick (pointed vs curved) and strumming/picking dynamics have more effect on the actual tone than the thickness of the pick. I usually link thickness with the volume of the sound.

I’m more of a picker than a strummer and I use picks in the 0.60-0.90 range most of the time. If I need a softer tone or want to strum faster I’ll go down to around 0.50. I rarely use picks thicker than 1 mm even though I have quite a few of them.

2 Likes

Picks…
Literally dozens & dozens of picks in my “pick box”… I started playing years ago using only my fingers but decided to go with a pick because of low volume & initially only used Dunlop Big Stubby and Jazz III picks because they provided volume & were easy to hold on to… Since then I’ve branched out, a lot!!!
I have wooden ones in various thicknesses, coconut husk picks which I use when playing South Pacific/Hawaiian tunes (think Tiny Bubbles), felt picks that I use for Nylon string guitars (I know… “Sacrilege” scream the Classical purists!), stainless steel picks (they were a gift & are rarely used - although if I ever get into Metal…) and bunches of novelty picks - I even have some Mickey Mouse face shaped picks which I ALWAYS use when playing Sherman Brothers tunes!!! Vinyl, Tortex, other “plasticky” materials that I don’t have a clue about what they’re made of. Star picks, Clayton picks, Fender picks, Gibson picks, D’Angelico picks (I like these a lot), also picks that I never use… the one handed to me by Ranger Doug of Riders in the Sky fame which he signed, the one given to me backstage at a Cheap Trick concert in the '80s by Rick Nielsen (which he claimed John Lennon borrowed for a session they did together - I have my doubts about the veracity of that story) and a personalized 24k gold pick my daughter gave me for Father’s Day a couple of years ago!

My favorite “go to” pick is the Tortex red or orange. Justin got me to try the paper thin Dunlops - so I’ll use them occasionally as well. I’ve tried the Dava “grip” pick recently & though I like how stable it is in the fingers, don’t really care for the sound I get with one.

In regards to Craig’s original point - every material & every thickness change causes a difference in the tone/sound I get from them… so much so that the non-musical members of my family have noticed at times - “Dad, that sounds cool!!! Are you using a different pick than the one you were using earlier?” - so the point is this:
Picks are generally pretty cheap considering that relative cost to the rest of your gear… buy a metric ton of them & play around with them!!!
If nothing else, it give you an excuse to avoid house work!!!
“What’s that dear? Take out the trash & the dogs? Not right now, I’m really deep into this Pick Comparison & don’t want to lose my concentration!” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Tod

4 Likes

I have a box full of picks that I’ve collected over the years. The orange tortex was my go-to pick for a long time. I’ve alway had problems with holding a pick consistently at the correct angle - seems to move around my fingers as I play. Last year, I stumbled across Star Picks - they are comparable to the tortex but have a 10 point “star” cut out of the center. The star in the center really helps me keep the pick in the right position.

4 Likes

Just found this:

Interesting few minutes to spend!

Tod

P.S. If you don’t want to watch the whole video, skip to the last 3 minutes (about 11:50 to the end)
Rock On my Friends!!! :metal:

3 Likes

If you really want to dive deep, and I do mean deep. Check out the Troy Grady website. The guy delves deeply into picks like no other I have seen. :smiley:

2 Likes

this was incredibly fun way to waste time :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, Mal! Troy was new to me & I’ve watched a few of his videos!!! Cool to find new YouTubers to follow!!! :grin:

Tod

Great topic. I started with .68 and .88 picks and they were good for me as a beginner. After a few years a friend suggested going to a 1.5 pick.

With the thinner picks I really struggled to strum quite lightly.

It took a bit of getting used to the 1.5 but it’s now my standard and I can strum quite lightly when I need to. (I’m not an aggressive / hard strummer)

I have heard Justin comment the lighter picks are great for beginner level and that a harder pick is a normal progression.

Yet, I have a friend who’s a superb musician, has been playing for years and he sounds awesome with a .68

1 Like

Yes, he does make some interesting videos. :grinning: