The machines have taken over

With all the concern recently about AI as guitarist we should be more concerned about this.

Michael

5 Likes

It’s obviously done more practicing than I have :joy:

4 Likes

Hi Michael,
I think it’s incredibly well built and I can think of many things to ensure that this isn’t a wasted effort in the end… but it sounds very mechanically computer-ish so musically I’m not worried :sweat_smile:
Greetings

4 Likes

Sounds kinda horrible. Could use some palm muting :smile:

1 Like

Astonishing!

Since I’m learning this song right now. This is a interesting video for me to see. You can see very well what’s taking place, playing wise.
I seems I may I may learn something from a machine.
I will say though. Justin taught me this song 1st. It appears to me that Justin has taught it very well too. The machine seems to follow his instructions very closely best I can hear. :wink: Me, I’m getting there…

1 Like

The maker of this device explains

There a more robots to find that play i see … but …well :blush:

1 Like

This is simultaneously the cleverest and most pointless thing I have seen today,

2 Likes

No threat to me. And I’m a technologist and fan of what AI is doing.

I play more than anything for my own pleasure. No machine can take that away.

1 Like

From an engineering aspect, that’s really impressive.

I also heard about another engineering student building an amp and pedals for his final project. I wish I had a cool guitar related project like that when I was studying engineering haha ! :rofl:

2 Likes

All I did in college was build a putty knife testing machine. :rofl:

1 Like

Mmm. Fancy, but not really inspiring, and sounds like shite.

For me, music is an extension of the person, whether that be intrument or voice.
Sadly, I feel, much modern music has moved away from this; and AI stuff such as this removes the human element completely. Clinical and one dimensional.
So, who is the ‘player’.

Give me an ‘imperfect’ Neil Young acoustic and vocal in front of a simple mic every day of the week.

Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

I agree… especially with what you say about the human element and imperfections. This thing sounds mechanical and has no self-awareness (well, at least not yet) of what it’s doing…so it can only sound like a machine.

It’s the engineer in my opinion rather than the thing itself. It’s only doing what the engineer has set it to do… and I can understand that this must have really been a fascinating project for him.

1 Like

Hardly a new concept though.

The pianola was invented in 1895 and the first instrument went on sale in 1898.

1 Like

All that moisture is going to ruin that guitar.

2 Likes

Wow! Yes, very clever but as others say lacking in that human touch. Maybe it could be programmed to make a few mistakes here and there :guitar::grinning:

1 Like

Also, very poor stage presence. Absolutely no charisma!

3 Likes

Guess the record companies will be queuing up to sign it then ! :rofl:

2 Likes