The Justin Workshops

My band song on the Friday. When You’re Gone Bryan Adams. Does my bass player look familiar ?

3 Likes

How can he play that, it doesn’t have enough strings?

2 Likes

Think of the iconic bass guitar riff through the verses.

bum bum-da bum bum bum bum bum
Repeated
bum bum-da bum bum bum bum hum
[Vocal enters …]
Money, it’s a hit etc.
Now listen and count:

1 2-& 3 4 5 6 7

1 2-& 3 4 5 6 7

When the big build up brings a dynamic surge the song shifts gear for the guitar solo. Can you listen and sense that the music seems more urgent during the guitar solo? The time signature has altered to 4/4.
As it returns to the verse again the more languid and groovy feeling 7/4 returns. I have seen it also described as 7/8. No matter the bottom of the fraction, focus on a count of 7.
Note, at the very end it shifts to 4/4 again when the lyric outros on the single word ‘away’.

2 Likes

@eric.lennon Thank you for taking the time for such a comprehensive write up, sounds like the workshops are, as expected, an amazing experience. Quite amazing the amount you seem to cover in the week as a whole, the format of playing all lines in a band setting throughout must be invaluable for your overall musicianship, not just guitar.
Would love to follow in your footsteps one day!

Doppelganger surely, he’s not wearing a hat :wink:

1 Like

Wonderful write-up and what an experience, Eric. Great picture and now we know that you rock the LP, even if not (yet) done at a Community OM :wink:

Based on the write-up it looks pretty demanding in terms of being able to learn and play all the required parts. Knowing some of those songs, I’d definitely be happier in the audience and lending a hand to set up mics, the mixing desk, etc.

Would love to see some YT clips of the bands performing on the final day.

@Notter Mark, just for interest sake, Justin wears those caps for a functional reason rather than for fashion/appearance sake. He has a lapel mic clipped onto the brim of the cap. That ensures that the position of the mic relative to his mouth remains consistent, keeping the audio recording consistent, regardless of how his head moves eg when looking away at a PC screen or at some notes. This would not be the case if the mic was clipped onto the shirt front.

1 Like

Thanks David, nice insight into the production values and thought that goes into it! Just an association I’ve built up with Justin through the many hours of video lesson time spent with him :wink:

1 Like

Hello Eric, what an interesting and well written summary. It sounds like that week was quite a lot of work and much fun. Doing four different (and definitely not easy) songs in only four days - including vocals - is amazing :astonished:.
Thanks so much for sharing :hugs:.

What a great description

1 Like

Great write up Eric, this would definitely be an interesting trip to take one day and your write up really gives a nice idea of how things look like over there.

Hi Mark, 100% correct about the overall musicianship thing. I was surprised what it takes to play even a shaker or tambourine correctly

1 Like

Hi Adrian , good to hear that it made sense to you, my intention was to help people understand what to expect at one of these events

Hi David, hope you are well, I saw you could not be at the last OM I was at. There are videos going around from Justins camp , they have been shared with the participants , not sure about the protocol of sharing outside the group as they are not solo performances , it is always a band of different players.

1 Like

Hi Nicole, It was quite intense but Justin is great at managing the situation. He pushes you to get a bit out of your comfort zone but makes sure you don’t get to the point of being overwhelmed, this really makes it a safe environment. It has to be fun and he makes sure it is.

1 Like

That was a great write up Eric sounds like you had a blast! What a great sense of achievement you must feel having put in all that hard work and seeing that it paid off :clap:t3: :clap:t3:, great instagram clip of you playing - love the headband :smiley:

I think I recognise that guy :thinking:

Thanks for sharing and if you are allowed to share any vids I’d very much like to see them :smile:

Thanks for the entertaining write up Eric. It sounds like a lot of hard work but also a lot of fun as well. And with that combination I am sure the will be a net benefit. Would have paid to see you play some Foos !

:sunglasses:

I get that each time i hear the song but didn’t understand the change in time signature. I know better now thanks.

1 Like

Hi Nancy, I will have to check what i can share in terms of vids. btw, I belatedly replied to your introduction message, I think I am a couple of years older than you but I had quite a bit of recognition of some of the things you mentioned in your introduction which probably makes sense since I grew up in Scotland (Glasgow)

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner :grinning: OMG Toby - The Foos !!! I was dreading playing The Pretender. Really not my taste in music. However I did what a good student should do and I really made an effort to learn it also because Justin loves that song. It turned out to be great fun to play, I really enjoyed the experience, but it is not something I will have on my regular playlist.

2 Likes

Its on my list, which no doubt won’t be a surprise. Just love the energy it create ! :metal:

1 Like