The Labyrinth Song · Asaf Avidan (cover)

That still makes no sense to me :thinking:
I was under the impression that hammer-ons (and pull offs for that matter) were purely a function of the fretting finger: hit it gently- soft tone. Hit it hard- loud tone. And you do them between strums.
Do we need an expert? :open_mouth:
(@Richard_close2u :rofl:)

Yoehoe… Do it yourself… hit your string softly and hammer on it… hit your string harder and hammer on it… does that second one sound louder? :blush:
Greetings

1 Like

Did the experiment :smiley: I agree, the sound is definitely louder when the string is vibrating strongly.
However, the loudness of the hammer on relative to the strum is greater, the softer the strum. (in the extreme, still a decent hammer on when there is an absent or very soft strum)
In this song for instance, the end of the chorus I play very softly. I think using a pick to ‘make everything louder’ would be a bit strange. (And I have a volume knob for that) :thinking:

1 Like

:sunglasses:You give your own answer through the option of the volume button… ideally it would be if you could strum as if you had the pick in your hand and hit the string extra with your index finger where you do the hammerson… Of course, try all this only if you want it louder…I’m now also trying to do it with my thumb, but that doesn’t make the rhythm guitar much easier (but I tried it for 20 seconds with my thumb)…thumb and index finger “squeezing” together works easiest for me here…

It’s not so much the volume of the hammer-on, it’s more that it’s more pronounced if it’s a one string hammer-on as opposed to that string being hammered-on as part of a chord.
Anyway it’s your version of the song so you’re the boss. :grinning:

1 Like

I’m with you now, Gordon :smiley:
I thought you were talking about simply strumming with a pick and that would make the hammer on louder (which it would, but the overall effect would probably be less desirable). I can see how picking the individual string instead of a strum would accentuate it. I might give that a go (with my thumb :rofl:)

1 Like

Great performance Brian and thank you for continuing to introduce me to music that I have never heard before. Playing guitar has certainly unearthed a liking / taste for various genres of music that I didn’t realize was there. Keep on posting Brian!!! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Love this Brian! :heart_eyes: so cool
I hadn’t heard of the song or the show before. It is very Nick Cave-ish, and the style suits you so well.
I really enjoyed your cover. Thanks for sharing :smiley: :sunflower:

1 Like

I just binge watched this series in the last week. I hardly watch any movies/series/tv etc , so this was a rarity; based on a recommendation. What a brilliant series; one for which you certainly need some brain power to process, then reprocess when the whole framework changes, then changes again etc… :nerd_face:
(I just packed up all my gear for the night before jumping on here, so will check out and comment on your song in the morning)

Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

I caught your emotion in the song. You seemed to really get into it, which really adds to the performance. You are a natural at it.

I’m not really into those types of shows, but you made me curious enough to at least go check out the trailers.

1 Like

Hey @Eddie_09 Thank you so much. Such a nice thing to say :smiley:

@Avalon426 Cheers, Jasmine :smiley: another Cave-compliment… Swoon! :open_mouth:

Cheers @sclay , I think that’s the first time I’ve ever come across a comment in anticipation of watching the video :laughing:
Hope you don’t set your hopes too high for an auditory extravaganza!

@pkboo3 Hi Pam, always a pleasure to hear from a collaborator of your calibre :smiley:
Much appreciated

2 Likes

Nope :smile:

1 Like

Is that a minor chord I see before me?

:slight_smile:
More weird goodness from the mouth of the Larsen.
:slight_smile:

I’m not very good at DIY and you’re asking me about hammers?
Fretting hand does the hammer-on and flick-off.
No picking / strumming needed beyond the initial hit to get the string ringing.
What was the question?

1 Like

Appreciate the listen and ‘funny’ comments, Sensei :roll_eyes: :rofl:
I should have tried to untag you, as we had sorted it out amongst ourselves.
It was kind of obvious really- simply that a hammer on is going to be louder if the string is already vibrating. Sigh.
Can never get enough weirdness though :wink:

That is whats has been really cool for me as well, the expansion of my taste in music. I have been totally digging it.

:metal:

2 Likes

Brian, This song really is in your sweet spot. I very much like your performance, emotion, dynamics, not to mention your Clapton casual attire.
Seriously, a very enjoyable performance and well done.

1 Like

Aw, thanks Dave. Much appreciated :smiley:

I have two looks- White Costco T on its own or with a shirt/jacket if it’s cold :rofl: