The Justin Workshops

I was at the last 2 workshops that Eric attended, he provided a great summary of what to expect. Justin, Carlo, and Pete put together excellent workshops. This year Dave was a nice addition and had good tips for vocals and was an all around great contributor/ teacher.
I come from Denver Colorado, but even considering all the traveling, it was well worth it to attend.

7 Likes

Hello Brian, welcome to the community and thanks for your comment on Justins workshops. Even coming from the US to Italy - and that already for the second time - the workshops must really be fantastic :smiley:.

Hello Community. I’m Kevin. Richard asked me if I would post a little about my experience at this year’s acoustic workshop in Italy. Eric did such a fine job of writing his that I’m not sure there’s much I can add. It’s an incredible opportunity and I don’t really have the talent to express how much it meant to me. I recommend anyone thinking about going to have a good grasp on Grades 1 & 2. We met each morning at 10 for a couple or few hours covering basic techniques and learning new skills (or reinforcing them). After lunch we broke into four groups of four and practiced two songs, which we performed in front of the entire group after two hours. Saturday arrived too quickly and it was difficult to say goodbye to new friends. Justin, Pete, and Dave are the most accomplished teachers I’ve ever met and genuinely nice. Encouraging, insightful, humorous, and fun. For me personally, my most memorable event was performing “Wish You Were Here” with Justin. I sucked, but no one cared. We enjoyed being in the moment and letting music take us to another place. A shared existence. I have a long way to go on this journey, and attending the workshop has given me new friends and a desire to keep learning. And hopefully someday becoming a musician. Please send me any questions you have and I’ll answer them individually. You’re welcome to post those questions and answers back to this thread if you like, but I already have too many distractions from practicing. Forgive me.

15 Likes

Hi Kevin, thanks for offering your insights and write up of the acoustic workshop. It, like the one Eric attended, sounds like a heady mix of fun, practice, performance, fun, stepping outside of comfort zones, fun, collaboration, friendship, fun … and good food, drink and scenery too.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

So very helpful @eric.lennon ! This sounds so cool. Thanks for the reconnaissance, definitely interested in something like this …. Rod

Thanks for this @kevguitar , two trips needed to plan now :sunglasses:…Rod

1 Like

Thank you for that reassuring comment. I’m hoping to attend in 2024 and was initially overwhelmed my your write up. My lead guitar skills are definitely in the development stage! The rest I could possibly cope with (given that I would be able to practice for a few weeks by the sounds of things). Either that or I’m being a bit hopeful?!

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community, Mandy.

Perhaps the best way to get some feedback as to your degree of readiness for such a workshop would be to post some recordings of you playing in Audio-Video Of You Playing.

We also always encourage people new to the Community to post a short intro in Introduce yourself ... that covers some personal background, guitar history, and goals/aspirations as a member.

1 Like

I’m so glad this topic popped up, it was a great read. Thanks @eric.lennon for your writing and responses.
I love that Justin and his team are so open to people sharing their experiences, that shows how confident they are in what they’re doing.
Definitely on my bucket list to attend one of Justin Workshops one day, but that day is far from now still :sweat_smile:
Cheers!

2 Likes

Hi David. Thanks for the reply. One of the reasons for wishing to attend a workshop is to gain confidence in ‘performing’. I’d be hopeless submitting a video as I would be too self-conscious. I’m happy playing with friends as we are all so busy playing we are not too concerned about each other. I am learning the songs from this year’s acoustic/electric workshop and they feel achievable. My lead guitar is what will probably hold me back…which was what made me do a doublethink… Any ideas on whether the standard of ability is different for the Band Jam workshops vs the Electric/Acoustic workshops? I REALLY do want to get more out of my electric guitar playing but don’t want to choose the wrong workshop when attending from New Zealand. It’s really only the speed which is holding me back on my lead guitar. I guess I have a year!! : ) Old dog and new tricks comes to mind haha.

1 Like

@MTB_Mandy

I feel safe in saying that everybody who makes that first recording and shares with the Community feels that way, Mandy. And I can’t think of anybody who doesn’t confirm the benefits and express being glad to have taken the plunge. I think it would both help with learning and being ready to attend a workshop at which you may also feel self-conscious.

I really can’t comment. @eric.lennon is best placed to comment based on what he has attended, though maybe nothing more to add to what he has already shared. I think @Willsie01 is also goint to attend or maybe has recently attended an acoustic workshop, so may have something more to share based on his experience.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll get up to speed with some songs and take the plunge!

2 Likes

Hi Mandy, as @DavidP said, I attended the BandJam workshop down in Surrey a couple of weeks ago. It was a great experience, which I’m going to write up in another post. As an acoustic/electric workshop Ideally anyone going is happy to play both. We were given time to practice a set list ahead of the workshop. Even though I made plenty of very noticeable mistakes during the jamming I wouldn’t have missed the experience for the world.
I’ve posted videos in AVOYP and performed at some JG online OM’s. That prepared me for the workshop in lots of ways but I’m sure you can find your own best way. Good luck with your progress!

3 Likes

Hi Mandy, I have only attended band jam workshops so I cant comment with direct experience on the others. I have been to 4 of these now so I have experienced directly how important it is to Justin that everyone has a good experience and takes away useful learnings for their current level of playing and has fun. The workshops I have been to have people at all different stages of their guitar journey so I would really not worry about not too much about that. If you are already playing with others and feel comfortable with the songs like you mention then you have nothing to worry about in that respect.
I can understand it is a big investment in time and financially to go to EU from NZ, so if it could help i would be more than happy to have a Zoom call , I could explain better what I think you will encounter , share some experience and give you direct feedback on anything you would like to ask. I stay up late most every night and don’t have to worry about work anymore so I am sure we could find a time if that would be helpful. In the meantime I wish you the best of luck , I am sure you will enjoy Justin’s workshop.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for replying. Not sure how I missed it for six days! I’m feeling more confident now that I have learnt most of the songs for this year’s workshop. I’ll be looking at last year’s songs next. Just to get my skills a bit better! Thanks again!!

1 Like

Hi Eric! That all sounds very promising!!! A Zoom call sounds like a great idea. Having just retired from teaching prior to COVID I have missed out on Zoom but I’m sure that I can figure it out!!

1 Like